What amp do you use with your TRL Dude Preamp?

ThomasKott

What amp do you use with your TRL Dude Preamp?
« on: 29 Nov 2013, 03:15 pm »
Hi, I just bought a TRL Dude preamp and need suggestions on what amp(s) to match with it?  What combination do you have and what works well with this pre-amp?  Any details you can provide are much appreciated!  Thanks

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: What amp do you use with your TRL Dude Preamp?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2013, 03:45 pm »
  The TRL preamp is a neutral component which should mate with many amps. is high enough for the preamp.  What speakers are you using ? The Arion HS 500 hybrid mono blocks with the TRL Dude sounded great with Apogee Duettas.
     Knowing what speakers you will be driving is the $64,000 question before I can recco properly.

charles

ThomasKott

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2013, 09:11 pm »
I'll be running a Meitner MA-1 Dac into the Dude.  Speakers are the Salk HT2-TL's.  My amplifier budget may go up to $9,000.  Hopefully I'll find something used to stretch the level of performance I can achieve in my system.  I'm open to SS, Tube, or hybrid amp.  I want to make sure it is very detailed and open sounding. 

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2013, 02:46 am »
Big Red Machine (Pete) seems to like the TRL Samsons quite a lot with his Dude and SS8's. I heard them at his place and they were an impressive combo.

I used Acoustic Imagery Atsah monoblocks (Hypex NC1200's) with the Dude and found it a great combo as well. Quiet, very transparent, good tonality, and seriously dynamic amps.

doug baer

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2013, 02:59 am »
I have a balanced Dude, and when I bought it I had the Krell FPB 600 mono blocks. I also had a BAT-VK 150SE pre-amp. The BAT and the Krells were a very quiet combo. But I often found myself not really getting into the music. I was restless wondering why I was not enjoying the music with such expensive front end. That is when I decided to try the Dude and boy was that a good decision! My enjoyment of music was greatly improved. For a while it was great. But after a while I started to notice the limit that the Krells were were enforcing on the sound. That is when I bought the TRL GT 200 mono blocks. A perfect match in which music is now very enjoyable. But getting back with your original question the Dude will enhance any amp. It is just a matter of what you are looking for in sound.

WireNut

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2013, 03:23 am »
The Dude is an awful good preamp and I'm not sure how you like SS amps but the Audio Research 100.2 is a nice amp that has a cult following. It's a true balanced design with unbalanced inputs as well. I picked up my used unit a year ago for $1500.00.

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2013, 04:18 pm »
While preamp-amp matching is important, I think that speaker-amp pairing is much more crucial.

Lissnr

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2013, 12:08 pm »
Hello and congratulations on your Dude! You now have arguably the finest pre-amp made for less than a zillion dollars. Additional good news is that it truly works well with a wide variety of amps both tubed and ss. I have successfully used mine with Conrad Johnson monoblocs (Premier 12's with KT-88's and 6550's), Classe solid state (Model 25 @ 250 wpc), Cary SA 280 v12 (both EL-34 and KT-88)and know it will make the assets of any amp shine. I am currently finished with my amp search as I also run TRL's mighty GT 200 monoblocs (using KT150's) and will never look back again in amps. Again: congratulations and take good care of your new baby. You will love her like you've never known! :D

doug baer

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2013, 03:52 pm »
GT200 monos rock! Also they are sexy when is required. Congrats.

Lissnr

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2013, 10:41 pm »
The TRL equipment is simply superb. If the Salks don't demand tremendous power, I
would try the new Audio Research Ref 75... It's an amazing amp.

Here's one of my GT 200's

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2013, 01:42 am »
The TRL equipment is simply superb.

Here's one of my GT 200's

So the Duelunds are doing well in the GT 200 amps & in The DUDE??? Are they broken-in yet? Inquiring minds need to know!

Berto

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2013, 01:59 am »
I've heard Lissnr's Dude/GT200 combo several times and it's a match made in heaven.  If you need power ( 100watts+) this is a end of the road combo IMO.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2013, 02:00 am »
GT200 monos rock! Also they are sexy when is required. Congrats.

Wow man!  Get some bras for those babies!

Lissnr

« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2013, 02:29 am »
Aren't they purty? The 150's are amazing... The mids compete with my favorite EL-34's midrange and take the frequency extremes like the best KT-88's or 6550's on steroids... The KT 120's were a "step in the right direction" but the 150's really do the trick: how can a tube possibly mix midrange magic, extended frequency extremes, intense bass, sweet open highs AhND all the speed, transparency AND punch of the best solid state designs? I don't know for sure but Tung Sol and TRL have the magic when you put em together. Oh but don't let me forget the Duelund cast copper caps in the Dude and the GT - 200's (and finally in the Lampizator Big 6 too) are all far enough along in break-in to finally be " gelling" with the same amazing voice. Thanks for asking. P.S. I just looked at the Salk website again ( I haven't visited in awhile) and was admiring them again ( especially the phenomenal veneers) and it looks like the ht3 really does want some power ( and is a 4 ohm load) so you will likely need much more than just a Ref 75....I wonder how a big pair of those Manley 250 monos ( EL - 34 based!) or 500's ( KT-88's or ?... Could they run the 150's???), would sound? Good Luck

Lissnr

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2013, 05:14 am »
Ok, so I just looked back and realized you were using the HT2's (my mistake) which are obviously much easier to drive.... My guess is that Ref 75 may surprise you as strong enough... Unless it's a really big room.

ThomasKott

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jan 2014, 02:26 am »
Thanks for all the feedback!  I made up my mind.  I am going to match the Dude with a TRL ST100 stereo amplifier.  It should be a great sounding match......