Most important features on a DSLR

ThuanDB

Most important features on a DSLR
« on: 28 Nov 2013, 06:16 am »
What do you find the most desirable features on a DSLR which you own or plan to own?  Let me start by saying that IMHO the high speed sync, back button focusing, and low light performance are top on my list.

Happy Thanksgiving!

geowak

Re: Most important features on a DSLR
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2013, 01:43 pm »
That is a great question.
Most often, many people do not learn all the features that a DSLR offers on the camera they own themselves. They don't learn the basic, important ones. But the most elusive and important feature on a DSLR is the lens. Some offer better quality optics, which is ALWAYS a quality that matters in photography. Some offer the ability to open wide for those shots in low light. Wedding photographers have a list of "must have" lenses for those shots they cannot miss getting.
I like the ability for DSLR's to choose a bracket of apertues or shutter speeds. I also like the RAW file feature. Most images are tuned up in Photoshop or some post editing software and RAW files give the photographer the most flexibility to do this.

Part-Time Audiophile

• Bright. Shiny. Mine?
    • Part-Time Audiophile
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2013, 02:11 pm »
Most important? Wow. Would have thought that'd be easy.

Image quality is definitely a function of optics, but the camera has a lot of impact there, so for me, image quality is #1.

Availability of good glass is next.

After that, I would guess focus accuracy.

Then, maybe speed.

RAW output is a must.

A usable ISO range is important, but lower on the list.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2013, 04:26 pm »
Depends on a lot of things, mainly your own shooting style.

Good glass is paramount. 

For me a high frame rate is critical since I shoot a lot of HS and college sports.  At age 62 I rely more and more on 4 to 5-shot bursts than perfect timing, and a big LCD screen is also help.   Here's a shot I did just last night that required a fast lens and rapid frame rate.

Low noise at high ISO would be next.

Frankly, with the overwhelming/quickly forgotten supply of images and the fact that most are used/shown electronically, sensor quality is overrated except for the very best of us.   Cynical?  Guilty as charged.   :thumb:

ThuanDB

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2013, 05:29 pm »
Thanks for chiming in.  I agree, those RAW capability, high burst rate, sensor and optics quality are must-have too.  There are many occasions I turned away from an otherwise great dslr because it's lacking one or several such features.  Better optics I usually take for granted, as I think there must be a good balance of camera body and lens in terms of quality.  RAW is commonly offered with modern DSLRs.

Let me add a few more.  User customization, AF fine tuning, double memory card slots, easy access to functions, and weather seal have just crossed my mind.

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2013, 08:22 pm »
Depends on a lot of things, mainly your own shooting style.

Frankly, with the overwhelming/quickly forgotten supply of images and the fact that most are used/shown electronically, sensor quality is overrated except for the very best of us.   Cynical?  Guilty as charged.   :thumb:

You are right on the money I think. It takes very concentrated effort to utilize all the resolution of these bigger and bigger sensors. This year, I upgraded to a medium format Phase One P65+ back and it is about impossible to use to its maximum potential in the studio unless you are shooting tethered to a computer so you can check focus at 100% magnification. A number of pros I've talked to say they've had a steep learning curve when it comes to focus issues and bigger sensor size.