B60 questions and a problem

JarrettH

« on: 4 Aug 2004, 04:16 am »
Hello

I just purchased a Bryston B60 for $900CDN used...can you believe it?!

Anyway, I see the revision on my board is 1.5. Have there been any other revisions to this unit? If so, what changes have been made. Just curious.

Now my problem is a hum emitting from both speakers. If I turn the volume up close to half way I can hear a low humming noise and it gets louder the more I turn the knob up. Possibly a ground loop. From what I've read it is possible to solve the problem by removing the ground on the power cord. I'd rather choose the safer route and see if Bryston, from what anyone else has experienced, can repair this problem. I've read about it on AudioAsylum as well so I gather it is not my "own" problem. I have tried turning off the source (Arcam CD72T)...no effect. Nothing else is connected to outlets in this room aside from my audio gear. I owned a NAD C350 previous to this and never had this problem so I imagine it's something to do with the amp. My speakers are Kinima Hi G1 http://www.zetagcorp.com

Fortunately I live in Mississauga, ON so I have no problem transporting the amp myself to Bryston instead of paying for their costly packing.

Thank you very much for reading my problem!

JarrettH

DeadFish

« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2004, 12:00 pm »
Hey There,
No hum outa my B60 in 4 years of driving it.  I'm sure the folks at Bryston can fix you up.  I've sent mine off to the fixit place in the States and had it back within 9 days of sending it off.  Outrageously fine service, when you have to have it.
Does it hum with absolutely nothing plugged into the input?  If so, I'd guess it were time for the folks that know it best to take a squint.
Wish I could be more help
Regards,
DF

JarrettH

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2004, 05:24 pm »
It doesn't make the noise with the RCA's disconnected from it. It's not being used for any video signal. With the power cord on CD Player detached it makes more of a buzzing hum and with the power cord attached it makes just a hum.

I'm just so convinced it's the amp though, I hadn't heard this noise living with a NAD for 2 years. Could it be a problem with the power in this apt?

DeadFish

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2004, 10:21 pm »
Personally, I'd try and find something else to connect to the amp and see if you get the same kind of results.
What I think I hear you saying is with the amp alone connected to the speakers, no noise.  With your cdplayer attached whether plugged in or not, there is some noise.  That don't sound right, to me, and not that I would necessarilly blame the amp.
But I'm just a layman and I just drive the thing and listen.
That just seemed the logic of it to me.
Ah, here's another question, have you tried the cdplayer on any other inputs?
Just a thought...

DF

Kei

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2004, 02:23 am »
if you have another pair of interconnects, try that.

JarrettH

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2004, 03:14 am »
Yeah, with the CDP attached plugged in or not, POWERED or not, same noise. I just tried using a cheater plug (aka...the power cord Arcam ship with missing a ground plug on one end) and the noise gets much much worse. I'm just going to end up taking it there tomorrow. It isn't such a HUGE problem, but why live with it if it can be corrected.

JarrettH

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2004, 03:49 am »
Little update...

So they find nothing. I take it home and separate it from the CD Player just by putting it on the floor for a bit, little difference. I switch power cords, from the more expensive one on the CD Player to the amp and vice versa. This eliminates the problem, but I like sound of the more expensive power cord on the CD Player better and the stock cord on the Bryston. Next, I crank the volume on the amp and move it's power cord around touching/not touching the CD Player cord because they are in close proximity. It DOES get worse when they are close or touching. Anyway, so I fixed the problem...apparently the right channel IC coming OUT of the CD Player must have been loose. I heard the hum and made sure the IC connections were secure, and the hum went away (and could easily come back through that channel). :D

I'm a friend of the person who makes my cables actually, so he's going to send me the plugs, cable, and solder so I can do it properly. I wasn't as educated at the time about rcas, solder and all that stuff and ended up using the Ultralink rcas on my old IC and some poor solder. It'll only cost the price of plugs.

Thanks for the tips!

JarrettH

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2004, 03:51 am »
Out of interest, the tech said he could modify my existing model (from April '96) to a newer revision. Would involve a newer circuit board safer for protecting speakers when powering up/down and new transformers as far as I know.