Beyerdynmaic cups for Grado

R_burke

Beyerdynmaic cups for Grado
« on: 25 Nov 2013, 02:35 pm »
Love the sound of Grados, but hate the comfort.  I've tried the Senheiser HD414 and flats, still not happy with the comfort.  Was considering paying the big bucks to Headphile ($270+) for his C pads, but came across this guy on Ebay and am now working with him to have a pair made for my RS-2's and thought I would share.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231101805269?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_443wt_1105

Quiet Earth

Re: Beyerdynmaic cups for Grado
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2013, 02:48 pm »
Have you tried the large salad bowl pads yet? I bought a set for my old RS-2s, and they really improved the comfort. They are designated for the flagship phones, but I think they fit all of the Grados.

Worth a try here : http://www.amazon.com/Ear-Zonk-Replacement-Headphone-Cushion/dp/B00BW4RWH2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385390646&sr=8-2&keywords=grado+earpads

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2013, 03:01 pm »
I modded a set of Grado SR60i's significantly a couple of years ago.

I used 3 sets of pads to find the right comfort level, and treble balance for me.

I found the stock pads bass heavy, and not that comfortable for 2+ hours.

The mid size pads were good, but it was not balanced enough for me after the bass mods I made.

I found the HUGE pads perfect.

I have since sold the phones, with all 3 pads on Head Fi (they were advertised here too).

The new owner things the stock pads are the best!

If you can find a local dealer or Head Fi meet, you could try them all and decide for yourself!

R_burke

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2013, 07:49 pm »
Have you tried the large salad bowl pads yet? I bought a set for my old RS-2s, and they really improved the comfort. They are designated for the flagship phones, but I think they fit all of the Grados.

Worth a try here : http://www.amazon.com/Ear-Zonk-Replacement-Headphone-Cushion/dp/B00BW4RWH2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385390646&sr=8-2&keywords=grado+earpads

Thanks, I didn't know they fit RS-2s.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2013, 03:34 am »
I would try the ones Quiet Earth and mgcxr are talking about first.  I tried a pair at capitol audiofest last year and they were actually tolerable, a first for me with Grados.  It shouldn't cost an extra c-note to obtain comfort that other manufacturers deliver right out of the box. amazon sells them for a little over $50 IIRC. $270 is flat out ridiculous IMHO.

R_burke

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2013, 01:47 pm »
It shouldn't cost an extra c-note to obtain comfort that other manufacturers deliver right out of the box. amazon sells them for a little over $50 IIRC. $270 is flat out ridiculous IMHO.

I agree which is why the guy on Ebay who is selling them for under a $100 interested me, although that is still a steep price.  He did say he was looking into some after market beyerdynamic cups that could bring his pricing down to close to $65, but he wanted to see and try them before offering them to others.