SS8's and Red Wine Liliana Monoblock Amplifier

yetis

SS8's and Red Wine Liliana Monoblock Amplifier
« on: 24 Nov 2013, 03:20 am »
So,

While it was a joy build the Hypex Ncore, I sort of long for something with a little more forgiving sound. I always liked the sound of my px-25. Alternatively, I would really love to get a set of the smaller Pass mono blocks, but here in NYC, three of those would be hard to deal with.  So, I ventured (not very far) and noticed that Vince at Red Wine Audio is now doing a mono-block with some guts, 230 watts RMS per channel into 4-ohms.  So, has anyone experience with Red Wine and Salks?  Comments welcome.

« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2013, 10:54 pm by yetis »

fsimms

Re: SS8's and Red Wine Liliana Monoblock Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2013, 07:11 pm »
That is an interesting post.  You have a similar system to mine.  I guess you don’t like the relative dryness and naturalness of the NCores.  I personally find the softness of the tubes in my preamp and the ambiance bloom of the SoundScapes more than adequate compensation for the ruthlessness and plainness of the NCores.  When I add a tube phonostage and vinyl the NCores really turn into my cup of tea.  They sound so natural to me and have a see through quality.

The clarity and expansiveness of the soundstage coupled with the detail and richness of the vocals makes me like the NCores a great deal.   I now have Aluminati cases on the NCores and they significantly improve these same qualities.

Please post your impressions on the next amp that you get in this thread.  That would be a very interesting comparison.

Bob

« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2013, 04:09 pm by fsimms »

strateahed

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2013, 03:10 am »
Interesting posts so far. I recently took delivery of NCore 400's enclosures from Silicon  Ray. Just about the same time I started seeing some very positive buzz regarding the JOB 225: http://www.jobsys.com  Of the few who have compared the NCores, all have preferred the JOB. Pricing is about the same as the NCore modules and power supplies. This has caused me to re-think the decision to go the Hypex route. At first, it seem like a natural progression, since my current amps are Channel Island D-200's. Now I'm not so sure. Admittedly, this is a little off topic, but given the stated character of the JOB - in terms of bass driver control - it might be worth a listen.

yetis

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2013, 10:52 am »
Very interesting product. Not much to look at. They are cheap enough that one could bi-amp them, with two amps for each speaker. Plug that into a multi channel room correction system like the triangle and it could make the salks really sing!

Nick77

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2013, 01:30 pm »
Interesting posts so far. I recently took delivery of NCore 400's enclosures from Silicon  Ray. Just about the same time I started seeing some very positive buzz regarding the JOB 225: http://www.jobsys.com  Of the few who have compared the NCores, all have preferred the JOB. Pricing is about the same as the NCore modules and power supplies. This has caused me to re-think the decision to go the Hypex route. At first, it seem like a natural progression, since my current amps are Channel Island D-200's. Now I'm not so sure. Admittedly, this is a little off topic, but given the stated character of the JOB - in terms of bass driver control - it might be worth a listen.

Also considering ordering the Ncores but have taken notice of both the Job 225 and the Rouge Audio Sphinx.  :scratch:
Im sure the RWA would also be sweet but more costly.

yetis

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2013, 08:55 pm »
Vinni posted this on the red wine site. Compares many of the items above.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/11/27/magnepan-and-tekton-meet-pass-labs-odyssey-job-merrill-red-wine-audio-first-watt-and-vitus-audio/

Jim,

Any reason the Lillian would not be a good fit for the ss8's?

Have a good thanksgiving!

yetis

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2013, 03:13 am »
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with the Red Wine Liliana speakers? Also, does anyone have experience with Aesthetix Atlas amps?  They would be paired to a set of Salk SS8's.

Thank you