Father and Daughter speaker build: "TriTrix MTM"

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
Re: Father and Daughter speaker build: "TriTrix MTM"
« Reply #180 on: 22 Dec 2013, 11:30 pm »
Bob thanks for the offer of joining your family but with a wonderful daughter like Abbie I don't think I would be able to keep up or measure up!

I was suspecting that is why she was holding it that way. Getting the work surface down below her so she could sit might help but you never know.... A couple years from now perhaps the Abbie grip will be all the rage with the airbrushing crowd!

Projecting the image onto the speaker was truly impressive. You are one smart cookie!

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #181 on: 23 Dec 2013, 12:29 am »
Those seemingly little tricks like using the projector will give her some ideas when working on future projects.. Very cool! You're doing a great job Bob.
Keep it up and have a great holiday season!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #182 on: 23 Dec 2013, 10:04 pm »
Guys, Thank you both.  :thumb:

I was indeed pretty proud of the projector trick.   :lol:

Tull - Yea, her little finger doesn't have the fortitude to keep that button pressed down, so this is the best way she could come up with.
lowering it may indeed help, I'll try that.

Bob

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #183 on: 23 Dec 2013, 10:11 pm »
Now tell the truth Bob  :roll:
How much of this project can be attributed to the fact that you now enjoy "Taylor Ham"

:lol:  :rotflmao: :lol:

All kidding aside it's great to see the relationship that you two have.

Happy Holidays

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #184 on: 24 Dec 2013, 01:17 am »
Taylor ham ("Jersey Pork Roll") is one of the worlds most spectacular foods that can be grilled and put on a toasted bun. Amen.
My daughter thinks it's extra super cool that she's adopted from New Jersey, which is where "Jersey" pork roll comes from.  :thumb:

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!!!!!  :xmas:

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #185 on: 1 Jan 2014, 10:27 pm »
Much time has gone by, but not much has been accomplished. As it turns out, Abbie doesn't like to airbrush. Not even a little bit.
After discussing with her how she'd like to proceed, here's what we (she) decided on;

- Re-prime the speakers white. This will "erase" the airbrush attempt, all pencil tracings, and the use of the projector to show images of the bird on the speakers.
- Paint the front and rears of the speakers a solid color.
- Make a second attempt at painting a Phoenix, albeit using a technique other than airbrushing.

So the last couple days consisted of the comparatively boring process of adding a couple coats of white primer.
Today, we tried to use a solid color, in typical spray paint, to give the fronts of the speakers some "life".
As it turns out, the smell of spray paint is too overwhelming for Abbie, so Dad (that's me) was left to do the dirty work.

Abbie chose a beautiful color of brilliant cranberry for the fronts, and a metallic dark gray for the rears.

Here's a couple photos of the front and rear.

Due to the kindness and generosity of "mcgsxr" (Mark, in addition to his daughters Easton and Cadence), Abbie is now the proud owner of a BRIGHT RED AudioCircle t-shirt.
Of course, he chose red because Abbie seems to wear a lot of red during the build process and the fact the St. Louis Cardinals are red.
Well done Mark, Cadence and Easton. Thank you very much. Abbie LOVES the shirt VERY much. Here's a couple photos of that as well, in addition to the note found in the packing slip from UPS.

mcgsxr

« Reply #186 on: 2 Jan 2014, 03:28 pm »
Glad she likes the shirt Bob, it was a tradition Lonewolf started many years ago when he sent my daughter a shirt after seeing a shot of her in my listening chair, so it seemed appropriate to pass along the good feelings to Abbie with all her hard work.  My 8 and 10 year old daughters were mesmerized by the pics of a girl building speakers, so they were in on it too.

Looks like good progress for sure, I especially like the cranberry and grey treatment of the front and rear.

I wonder if a decal of an appropriate phoenix would make her happy, and be simpler to apply and change in the future?

In any case, I am sure the 2 of you have some great ideas!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #187 on: 2 Jan 2014, 03:49 pm »
Cool, thank you again Mark, Easton, and Cadence.   :thumb:
I've thought about a sticker/decal, but haven't brought the idea up to her yet. She's kicking around the idea of not doing the birds at all.
As we finish various stages of the project, I explain the next steps that need to be completed, and that's when I give her all the various options she can choose from. She almost seemed stressed about the task of painting the artwork, so last night was the fist time I gave her the option of painting solid colors without any artwork. Based on the way she perked up, I'm thinking we may not have a phoenix after all.
But after you reminded me about the sticker idea, I think I'll bring that up to her. Thanks for that.  :D

Bob

Captainhemo

« Reply #188 on: 3 Jan 2014, 05:18 pm »
Looking good Abbie and Bob.  I also think the 2 of you will come  up with a great plan to finish these off .
Keep it up  :D

BTW, love the shirt   !!

-jay

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #189 on: 3 Jan 2014, 06:22 pm »
Those phoenix images are really pretty, but they are an advanced artistic form that takes much practice to replicate.

Something like this would be much easier to get onto the sides by her hand.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #190 on: 3 Jan 2014, 07:04 pm »
Jay, thank you very much!

Pete, good looking pics, thank you. The first one looks like a chaulk drawing that got wet, pretty cool.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #191 on: 8 Jan 2014, 04:46 pm »
Well...as we all know, a girl is entitled to change her mind, right? ;)
She has chosen to not paint the bird of fire afterall.
She wants the box to look "mystical", but other than that, it's all she wants. No artwork.

Ok then. 
Here's what I came up with for "mystical".
I took the cranberry used on the front and top, and the metallic gray and "fogged" the sides. I presented the new look to her and she likes it a lot.
She did the other three sides. Once we're finished with "mystical", we'll give it a final sanding and some form of clear coat. We've actually darkened then up a bit more than these two pictures show.
After that, it's a matter of re-assembly.

navin

« Reply #192 on: 9 Jan 2014, 04:53 am »
She wants the box to look "mystical", but other than that, it's all she wants. No artwork.

They remind me of the tie-dye shirts from the late 60s .

dflee

« Reply #193 on: 9 Jan 2014, 03:36 pm »
Bob:
You need to put on some Van Morrison, Into the Mystic.
They look really good. I'm sure she will love them for many years to come (or till next build).

Don

Captainhemo

« Reply #194 on: 9 Jan 2014, 07:17 pm »
They remind me of the tie-dye shirts from the late 60s .

yeah,  they kinda do....  I think  they look pretty cool  :thumb:

-jay

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #195 on: 9 Jan 2014, 08:40 pm »
Yea, they do look "seventies tie-dye".   :lol:

Bob

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #196 on: 10 Jan 2014, 02:22 am »
Bob and Abbie,

Years ago I was involved in a Boy Scout project. The boys wanted a mystic type thing, too. What was developed is very much like what you have there. However, one of the Dads brought in some glow in the dark spray paint from Krylon. It said it was clear, but if you weren't just *misting* it on, it looked like the color of any glow in the dark toy you've ever seen. Anyway, we went to home depot and bought a 4 foot single fluorescent tube plug in fixture, with a cord, ballast and everything for less than five bucks. We bought a four foot black light tube for slightly more than that. The "mystic" came alive! It was awesome.  :D

I don't know if that paint is still made, but it might be kind of cool, even if it only gets used on a test board.

Great job, both of you!

Have fun,

Jerry

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #197 on: 10 Jan 2014, 02:30 am »
Hhmm.....that's a cool idea.
We'd have to make sure that weird lights casting eerie shadows wouldn't cause nightmares, ya know.  :lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #198 on: 10 Jan 2014, 04:02 am »
Hi Annie and Bob and all Audio Circle.
Each time you post pictures of Annie and her work it makes me happy.
Cannot put into words my feelings your posts bring me.
I can only say: Thanks.
I hope to see soon the completely finish product sitting in her final place.
Thanks again.

Guy 13

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #199 on: 10 Jan 2014, 04:06 am »
Thanks Guy. Abbie says "Thanks" as well.  :wink:

There's no doubt that we'll show photos in their final location.
Bob (and Abbie)