Placement of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers

AudioShopper

Placement of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers
« on: 18 Nov 2013, 08:58 pm »
I originally put my question into another thread, but I think now that I should have started a new topic. My apologies--this is my first posting here. I have modified my original posting to remove it, and I think I understand now how to post correctly in the forum, so here is my query: I am replacing an old pair of Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers in our apartment (I bought my last speakers 20 years ago!), and my pre-sales research led to these Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers. But we live in a very small apartment, and the speakers must be placed inside a bookshelf, with only about 1 inch of space behind it. I am not an audiophile, but I do listen to a lot of all kinds of music, as well as to DVD movies, and I have learned that these speakers have a port on the back, and that most people suggest placing them at least a foot from a rear wall. That's impossible for us to do, so my question is do you think I will just give up some bass if I buy and use the speakers by placing them as I've described? I don't insist that they sound at their optimal best, but I certainly don't want them to sound bad, and I'm too ignorant of acoustics and speaker design to know if that will be the case. Thank you in advance for your help.

srb

Re: Placement of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2013, 09:08 pm »
Placing them in a bookcase cavity with boundaries on all sides except for the baffle might actually give you increased, bloated and muddied bass.  If that turns out to be the case you might want to experiment with completely or partially stuffing the port and see how it sounds.

Some "stuff a sock in it", I personally use a strip of rolled-up foam, while others attempt to tune the output with a bundle of tightly fitting soda straws where the length of the straws affects the tuning.

It's easy to experiment and while not the optimum placement, I'm sure you can come to some compromise that gives you an enjoyable sound and clarity, albeit with decreased bass.

Steve

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2013, 09:18 pm »
They sound fine up against a wall. If you want to play them at a loud-ish level, they sound much better at their recommended two feet away from the wall.

I've read a lot about these and their competition. If you can shell out a few more bucks, most people say you'd be better off with the Cambridge Audio S20's or S30's sound quality-wise plus they have no ports.

I have these Pioneers and they sound good.

AudioShopper

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2013, 10:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies and the info! But now I'm somewhat confused. Can I really just stuff something into the port? I hesitate to do that, because I had guessed that the port, it's size and placement, etc. we're all carefully calculated by whoever designed the speaker. But like I said, I don't know much about the physics that may be involved. Regarding the Cambridge Audio options, the S30 is noted as discontinued, and the S 20 has a rating of 2 stars on Amazon, but 5 stars on Crutchfield, where I just ordered my new Yamaha RX-V375 receiver (that replaces a 20 year old Sony!). The extra cost of the Cambridge speakers isn't a problem, but what to do? I had thought that the Pioneer speakers were by far the best in their price range, and well beyond that price, according to most of the things I read. By the way, a friend suggested I get a pair of Audioengine P4 speakers, which are more expensive, but still affordable, but I'm concerned that they don't have speaker grills, so I'm afraid that they would be more vulnerable to damage by children, carelessness, etc. Anyway, my budget is about $250-$300 for 2 speakers, and they must fit on the shelves, backed up almost all the way to the wall (with no more than 1 inch clearance behind them). I thought the Pioneers were a bargain, but perhaps I should get something different. What would you suggest, in my price range and with my needs (and I'd be glad to send less than the top of my budget possible). Thanks again for the advice.

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2013, 10:08 pm »
I have mine about 6" from the rear wall and they sound fine.

Wayner

soundbitten1

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2013, 10:17 pm »
I have mine about 6" from the rear wall and they sound fine

Likewise. I originally had them on a shelf until I got some stands for them. Like them much better away from the wall.

AudioShopper

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2013, 11:02 pm »
Thanks, but unfortunately I can't place them 6" from the wall or on stands. It's a very small apartment, and the new speakers definitely must go on shelves in the bookcases, with no more than 1 inch behind them--exactly where the old (non-ported) speakers have been for the past 20 years. So I'm not sure now which speakers to buy, and I'd welcome any and all advice. Thanks!

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2013, 11:37 pm »
Well, there are a lot of positive reviews for ARX speakers -
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1429229/the-official-arx-owners-thread-a1-a1b-a2-a2b-a3-a5-etc
Nothing that I've read there says they don't sound bad up against a wall.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?p=arx-a1b-monitor-loudspeaker&products_id=65&

And people really like the Ascend Acoustics -
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html
Though that too, has a rear port.

Then there's always the NHT mini-monitors which have no ports.

AudioShopper

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2013, 06:37 pm »
Thank you so much for the additional information, and for pointing me in the direction of some other speakers. I really appreciate the help, and we'll make a decision this week about which ones to buy. Thanks again!

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2013, 02:56 am »
Thank you so much for the additional information, and for pointing me in the direction of some other speakers. I really appreciate the help, and we'll make a decision this week about which ones to buy. Thanks again!

No problem. Glad to help. I don't think you'll be unhappy with any of these speakers.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2013, 05:00 pm »
I've read a lot about these and their competition. If you can shell out a few more bucks, most people say you'd be better off with the Cambridge Audio S20's or S30's sound quality-wise plus they have no ports.

The Cambridge S30 is rear ported and needs at least 3 inches from the rear wall.

However, the S20 is sealed.