Chassis for Bugle??

Julien43

Chassis for Bugle??
« on: 3 Aug 2004, 04:52 pm »
Hello... I just ordered a Bugle PCB and would like to find the dimensions, and a few sources for a chassis. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!
Julien

Carlman

Chassis for Bugle??
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2004, 05:25 pm »
I used this aluminum case from LMB Heeger.  (EAS-500)

The case will have a lot of scratches all over it when you receive it, though.  I bought some in silver for another project and had to refinish them completely.  So, out of 3 cases, they were all scratched.. a few deep scratches but mostly light ones.

The plastic cases from Digikey are unacceptable to me.  They are just cheap, flimsy plastic boxes that should be $1 or so.  

Also, you may be able to get something from Par-metal. (www.par-metal.com)  If it's not custom, it should be a fairly easy situation.

-C

BradJudy

Chassis for Bugle??
« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2004, 08:04 pm »
I used a Hammond extruded aluminum chassis.  It's a little too tight - I had to sand down the edge a bit and shave off half of the grounding nut, but it's a great fit otherwise.  I'll see if I have a pic somewhere.

Edit2:

The Hammond cases are available from Mouser and run $18 each IIRC.  You can get them with plastic or aluminum panels.  

Edit:

I have a lousy pic in my gallery - the case also comes in natural aluminum anodizing (dull silver)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=119

erimille

Chassis for Bugle??
« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2004, 03:31 am »
Quote from: Carlman
I used this aluminum case from LMB Heeger.  (EAS-500)

The case will have a lot of scratches all over it when you receive it, though.  I bought some in silver for another project and had to refinish them completely.  So, out of 3 cases, they were all scratched.. a few deep scratches but mostly light ones.

I also have the EAS-500, which I've found to have ample room for the Bugle and powersupply. I've stacked mine and built around this preamp an input selector switch - at this point things are getting a bit more tight :|

Jsrun (over at diyaudio) is putting together a group buy on http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38231">small Aluminum enclosures. If I hadn't have bought the EAS-500, I would have seriously thought about this option. I've bought some RCA plugs and binding posts from a previous group purchace he's arranged and the quality is incredible for the price.

My EAS-500 case was also scratched up pretty bad. I've yet to figure out how best I'd like to (re)finish this. :?

--eric

erimille

Chassis for Bugle??
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2004, 12:56 am »
Quote from: erimille
My EAS-500 case was also scratched up pretty bad. I've yet to figure out how best I'd like to (re)finish this.

err... Carlman, how did you end up refinishing your case?

--eric

Carlman

Chassis for Bugle??
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2004, 01:38 am »
I'll have to take some photos... but, I bought silver cases and then used a 4" wire wheel brush (coarse) and my power drill to create a new finish.  They turned out quite nice.  They need a coat of clear after this process, though or they attract fingerprints.  The 2 cases I did this to were for a pair of Scott Nixon monoblocks but, they are the same Heeger EAS-500 I used for the Bugle.  The Bugle case is black... and may be able to have the same effect but, I was tired of this... it creates a lot of dust, you need a clamp, must be outside for the aluminum dust going everywhere... and I just wanted to get the preamp finished.

BTW.. You can see photos of the Bugle (not the silver cases) here.

Hope this helps.

-C

erimille

Chassis for Bugle??
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2004, 01:09 pm »
Thanks Carlman for the suggestions (and helpful pictures).

I started looking into powder-coating at one time but ran out of steam. I'm interested in keeping this black. The fit and finish of the Heeger EAS-500 is not the greatest and I was hoping a nice powder-coating might hide some (but I'm guessing not all) of the problems.

--eric

Julien43

Thanks Folks... Your help is much appreciated!!!...-t
« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2004, 11:29 pm »
nt

ohenry

Chassis for Bugle??
« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2004, 01:21 pm »
Here's my Bugle in a Hammond case.  I built the power supply and have it situated in a slightly larger (same length, a little taller and wider) Hammond case and they look nice together.  Like the previous poster stated, that Hammond is a little tight, so I'd recommend the next size up to simplfy installation.  It's really amazing how good the Bugle performs.  Have fun!!!