Newgrass is just like Marijuana . . .

Hantra

« on: 3 Aug 2004, 02:48 pm »
:lol:

Actually, I don't know that much about that kind of grass, but I do know how all the politicians say it is a "Gateway Drug", and often leads to other, worse drugs.  

Newgrass is the same thing.  I started listening to newgrass as a Grateful Dead fan looking to expand on my Garcia collection.  The Pizza Tapes was an instant addiction, and almost instantly I gravitated toward Tony Rice.  I have picked up countless newgrass albums since then, and been to many many shows, and even MERLEFEST!   :wink:

Problem is, when I started listening to newgrass, I'd tell people "Yeah I like NEWGRASS. . but not BLUEGRASS. . . I don't like some old whiny-ass bluegrass." . . .   But since then, I have even started listening to some old, whiny bluegrass!  What the? ? ?   And I have even BOUGHT some of that!  

NOW, I am finding myself branching out.  First it's Alison Krauss, and the bluegrass version of the Dixie Chics  :oops: . . .   All pretty harmless b/c it's more bluegrass than country. . . But today, I am flipping channels on XM, and I hear a COUNTRY song on the COUNTRY station.  I stopped b/c I liked the vocals. .  I listened to the ENTIRE song from this band called Shedaisy!?  And I LIKED IT!   :o

It's going downhill fast man, and I'm scared. . .   I gotta go throw on some good old Megadeth. . .  And maybe 12 steps with that will get me off the slippery slope. . .  

Anyone else find themselves liking stuff they never thought possible?

B

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2004, 03:05 pm »
I found most of my "new, never thought I would listen to this/them" music from comp. discs.  When I had Wayne1's demo disc (should have burned a copy) I picked up a few artists from.  One being Bella Fleck.  Check out Live Art, I like the 2nd disc especially.  Some really good solos.

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2004, 03:10 pm »
Bluegrass and metal could easily have similar time signatures.  Bluegrass has a pretty thrashy beat to it and very technical playing so they aren't all that different IMO.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2004, 04:24 pm »
I especially like Kraus & Nickel Creek, and I've been sort of exploring to see what other newgrass bands I might like.  Yep, it's addictive.  I've been listening to Bela Fleck, too- but I'll say his CD of classical music adapted to Banjo is not entirely sucessful.

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2004, 07:19 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I especially like Kraus & Nickel Creek, and I've been sort of exploring to see what other newgrass bands I might like.  Yep, it's addictive.  I've been listening to Bela Fleck, too- but I'll say his CD of classical music adapted to Banjo is not entirely sucessful.

Give his double cd Live Art a try.  It's priced right.  If you can handle a few red neck whoops and hallers from the audience it great.  Lots of fast pickin' fun and his base player is great.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2004, 10:30 pm »
Also be sure to try some Doc Watson (about any album) and Norman Blake (Whiskey Before Breakfast and Fields of November/Old and New are amazing).

Norman Blake has done 2 albums with Tony Rice (Blake and Rice and  Blake and Rice 2  .

Martin also just came out with 2 Norman Blake signature guitars - only 5K and 10K!

Doc Watson of course pretty much ushered in Newgrass in the 60s and had a major influence on guitarists such as Garcia, Clarence White, Blake and Rice before Rock and Roll took over for a while.

Also Norman Blake is a great mandolin player as is David Grisman...

...and...you know the scene in O Brother Where Art Thou? where the boys play in the radio station and the guitarist does this amazing solo guitar version of "I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow" ? That was Norman Blake! (on the soundtrack, not the actor) Norman Blake.

Can you tell I am a big fan?  8)

DeadFish

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2004, 01:29 am »
Yer goin' to Hell, Hantra!

:lol:

Ayup, first Newgrass, then bluegrass, and pretty soon....
Polka!

hehehe

Since getting into the GOOD gear, I have totally fallen in love with most acoustically played music, as the nuances in the sounds of the instruments just trips my trigger.

If you got into the Garcia/Grisman stuff, I probably don't have to tell you 'bout Grisman's 'TonePoems', as Rice does some nice work with him there.
I've followed out about any artist along the way that ever played with Garcia or Grisman, and on and on.
Then Grappelli got me following up on fiddle players..

I would thoroughly recommend experimenting with Darol Anger.  Another eclectic with tons of fiddle behind him, a few 'Psychograss' albums, and one heck of a lovely album called 'Heritage'.
Billed as 'a new interpretation of American roots music', this is a real piece of work by which I measure any hifi gear I consider to buy.
Tons of great players and familiar music, I generaly make the offer to friends and acquaintences that I'll pay for their album if they don't like it.
Haven't had to yet.  
Now I cannot afford to put this blanket thing out to everybody, but I bet given what you say you listen to Hantra, it would be a safe offer to you.
 :wink:

The torture doesn't quit when following up with new/old genre, but I have given my wife permission to have me neutralized with prejudice, should I bring home any polka stuff.  I think I still have some time left...

Happy Motoring!
DeadFish

Hantra

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2004, 01:34 am »
Man I heard a decent bootleg of Anger with Mike Marshall. . .  That was pretty far out there for me, but this album is probably not as spacey as what I heard.  I'll check it out for sure.  

Thanks for the recommendation!

B

DeadFish

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2004, 02:18 am »
By all means, Anger has his own approach to his world of 'Space', but so did Garcia, and he didn't 'live' there and did some sweet stuff on other levels.  I've got about 5 various albums by him, and he almost always plays with Mike Marshall.  Some of it I only listened to a couple of times...
 :wink:
...but some of it always makes me come out for more.
I think it was back in the '70's I first picked up a piece of vinyl of the Barbara Higbie quintet, and Anger did some great stuff on there, though it was certainly a little 'spacey', now that I think on it, for the dark, quiet of the late nite.
You've got me thinking now that you mention a 'boot of Anger/Marshall.  Will have to go poking about and see if there is any 'out there'.
By all means, I cannot brag on 'Heritage' enough, as my friends might tell you.  I liked the album *before* I had anything other than ratshack gear, and as I upgraded each piece, this was one of those recordings where you realize they have captured some real 'blackness' from which the music can reach out and envelope you.  Lets just say, one of the best recommendations for an 'album-nobody-heard-about-for-some-reason-I-don't-understand' category.
Regards,
DeadFish

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Newgrass is just like Marijuana . . .
« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2004, 04:28 am »
Quote from: Hantra
 It's going downhill fast man, and I'm scared. . . I gotta go throw on some good old Megadeth. .  
B,
    I've seen this condition before. As mentioned...bluegrass, newgrass, then polka....might stop when you hit Bubblegum. Try singing a few lines of "Sugar, Sugar"...might stop the fall, and perk you up a bit.....  :jester:  [/list:u]
      (if you want the truth...i'll tell you the truth....your getting older....and thats the truth !!!! :) [/list:u]

Hantra

Re: Newgrass is just like Marijuana . . .
« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2004, 10:05 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
if you want the truth...i'll tell you the truth....your getting older....and thats the truth !!!!

I can't haaandle the truth!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Hey Fish, I'll see if I can run across that bootleg again if you might want a copy.  Also, I'll take a listen to Heritage. .

Thanks!

B