2.5B SST^2 vs 3B SST^2

R. Daneel

2.5B SST^2 vs 3B SST^2
« on: 9 Nov 2013, 04:07 pm »
Hello!

I have a few questions regarding these two amplifiers. For one, the 3B seems to be significantly more expensive than the 2.5B even though the power output is similar. Are there any other differences apart from the power output?

One other thing is the circuit breaker which seems to be replaced with a typical fuse on the 2.5B. Wasn't the circuit breaker implemented precisely so that it wouldn't colour the sound? Why wasn't it used in the 2.5B?

I was planning on using the BHA-1 as a preamplifier so if some of you have any experiences to share, I would be greateful.

The speakers which I am planning on purchasing would be standmound monitors, something from the likes of Harbeth Super HL5 or perhaps a Kef reference 201/2.

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

Re: 2.5B SST^2 vs 3B SST^2
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2013, 01:44 pm »
Anyone?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 2.5B SST^2 vs 3B SST^2
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2013, 02:29 pm »
Hello!

I have a few questions regarding these two amplifiers. For one, the 3B seems to be significantly more expensive than the 2.5B even though the power output is similar. Are there any other differences apart from the power output?

One other thing is the circuit breaker which seems to be replaced with a typical fuse on the 2.5B. Wasn't the circuit breaker implemented precisely so that it wouldn't colour the sound? Why wasn't it used in the 2.5B?

I was planning on using the BHA-1 as a preamplifier so if some of you have any experiences to share, I would be greateful.

The speakers which I am planning on purchasing would be standmound monitors, something from the likes of Harbeth Super HL5 or perhaps a Kef reference 201/2.

Cheers!
Antun

Hi

The 3B has double the output transistors over the 2.5B - 8 instead of 4 as well as a much bigger power supply.  That means the 3B can drive much more current into low impedance loads.

The circuit breaker is required due to power draw and is a hyrdro safty requirenment.  Not necessary on lower powered amplifiers.  It is not in the circuit path so has no effect on sound quality.

james