GR M130 as Oneway Fullrange

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
GR M130 as Oneway Fullrange
« on: 7 Nov 2013, 06:46 pm »
Hi,
Iam using the midrange Beyma 5mp60/n for some years:
http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%205mp60n-1.htm
And it have a audible plastic timbre due the polypropilene cone.

Being the M130 a similar drive I wonder if there is any info about the M130 sound quality performance as oneway fullrange or even three M130 16 ohms in paralleling bass reflex mini linearray or yet a triple transmission line??

I like big floor boxes around 1,5metre tall if possible.
Thanks

srb

Re: GR M130 as Oneway Fullrange
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2013, 07:59 pm »
I would think you would only be happy with a driver that naturally (and sharply) rolls off around 10KHz as a full-range driver if you have the corresponding limitation in your high frequency hearing.  I can hear reliably out to between 16KHz and 17KHz, so it wouldn't work for me.

That's why I think 3" to 4" drivers are best suited as full-range drivers, anything larger seems to at least require some kind of secondary HF cone, IMO.  (YMMV)

Steve

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2013, 08:08 pm »
Also, it starts to fall off in its off axis response after about 3KHz.  It's really meant to be crossed to a tweeter.  Good driver, very smooth, but it begins to beam as you go up in frequency.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2013, 08:17 pm »
Thanks boys for these relevant details.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2013, 11:15 pm »
I have tried them that way, and it does cover a pretty wide range.

The problem is baffle step loss that needs compensation for and the top octave is missing.

And the range from 2kHz and down sounds great from this driver, but from 2kHz and up any good tweeter will smoke it.

And lining up three of them in a mini line source doesn't work at all. Doing that with any driver doesn't work at all. The upper ranges are killed by comb filtering effects that can be seen as low as 2kHz.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2013, 12:09 am »
Thanks Danny for these first hand infos, I appreciated;
I unaware the comb filter appear this low.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2013, 02:35 am »
Thanks Danny for these first hand infos, I appreciated;
I unaware the comb filter appear this low.

Rule of thumb on two drivers covering the same range is to measure the acoustic centers. Then look at this wavelength chart to find the wavelength of that distance: http://www.soundoctor.com/freq.htm  You will have cancellation effects in the off axis down into that range.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2013, 06:30 pm »
Rule of thumb on two drivers covering the same range is to measure the acoustic centers. Then look at this wavelength chart to find the wavelength of that distance: http://www.soundoctor.com/freq.htm  You will have cancellation effects in the off axis down into that range.
Thanks again Danny. :thumb:
Freq and space have a tense relationship.