Higher temp damping material suggestions?

brj

Higher temp damping material suggestions?
« on: 7 Nov 2013, 06:20 am »
Hi everyone.

My listening room is my family room, which has a gas fireplace insert.  I recently installed a fireplace blower to give me the option of using the fireplace as an actual heat source rather than pure decoration.  Air enter enters through a vent under the firebox, gets blown up the back behind the firebox, and then out over the top of the firebox.

The catch is that the space under the fireplace that houses the blower is made entirely of galvanized steel sheeting.  The blower is fairly quiet at lower speeds, but even the slight vibration from the motor is significantly amplified inside the sheet metal cavity.  I'd like to apply some damping material to the blower housing, the "floor" of the cavity, and the "ceiling" of the cavity (which is also the bottom of the firebox).

The floor of the cavity doesn't seem to get hot, as I'm always able to touch it.  I don't believe the blower itself will get especially warm either, as it has no metal parts in contact with the firebox with which to conduct heat.

The ceiling of the cavity, however, gets warmer.  When the blower is running, I can hold my hand in contact with it for several seconds before wanting to pull away, but gets hot enough when the blower isn't running that I have to yank my hand off immediately.  (The blower triggers when the temperature sensor mounted to that surface hits 120 deg F.)

Given that, does anyone have any suggestions for damping materials that would work in this higher temperature environment?  A self-adhesive vinyl floor tile would probably suffice for the floor, and I suspect that any flexible damping material would work on the blower, but what about the ceiling of the cavity?  I need a damping material that won't melt or harden over time, and with a high temperature adhesive.

I'm aware of Dynamat Extreme and its less expensive competitors, but I've read multiple reviews of them failing when mounted inverted in a high temperature environment, like the underside of a car hood over the engine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!