Optical or USB output on iMac?

Poultrygeist

Optical or USB output on iMac?
« on: 5 Nov 2013, 04:47 pm »
I just bought an iMac and wondered if I should go with the optical or USB connection to my Audio GD DAC?

jparkhur

Re: Optical or USB output on iMac?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2013, 04:58 pm »
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?67518-iMac-usb-vs-optical-out

start here

I believe there is a limit on optical output at 96, rather than usb can go 384...

JP

Poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2013, 10:05 am »
Thanks

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2013, 12:54 am »
I am curious as to why you don't try both for yourself?

jparkhur

« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2013, 01:22 am »
You may have to invest in and pick prior to buying unless there are those to borrow him Dacs.  Many Dacs don't come with both outputs thus doing the investigation prior to putting down good money.  Just a thought and an issue I ran in to also

Poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2013, 10:00 am »
Now I have tried them both but I had to purchase a mini-toshlink to standard toshlink  cable to do so.

Can't tell any difference with my DAC between USB and optical.

raysracing

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2013, 08:58 pm »
For me out of the 09 MB Pro with Audirvana there was a slight tip of the hat to the USB, even though it topped out at 16bit, 96Khz (If I recall) and the Toslink on my higher res recordings could match some of my even higher files.  It was a subtle difference and I think it was more realism on the USB and maybe just a tad brittle on the highs with the Toslink even though the files were playing at less than full ummm..resolution? But now that I am not trying to hear a difference I cannot hear a difference and I am happy with both. Now I just go with whichever I have available.

applesource

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2014, 09:59 pm »
I went with a quality glass optical out to a dac 16/96 for a couple of years with good results. Then I went to usb out via a Musical Fidelity V Link II to the same dac 16/96. Result to my ears was an improvement in SQ especially vocals and tighter bass.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2014, 07:43 pm »
The USB output from my computer through the Yellowtec PUC2/L USB to AES adapter blows away the optical output from my computer to the optical input on my E. E. DAC.