Many questions about the Visiun

boe

Many questions about the Visiun
« on: 4 Nov 2013, 08:35 pm »
Hello,

I'm debating between two center choices - the visiun is one of them.

I'm thinking about mounting just below the ceiling (above my screen) so I'd think it would need to have the protruding tweeter on the bottom size - any issue with that?   I figure I could have an L shaped shelf on both sides of it to hold up the speaker.

Does it have a front grill?   All the pictures I see of it show the actual cones.

Are there any retailers in Los Angeles?   I see a number of used ones on line but none new and since I haven't even heard it, I'd probably want to purchase from a place I could return it if I'm not thrilled with it as it is significantly more expensive than the other speaker I'm thinking about getting.

JackD201

Re: Many questions about the Visiun
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2013, 01:31 am »
Hi Boe,

There's Manny in West Covena and if he doesn't have any in stock, VSA is about an hour away in Riverside. The Visiun is a very heavy loudspeaker, just be sure the mounting and your studs can take them. :)

Jack

boe

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2013, 06:07 pm »
Thanks!  I'll try to check it out.  I just got a really good offer on a brand new ML Stage X so I may end up getting that so I don't have to worry about mounting the VS.

boe

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2013, 07:47 pm »
I just heard a rumor there may be some new models coming out shortly from VS, I may wait to see what happens.

Malcolm02

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2013, 06:25 am »
I had an email conversation with Albert early last year about center channel speakers. I was choosing between the LCR-4 and the Unifield center, but he said he was overstocked on the Visiun and could give me an incredible price. I never found out what that price was as this unit is just too big for me (went with the Unifield center) but you might consider an email or phone call to be worth a try.

boe

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2013, 04:15 pm »
Thanks for that info.  I guess if I got an amazing deal I'd consider it.    What I'm hoping for next year's model a slimmer one that wouldn't protrude as much from the wall.  It could be longer to keep the volume the same.   I'd prefer something that was 45 x 10x 10 than something that was 30x15x10.    It would allow for a bigger screen for most people who don't want the speaker on stand in front of their screen (if they have a cabinet under their screen).   

My cabinet is about 35" off the ground with no space for a speaker with all the other components in it.    I currently have a 65" screen but hope to have an 80-85" in the next 5 years.    I'm debating between a  ML x stage for space reasons and cost or a VS to match my fronts VR-4SR

JackD201

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:40 pm »
Hi Boe,

This is how I set mine up. SR+Visiun is a MUST for any SR owner really serious about movies.

boe

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2013, 01:13 pm »
That is a nice set up!

Only problem for me is that I live in an apartment - I can tell from your pictures, you cabinet is nearly a foot lower than mine (based on the top of the bottom half of the VS) and you ceiling appears to be about a foot higher.   The cabinet being about a foot lower might not seem like much but it really changes where the center will have to go.   If I put my speaker on top of my cabinet people would have too look up too much.   I always feel bad for my friends who have to put their TVs over the fireplace and I don't want to be one of those guys.   Mind if I ask the size of the screen; I'm guessing about 80" but can't be sure.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2013, 03:22 pm by boe »

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2013, 05:00 pm »
Hi Boe,

It's a 100" cheapo. I chose it only because it was a ceiling drop down type as opposed to a wall drop down. It's crinkly as all heck but isn't much of an issue when the movies are playing. I wonder how much better it might be with a Stewart or somethin'. Oh well.

On the sound, if the ideal is to have 3 identical loudspeakers up front, this combo is as close as one can get giving up only bass extension in the center. Great having exactly the same drivers across the front. The soundstage is even more panoramic than the image!

I see what you mean about the height issue. We do look up at the screen but it's okay since we are reclined for movies. I think I would hate watching edge of your seat programs (sports) with a screen set very high.

boe

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2013, 07:15 pm »
Thanks.   My friends typically sit on my couch (non reclining) which is across from the TV.

I would love to have matching - that is why I haven't pulled the trigger on the Martin Logan deal.   I could get the ML from someone who has 1 brand new X stage remaining unopened for $2300 including shipping.   This would be easy to mount to the wall and wouldn't take much space.  Obviously far less expensive that a vision.

I could possibly get a vision used for somewhere (provided one becomes available) in that  price range then find some way to mount it however it will certainly be much more obtrusive due to its height and depth.   You have the space for it, I'm a bit pressed for space.   I'll do a quick search for a used vision just to get a ballpark on the price.   I called a dealer that was listed above but he had no visiuns at all in stock.

I'll try to hang in there long enough to see next year's VS series (if they do release a new one) as I'd like something that is a slightly better match for my VR's.   If wishes were fishes, I'd love it to come in the same beautiful cherry finish as the older VS speakers.   Of course even if they come out with a new model next year it may be just as deep and as tall as their current one and probably more money as I'd have to buy new.   

I do love the sound of my VS but the battle for space and money also come into play.    I'll certainly know better when it is confirmed if they actually do come out with new speakers and their price range and size (quite a few factors there).

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2013, 07:30 pm »
As Jack says having the same type or "brand" if you will, up front is the best way to go.  I have ML Aerius i's and a ML Cinema center.  I must admit that it sounds great.  The two rear (only 5.1) are a couple of in-wall Speakercrafts that do a great job.  Sub duties are handled by a two Velodyne 12's.  May as well talk about the electronics...an Integra DHC-40.2 pre-pro, an Oppo BDP-93 and a B&K 5 channel 200 per ch...oh and cables.  The Screen is the Stewart 110" Firehawk lighted up via an Epson Pro Cinema 6010.  All in all not a bad setup for blockbusters and football.  :thumb:

boe

« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2013, 04:33 am »
As Jack says having the same type or "brand" if you will, up front is the best way to go. 

If VS comes out with something that physically and fiscally matches my needs I'll be sure to go that route.   I'd love to be in a beta test group for his products but then again I'm sure most of us would be.

Malcolm02

« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2013, 06:10 am »
When you first asked about the Visiun I assumed you have a big room and generous budget. As you live in an apartment and have a limited budget, I might suggest the Visiun would be overkill. My Unifield center matches my VR-33 very well sonically in a medium sized room. It (or something similar) might be compact enough to fit on a shelf inside your cabinet if you could make the space and not have a cabinet door in the way. Jack's setup looks awesome but I bet it is not in an apartment.

I agree though that integrating a center channel speaker with a large screen TV is one of the great unsolved problems of our time.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 11 Nov 2013, 03:07 pm »
When you first asked about the Visiun I assumed you have a big room and generous budget. As you live in an apartment and have a limited budget, I might suggest the Visiun would be overkill. My Unifield center matches my VR-33 very well sonically in a medium sized room. It (or something similar) might be compact enough to fit on a shelf inside your cabinet if you could make the space and not have a cabinet door in the way. Jack's setup looks awesome but I bet it is not in an apartment.

I agree though that integrating a center channel speaker with a large screen TV is one of the great unsolved problems of our time.

The best way to remedy this if space allows is to not place your equipment rack between your speakers.  The center channel speaker can then be easily hung on the wall below the screen...voila  :thumb:

boe

« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2013, 03:12 pm »

Yeah - sorry - I do live in squalor.   I could justify a top amount of about $3500 for a center if it was something truly special.   The unified center is fine if you are directly in front of the TV however if you sit off center as I frequently do, the Visiun seems to have much better reviews for people in this predicament and is better matched for the VS SRs according the VS website.

I'd also like some new rears that are slimmer than any VS speakers they currently offer.   I have a couple of Magnasphere Gammas for the rears.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2013, 04:19 pm by boe »

boe

« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2013, 03:13 pm »
The best way to remedy this if space allows is to not place your equipment rack between your speakers.  The center channel speaker can then be easily hung on the wall below the screen...voila

I don't really want to put my equipment rack in my bathroom or  kitchen though - space is a little tight in my apartment to put it anywhere but my living room.   Right now the grand ballroom is getting the floors refinished and the solarium can get warm which could be bad for the equipment, and the equipment rack might interfere with the sliding ladders in my library.

« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2013, 05:38 pm by boe »

JackD201

« Reply #16 on: 11 Nov 2013, 07:38 pm »
Have you given the VS LCR-4 some thought? Not a Visiun but seeing as all VS speakers, both Unifield and VR, share a voice, it should work.

boe

« Reply #17 on: 11 Nov 2013, 08:33 pm »
Have you given the VS LCR-4 some thought? Not a Visiun but seeing as all VS speakers, both Unifield and VR, share a voice, it should work.

Thanks - I did give it some thought but the reviews weren't so great in an environment such as mine with people sitting off center.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 11 Nov 2013, 09:46 pm »
I don't really want to put my equipment rack in my bathroom or  kitchen though - space is a little tight in my apartment to put it anywhere but my living room.   Right now the grand ballroom is getting the floors refinished and the solarium can get warm which could be bad for the equipment, and the equipment rack might interfere with the sliding ladders in my library.

..a comedian in our midst

boe

« Reply #19 on: 13 Nov 2013, 04:06 pm »
Is VS going to be at CES this  year?