Downsizing

rodge827

Re: Downsizing
« Reply #20 on: 5 Nov 2013, 02:26 am »
This product just might fit the bill for your surround sound issues:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAWA3.html

It is a wireless amp that is specifically made for just this reason.

$319.00 from Outlaw Audio

Chris 

rodge827

« Reply #21 on: 5 Nov 2013, 02:39 am »
I'd think about unloading something else...

I did that, after seven years I'm lonely.

Lori is a keeper!  8)
Anyone who can patiently sit and smile through a lunch while two audio nuts discuss electronics, speakers, and music is all right in my book!

Good move Dan!  :thumb:

murphy11

« Reply #22 on: 5 Nov 2013, 02:58 am »
Lori has been tentatively talked into the Maggies in the living room, I said they look like Japanese screens.   :roll: 

Japanese screens - brilliant! :)

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #23 on: 5 Nov 2013, 03:07 am »
Lori is a keeper!  8)
Anyone who can patiently sit and smile through a lunch while two audio nuts discuss electronics, speakers, and music is all right in my book!

Good move Dan!  :thumb:

Yes, that's right!  Chris is the only one here who has met Lori.  (Another woman was with me down at Cap Fest, we won't mention that will we gentleman)  Anyway, we had a lovely lunch down at the Seaport and Lori is very accomplished at mixing well with whatever crowd she is with, from corporate to bikers.  We were talking about you earlier Chris, I was describing an audio show and I said clone me for about 50,000 guys, 50-60 something balding, paunchy guys with disposable income.  She said is there any women, I said there are three.  Then she said that guy we met wasn't like that.  I said yes, Chris is part of the much smaller subset of 40 something tan, non-balding guys with disposable income.  However most of them actually rep for manufacturers or blog on ezines, very few are freestanding audiophiles like Chris or Bob in St Louis.

charmerci

« Reply #24 on: 5 Nov 2013, 03:20 am »

Lori has been tentatively talked into the Maggies in the living room, I said they look like Japanese screens.   :roll: 

But they do look like Japanese screens!

Hey, don't we get first dibs on your sale???   :lol: 

RDavidson

« Reply #25 on: 5 Nov 2013, 04:36 am »
This product just might fit the bill for your surround sound issues:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAWA3.html

It is a wireless amp that is specifically made for just this reason.

$319.00 from Outlaw Audio

Chris

Not a bad solution, but they're pretty expensive for such small amps, plus they aren't sold "complete" ie as a stereo / surround pair. They make you have to buy another separate transmitter module, so at the end of the day you're looking at closer to $500 (if I remember correctly). I actually looked into these myself a couple of months ago, but decided it'd be better and more economical to buy a 2nd of their wireless transmitter systems ($150 ; I already own 1 that I was using for my sub at one time, but have since moved) then buy a good, reliable, and relatively compact amp (Adcom 535). http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAW3.html

Total investment = about $400. Letitroll98 already owns a 535II. He'd just need the transmitters. My solution may not be as nice, neat, and compact, but the Adcom would likely smoke that little Outlaw amp.......and for less $.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #26 on: 5 Nov 2013, 04:50 am »
I don't know man. I think downsizing is downsizing. It's not eliminating, and it's not hiding out in the bedroom with all of your junk. Its an opportunity to do things differently, it's not an ending. I think you will be surprised how many audiophile rules you can break and still enjoy your music. You might even enjoy your music more than you do now.

Why not try something like this, but place the speakers up against the wall (and close to furniture) where they are meant to be? Let your girl and best friend pick the finish, and let her decide where to put them in the room.

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=65216

Keep it simple and user friendly, then the two of you can enjoy music the living room. Trim all the gear down to an integrated amp, a nice small pair of wall friendly speakers, and a killer CD player. If there's room for phono fine, but if not - dump it. Enjoy your new life. It's an opportunity to share something you love in a new and simpler way.

Someday I will downsize my system. I will keep my speakers (or maybe get a pair of Js)' and jam 'em up against the living room wall in my new little condo. I will probably drive them with an Otto signature. I'll keep the CD player, but sell everything else.

Best of luck to you two, and happy moving.  :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 5 Nov 2013, 02:03 pm »
I don't know man. I think downsizing is downsizing. It's not eliminating, and it's not hiding out in the bedroom with all of your junk. Its an opportunity to do things differently, it's not an ending. I think you will be surprised how many audiophile rules you can break and still enjoy your music. You might even enjoy your music more than you do now.

Why not try something like this, but place the speakers up against the wall (and close to furniture) where they are meant to be? Let your girl and best friend pick the finish, and let her decide where to put them in the room.

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=65216

Keep it simple and user friendly, then the two of you can enjoy music the living room. Trim all the gear down to an integrated amp, a nice small pair of wall friendly speakers, and a killer CD player. If there's room for phono fine, but if not - dump it. Enjoy your new life. It's an opportunity to share something you love in a new and simpler way.

Someday I will downsize my system. I will keep my speakers (or maybe get a pair of Js)' and jam 'em up against the living room wall in my new little condo. I will probably drive them with an Otto signature. I'll keep the CD player, but sell everything else.

Best of luck to you two, and happy moving.  :D

What QE said!

General question:  Can an audiophile not be obsessive? 

Question for you:  Is it OK to mellow out the equipment demands as life changes?

My advice is to enjoy your music with simple/compact equipment.  For $99 a little Logitech UE smart radio has replaced old/bulky/semi-funky leftovers in our nice living room for casual listening (which is all we ever used it for anyway).  It has a 6-hour battery, so I've brought it into the dining room for dinner ambience and to the kitchen during meal prep/clean-up (which sounds better than the old stuff one/two rooms away).  And last night she even asked me to turn it on while we sat in the living room (she never did that with the old stuff).  The old floor standers replaced stand mounts and sub in our A/V system (with slight loss of deep bass, but in your case would be more dog friendly) - another simple/compact solution!  Quality self-powered desktop speakers with a DAC could be the perfect solution in your small/squarish (guessing computer) room (near-field setup and lack of bass takes care of poor room acoustics and disturbing Lori/neighbors).  Add headphone capability if desired.

If you really want small speakers for A/V, consider 'The Clue':  http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue53/clue.htm

Frankly the biggest mistake most audiophiles make IMO is over spending on gear compared to the crummy listening environments (small/square/not isolated/not dedicated) that they are limited to.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #28 on: 6 Nov 2013, 12:08 am »

What QE said!

General question:  Can an audiophile not be obsessive? 

Question for you:  Is it OK to mellow out the equipment demands as life changes?

My advice is to enjoy your music with simple/compact equipment. 

I'm agreeing with this completely.  I was listening less and less to the "big rig" and spending more time with either the computer speakers or the HT system.  And when I listened to the big rig, I was listening less to the music and more to the system, tweaking this, adjusting that, oh God, it just has to be perfect.  I think I may enjoy music more now.

Lori officially approved the Maggies for the living room.  She did want to know if they could be driven by the Adcom 535II, which is low profile, vs the behemoth B&K.  I said maybe.  She was informed of the subwoofer, I'll prolly us the more elegant looking Yamaha with the twin 7" paper cones mounted over and under style.  It's deep, fast, and lighter weight sounding than the 12" Infinity.  Maybe I'll pull out the Adcom tonight.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #29 on: 6 Nov 2013, 01:04 am »
If space is really a concern, the Mini Maggie system is spectacular in smaller quarters.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #30 on: 7 Nov 2013, 06:34 am »
Thanks Steve, but why is everyone trying to sell me equipment when I'm trying to get rid of stuff.  Believe me, I have more than enough equipment, I just found another whole system I had forgot about.  The idea is to winnow down what I have into two manageable systems.  I have the makings of 6 or 7 complete systems here and want to have two completes with maybe a spare set of speakers for mood changes. 

The guys here have been great with focusing my needs.  The amp set up is pretty firmed up, the Pioneer receiver driving the Adcom 535II amp, I had forgotten how sweet that amp was until I hooked it last night, into the maggies for the living room minimalist HT, along with sundry DAC, Bluray, cable box.  I love the cable management system built into the wall, really neat.

The bedroom is the NAD 3020B amp section only, driven by the AudioGD DAC sans preamp, with the VPI standing by ready to be hooked up easily to the full NAD integrated.  I'll hang on to the PS Audio pre just because, the B&K pre and amp will go.  What to do with speakers.  I have the Snell E towers that are awaiting woofer repair, but would be the best quality and don't take up much more space than the Polk RTi6 with stands, or I could save space big time with the PSB Alpha T towers.  Very small footprint speakers and sweet sounding (think Alpha 1's with balls and no stands).  Snells are factory matched drivers so I have to tweak the crossover as well as install the woofer, I'm a terrible solderer.  And they have to be unboxed, repaired and tested, and reboxed by the end of the month with the move and everything else life has, including a trip to NC for Thanksgiving.  Even with all that I'm leaning toward the Snells.  I could sell everything else and not miss anything, I'd always regret selling them and I have no place to store them unless they're the one's being used.

Maybe I'll get a storage locker....  Thanks again to each and every one of you for listening and puttin up with the angst.  I'll keep you updated on the progress, hope to take some pics for the trading post soon.  Anyone local need a sofa, dining room set, audio rack, old beat up recliner that still works...anyone...  Oh well, time to learn how to post something on craigslist.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #31 on: 7 Nov 2013, 01:29 pm »
Thanks Steve, but why is everyone trying to sell me equipment when I'm trying to get rid of stuff. 

I have a large truck. I can come by this weekend and help relieve you of some of that stuff in your way.   :thumb:  :lol:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #32 on: 7 Nov 2013, 02:03 pm »
Why not take the Snells into a local repair shop and let them do the work while you move? You can pick them up after you have moved in. They are boxed and ready to go! You need to fix them anyway, so let someone else take the pressure off.

Moving is a stressful time. It's ok to outsource some of the work load.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #33 on: 7 Nov 2013, 02:11 pm »
  Just had a pair of Snell EIV woofers refoamed for $100. A better speaker then expected. Not as transparent as our Pipedreams but Man the toes are are a tapping. May the Snell be with you.

charles

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #34 on: 7 Nov 2013, 04:25 pm »
I have a large truck. I can come by this weekend and help relieve you of some of that stuff in your way.   :thumb:  :lol:

Sure Bob, thanks for the help.  The directions to my place are.... "Take a right at the the light then go straight until night and then boys you're on your own".

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #35 on: 7 Nov 2013, 04:30 pm »
Why not take the Snells into a local repair shop and let them do the work while you move? You can pick them up after you have moved in. They are boxed and ready to go! You need to fix them anyway, so let someone else take the pressure off.

Moving is a stressful time. It's ok to outsource some of the work load.

I absolutely would if I had a speaker repair facility around here, suggestions are welcome.  I have a guy for my electronics, except CDPs which he won't touch, but no good speaker guys that I know off.  South jersey area for those who don't know me and may have a suggestion.

Just had a pair of Snell EIV woofers refoamed for $100. A better speaker then expected. Not as transparent as our Pipedreams but Man the toes are are a tapping. May the Snell be with you.

charles

They are E IV's, the Kevin Voecks revoiced and recabineted model.  Much more to my taste than the Peter Snell voiced earlier series I and II, I think Kevin messed with Series III, but didn't do a complete redesign like he did on the Series IV.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #36 on: 7 Nov 2013, 06:22 pm »
Sure Bob, thanks for the help.  The directions to my place are.... "Take a right at the the light then go straight until night and then boys you're on your own".
And then I'll be blinded by the light.  :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #37 on: 8 Nov 2013, 01:20 pm »
And then I'll be blinded by the light.  :thumb:

What an album.  I like Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. even more than the Born to Run album, more raw and intimate. 

"That pure American brother, dull-eyed and empty-faced
races Sundays in Jersey in a Chevy stock super eight
He rides 'er low on the hip, on the side he's got Bound For Glory in red, white and blue flash paint
He leans on the hood telling racing stories, the kids call him Jimmy The Saint
Well the blaze and noise boy, he's gunnin' that bitch loaded to blastin' point
He rides head first into a hurricane and disappears into a point
And there's nothin' left but some blood where the body fell
That is, nothin' left that you could sell
just junk all across the horizon, a real highwayman's farewell
And he said "Hey kid, you think that's oil? Man, that ain't oil that's blood"
I wonder what he was thinking when he hit that storm
Or was he just lost in the flood?"

I won't be selling that album, ever, for any amount of money.

rodge827

« Reply #38 on: 9 Nov 2013, 12:35 am »
Despite all of his commercial success The Boss is a poet at heart and a very good one!  :thumb:

Greetings, Wild, and Darkness are my top three.  8)

Chris

SwinginSteve

« Reply #39 on: 26 Nov 2013, 09:18 pm »
OH. . .  the things we do for love . . .

My Fiance' is moving in with me this month, she going to have to live with something like this:

I shure hope it lasts  :|