Computer audio power conditioning and outlets - next step

highstream

I've got a desktop computer audio system (see below) and have started to work on the power side of things, reading and experimenting.  I had been using an old style under-computer console until a couple of relatively inexpensive used purchases recently got me a Panamax M5300-EX (resold) and a Mapleshade Power Conditioning Strip (MKII +), which I'm currently using.  What's caught my attention with both is not just how much cleaner and more delicate, etc., the sound is, but also on the cool or cold side tonally, a bit edgy and generally uninviting, i.e., lacking warmth (it's the kind of reminiscent of early CDs). In his book on getting better sound, Jim Smith attributes this to compression that many power conditioners and strips introduce.  Reading various online discussion forums, I get the sense that the trade off I've experienced is common.  Is that it, short of spending several thousand dollars on a full blown conditioner?  I had been wondering about the Noisetrapper Revelation and the BPT PPC.  The reading I've done has also given the impression that I'd have a better outcome by changing the wall outlet, perhaps to something like the Porter or Acme (their fuses are pretty good). 

I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts about this, especially those who've gone through it with nondedicated computer audio.  Thanks,

i7-2600K computer
Ciunas dac (via USB adapters)
Teresonic silver unbalanced ICs
Focal CMS 40 speakers on Isoacoustic stands
Shunyata Venom 3 and MAC HC power cords
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2013, 09:02 am by highstream »

Big Red Machine

Re: Computer audio power conditioning and outlets - next step
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2013, 12:26 pm »
My guess is the Panamax is the culprit.  My HT gear is beside my two channel gear and it uses a unit like a Panamax.  While convenient, it does seem to squash the sound somewhat, but for ht right now i dont care.  Have you tried without it to see if life re-enters the music?

An outlet will not solve this in my experience.  Do you 'need' noise reduction or assume you do?

I have most of my peripherals through a balanced pwr unit into a PIA buss that also takes the amps.  I only had a fluke noise issue you can see under my Aural Enlightenment 2 thread. 

I don't think a PPC will be the answer.

Ern Dog

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2013, 03:26 pm »
I found that adding a quality wall outlet was one of the best improvements to my system for the price. I use a porter port ($35) and it improved everything.

It sounds to me like the maple shade is cleaning things up and allowing you to hear what your system really sounds like. It took me lots of experimentation to find the right components that synergized together to make my computer audio rig come to life.  The cool edginess could be coming from jitter and a nice USB converter would reduce/eliminate that. It could also be coming from the dac or your silver IC's.

highstream

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2013, 05:43 pm »
Thanks.  I don't think jitter or the Panamax alone is the problem I'm addressing.  Using the computer console, the Venom 3s PCs introduced a modest warmth that was lacking with the clean and detailed but not quite warm sound of the MAC HC power cords.  With the Panamax and Mapleshade in place of the console, that direction is completely reversed - and more.  Looking back at reviews and user comments about various line conditioners and strips, I notice a lot of fantastic descriptors, similar to what I've heard with my two, but the words "warm" or "natural" are rarely seen among them, at least not below the $5000 mark.  Even the BPT PPC's upgrades include a silver wiring alternative that adds a "warm, organic sound," as if the stock version isn't those.  I'm getting the sense that there is something missing with many of these conditioners/strips. 
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2013, 07:30 pm by highstream »