GAS at Sweetie Pie's

Blackmore

GAS at Sweetie Pie's
« on: 3 Nov 2013, 02:47 am »
Thanks to Jim Pendleton for getting a few of us out for a short vinly crawl and then over for some great food.  They were shooting a segment for the TV show so you may catch us in the background waiting in line.  I'm still stuffed.  We hit Record Exchange at 10:00 am and shopped until 11:15.  A bus load of (even more senior than us) senior citizens arrived to see the store.  I'm not making this up, BISL!!   They were on a "Where were you in 1968" tour.  That was pretty bizarre but they all seemed to be having a great time and would have stayed longer if the bus didn't have to keep on a tight schedule. (Bob, I swear to God this is all true).

Picked some good classical and a Paul Desmond title and Scott grabbed some jazz.  We caravaned to Sweetie Pies and I sure didn't need GPS with Scott's 65 Ford pickup in front and Ryan's RX-8 behind me.  Glorious growl from the rotary behind me and a thunderous rumble in front.  The group had to split early after lunch so Jim could get back to demo an amp for a customer so Ryan, Scott and I went to Euclid to add a few more record ps to the day's haul. I picked up "Surrealistic Pillow" in mono? and a Laurie Anderson record.  Made it home before the food induced coma hit. 

Great to see everyone and I sure wish we could have visited more (or at all since the live music at lunch kinda killed any chance for conversation). See you guys soon and,Jim, I promise to make it over to Hallsville to hear the new electronics and speakers soon. 

Scott F.

Re: GAS at Sweetie Pie's
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2013, 01:35 pm »
Great impromptu gathering! Unfortunately I don't think anybody took pics of the event but several of us have dents in our bank accounts after the day. Sweetie Pies was fun...and filling! I went for the fried chicken, mashed taters, mac n cheese  ;) Pretty tastey   :drool:

daves

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2013, 01:52 pm »
I got the chicken with corn and yams, plus a peach cobbler and a pear cobbler. The servers like me, so I also got two large wacks of cornbread. Brought the leftovers home, where my wife and ten year old made short work of disappearing it. It was one of the better deep fried chicken plates I have had, although I still prefer the skillet fried chicken made in small quantity.

I did wish that they would have set the volume on the chanteuse to about a third of where she was running it, so conversation would have been possible. It just didn't work all that well, blasting through the entire house like that. With the film crew there in everyone's business, the atmosphere was a lot more uptight and stage managed than in past visits, without anyone filming.

It was good to see all who made it, even if only at Sweetie's. My saving grace was find the original Nuggets compilation on cd at Euclid the day previous, which assuaged my regret at missing the gang on the record crawl.

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2013, 01:57 pm »
Scott forgot about his desert; chocolate chocolate cake.  His plate was a tribute to carbohydrates, but mine was only slightly better.  Smothered pork steak, mac n cheese, green beans and cornbread.   :thumb:  Oh yeah, I may have had some sort of cake for desert.  I was a little foggy by then.

Here's my haul from yesterday now that my food coma has subsided.

> Katia and Marielle Labeque playing Stravinsky "Petrouchka" for two pianos.  My,but their little fingers can sure fly fast.
> Handel "Royal Fireworks" with original scoring= 24 oboes and 12 bassoons.  :o :D
> Dvorak Cello Concerto Lynn Harrell and James Levine
> Andre Previn plays the songs of Vernon Duke. Didn't know Vernon Duke, but nice.
> Paul Desmond Summertime  Love that tone!
> JatP 1983 with Eddie Lockjaw Davis and Harry Sweets Edison
> Moody Blues Days of Future Passed   It was only $1.00 so I had to have it
> Home of the Brave by Laurie Anderson
> Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane in Mono!!!!! That was unexpected.

No pictures were taken unless you count the TV crew in Sweetie Pie's.  You'll just have to take our word for it.  Everything we say is true.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2013, 03:00 pm »
Sounds like fun!  :thumb:
Never heard of Sweetie Pies though, I'll have to check it out.

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2013, 03:16 pm »
http://sweetiepieskitchen.com/

I have heard of this place. I watched an episode of "Diner's, Drive-in's, and Dives".

Her story is neat. The gal was a back up singer for Ike Turner, Joe Cocker, Dr. John, The Stones, Stevie Wonder, and Barbara Streisand ......

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2013, 06:19 pm »
 oou, I forgot to list my haul too. Like Mark, I was pretty much in that same food coma yesterday. My problem is I go from coma to coma  :duh: Oh well, it helps maintain my girlish figure  :thumb:

John McLaughlin - Electric Dreams (WLP)
 Gerry Mulligan with Chet Baker and Buddy DeFranco
 Dianna Reeves - for every heart, Welcome to my Love, self titled, never too far
 Shirley Horn - Close Enough for Love
 Vince Gill - When I Call Your Name, Pocket Full of Gold
 Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
 Tedeshi Trucks Band - Revelator

I was good seeing everybody, even for a short time. Lets see, counting heads it was Blackmore, Jim, a friend of his, Kent, Pete, Ryan, Dave and one more guy I've seen a few times at events but we've not been officially introduced. Good crowd. We need to do this more often

I know Ryan picked up a few but he's still struggling with his table, phono stage actually. Mark, you and I need to make it over to his house and bring a couple decent phono stages and step ups so he can hear what vinyl is all about in his system  :thumb:

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2013, 09:09 pm »
oou, I forgot to list my haul too. Like Mark, I was pretty much in that same food coma yesterday. My problem is I go from coma to coma  :duh: Oh well, it helps maintain my girlish figure  :thumb:

John McLaughlin - Electric Dreams (WLP)
 Gerry Mulligan with Chet Baker and Buddy DeFranco
 Dianna Reeves - for every heart, Welcome to my Love, self titled, never too far
 Shirley Horn - Close Enough for Love
 Vince Gill - When I Call Your Name, Pocket Full of Gold
 Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
 Tedeshi Trucks Band - Revelator

I was good seeing everybody, even for a short time. Lets see, counting heads it was Blackmore, Jim, a friend of his, Kent, Pete, Ryan, Dave and one more guy I've seen a few times at events but we've not been officially introduced. Good crowd. We need to do this more often

I know Ryan picked up a few but he's still struggling with his table, phono stage actually. Mark, you and I need to make it over to his house and bring a couple decent phono stages and step ups so he can hear what vinyl is all about in his system  :thumb:

I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts on the John McLaughlin album.  It was one that I almost wore the groove out back in college.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2013, 09:35 pm »
I'm glad I came, it was a nice Saturday!  I think just this morning that I'm finally not full anymore.  Gotta say I thought the food was only good, not great.  Fried chicken was really crunchy, but lacked really could have used some zing.  The Black eyed peas were kinda mushy, and the gravy on the mashed potatoes was clearly not from scratch ... I'm a connoisseur of gravy.  But the pear cobbler was excellent, and worth the trip by itself. 

I should have though that eventually enough Scott and Mark exposure and I'd buy some vinyl, even though my only chance of getting quality vinyl reproduction is laying out some stacks of Benjies ... which I really don't want to do.  But hey, Heather does buy a Powerball ticket every week  :D

My take for the day:
A couple Dexter Morgan I found for $4/each on Prestige, mint condition
Muddy Waters - Hard Again, Scott's suggestion and how could I say no
Avenged Sevenfold - Hail to the King, that's right!
Jack Johnson - From Here Now to You and On and On
Charles Mingus on Prestige - Mingus
Moby - Innocents

Now I just need something decent to spin 'em  :lol: