solid state amp for Super Alnico 6 monitor

sugbob21

solid state amp for Super Alnico 6 monitor
« on: 31 Oct 2013, 02:58 pm »
Would a  XPA-100 amplifier by Emotiva at 250 watts into 8 ohms be overkilll mated to a Decare CSP-3 preamp ?  Its only $299.00 thats why i am asking .  I know nothing about the amp....just a good price right now for me .

srb

Re: solid state amp for Super Alnico 6 monitor
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2013, 04:28 pm »
You likely don't need that kind of power with a 93dB loudspeaker.  Is $600 your budget for a stereo power amplifier, as the XPA-100 is a mono amplifier?

Steve

sugbob21

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2013, 04:47 pm »
no more than that at the moment.  i am currently using a Millenia with the decware tube preamp  but notice a slight imbalance between volume of the left and right speaker .  i correcet it with the preamps sepaarate right and left gain controls but it appears to originate with the amp when i use it direct.   so i was just looking at an inexpensive way of fixing the problem.

sugbob21

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2013, 04:48 pm »
just wanted to add that in general ...the Millenia sounds pretty good with the Decware and the Omegas.   Jst always looking for economic ways to improve.

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2013, 05:07 pm »
Hi sugbob21,

That's a lot of power and nice price. Don't really need all that power, but it may sound good. I came across this and great price for a gainclone which I like.

http://www.dalaudio.com/Studio-Par-3875-Chip-Amplifier-p/dalp3875-r1.htm

Thanks,
Louis

sugbob21

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2013, 05:24 pm »
Thanks Louis !  Always good to hear from you.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2013, 05:14 am »
sugbob21,
If you can bump your budget up to a Decware SE84 Super Zen at $895 or find a used SE84 it would likely be the ideal match for your CSP-3, not to mention your Super 6's.  Your CSP-3 may give the Super Zen greater dynamics than running a Super Zen alone.  If you are not into high volume listening I think you would have a sublime sounding system.  About four years ago I had a higher end 50w/ch gainclone on a pair of hempcone Super 5 Monitors and Deep Hemp sub.  It sounded incredible.  I then dropped a Decware SE84C+ into the system.  The Decware was better across the board except for volume.  The gainclone never went back into that system.  On another system I had a Decware SE84 Select on a pair of Hoyt-Bedford Type 1's.  I don't remember ever hearing Hoyt-Bedford speakers sound so good.  Yes, Omega speakers work well with many amp types, but of all the amp types I have heard on Omega's, I find tubes are the best.

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2013, 05:36 am »
sugbob21,
If you can bump your budget up to a Decware SE84 Super Zen at $895 or find a used SE84 it would likely be the ideal match for your CSP-3, not to mention your Super 6's.  Your CSP-3 may give the Super Zen greater dynamics than running a Super Zen alone.  If you are not into high volume listening I think you would have a sublime sounding system.  About four years ago I had a higher end 50w/ch gainclone on a pair of hempcone Super 5 Monitors and Deep Hemp sub.  It sounded incredible.  I then dropped a Decware SE84C+ into the system.  The Decware was better across the board except for volume.  The gainclone never went back into that system.  On another system I had a Decware SE84 Select on a pair of Hoyt-Bedford Type 1's.  I don't remember ever hearing Hoyt-Bedford speakers sound so good.  Yes, Omega speakers work well with many amp types, but of all the amp types I have heard on Omega's, I find tubes are the best.
Hi all CanadaRob and all Audio Circle members.
For the past 5 years or so, I have beeing using my Decware SE84C+ with different types of speakers.
The GR Research V1, V2, N3 and a pair of Audio Nirvana 8" extended range driver in a OB enclosure.
I like the AN 8" with the Decware SET - 2wpc.
It's plenty enough loud for me.
However, I just bought from Louis a pair of Omega 7F (Too bad, I could not afford the 7A - Alnico)
I will get the drivers in a month or two via relatives coming to Vietnam.
I am very anxious.
For me, SET is the way to go with FR drivers.

Guy 13

sugbob21

« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2013, 12:02 pm »
thanks everyone.   You are certainly making a case for a Decware amp. i'm gonna have to start saving and selling !

nature boy

« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2013, 06:41 pm »
sugbob21,

+1. I am using an earlier version of the Decware amp and Minimax preamp with Omega 8' hemps.  The Omega's sound great with a SET amp, marriage made in heaven IMHO. 

NB

doggie

« Reply #10 on: 25 Nov 2013, 05:01 pm »
I have been using a ClassD Audio class D solid state amp with my Super 6 Anico's for several months. It has about 100w at 8 ohms. More than enough power and can be found used for less than $400. It has remarkable detail, is very quiet, and has gripping bass. Tonally it is very good, mostly neutral, and warmer than earlier class D amps but not quite as warm or romantic as a tube amp.

I also have used a Leben 300XS with great results. Much warmer/romantic than the ClassD with great dynamics and pace. Not as much detail but a lot more soul. A real foot tapping, involving amp.

I also have a 50watt chip amp that I will try with it and post when I get a chance...

seikosha

« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2013, 05:21 pm »
I've run 5 different amps with my Super 3XRS's:

Musical Fidelity M3i
Nad
NuForce DDA-100
Decware Mini Torii
Decware SE84CKC

No question for me the tubes work best and the SE84 Decware is easily my favorite.  If you do use Solid State, I'd look for as warm sounding an amp as you can find.  While my class D Nuforce sounds great with a pair of Harbeths, it's just way too sterile and crisp sounding on the single driver Omegas.

happyrabbit

« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2013, 12:56 am »
DalAudio.   This one was a few upgrades...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120819.0

Dwight

Capt. Yossarian

« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2013, 07:36 am »
Canada Rob asked if you could up your budget a bit -- and I'll add one more possibility if you can: Dared 2A3C integrated amp. I just bought one 2 weeks ago on eBay for less than $900 (including shipping). It's beautifully designed and built. I became acquainted with it in a dagogo.com review of Omega's Super 3T speakers in October.

I just purchased one to go with my Omega Super 3S speakers -- arrived 11.20.2013 -- and the combination is beautiful. It's 8 wpc into 8 ohms -- perfect with the Omegas -- and the sound is luscious, even though neither the speakers nor the amp is broken in yet.