4k monitor as home 'Gallery'?

dwk

4k monitor as home 'Gallery'?
« on: 30 Oct 2013, 03:00 pm »

A couple things have me musing on ideas around displaying photos.  I'm considering picking up a Sigma DP2M since it's strengths as a landscape-style camera seem to really hit the type of photos that I like to take (given that hikes and vacation seem to be the main times I actually get to take pictures). The 'problem' is that the very high pixel-level IQ really only shines with large prints. For 8x10 or 1080p monitor display I"m not sure it'll offer too much over my current setup (Oly E-M5). Even though we're moving to a larger space, having a 'home gallery' doesn't seem particularly viable, and having 1 or 2 spots to hang a print makes the payoff a bit slim. (To say nothing of the expense and general time-sucking nature of printing, although it's always been a side of photo that I've been drawn to).

So, with the appearance of the cheap Seikei (sp?) 4k monitors (39" for ~700, 50" for ~1500 I think), I'm wondering whether they may provide an alternative display channel of high enough quality that the character of higher quality images is reflected.  Has anyone done anything like this and/or investigated it? Seems more attractive on the surface than printing a bunch of images that end up sitting in a drawer.

I haven't looked into the actual quality of these monitors - whether they calibrate out well (or at all), and they currently only support 30Hz over HDMI although for static display that shouldn't be a big problem. Choosing landscape/portrait is a bit of a problem.  I'm also not entirely sure what is needed to drive the display - whether something like a RaspberryPi could do it or whether you'd need a 'real' pc.   Still, I'd be interested in thoughts on this and/or around how folks handle displaying their stuff.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: 4k monitor as home 'Gallery'?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2013, 04:27 pm »
I would get a larger 4k if you are going to get one, 50-60" Then your pictures will get a good showing on the wall. There will be lots of options with different levels of value in the next couple of years. Eventually we will have 24K+ on the wall.

Your camera produces something like 4616 x 3464. A 4K monitor is 3840 x 2160. (4K cinema movies will be shot in 8K. THe classic black and white 35mm movies will finally get the right treatment.)  So your video card will have to process the pixels to display them in 3840 x 2160. A 4K picture would be better in every way assuming it is good quality. Some of these 4K screens may be good for TV or good for a PC monitor but not both? Buyer beware!

You will want to connect to the monitor using Displayport or Thunderbolt technology to get good bandwidth. That means a video card (or a laptop with a video chip) that has that type of connector. A nice desktop PC that can do that and also function as an HTPC can be built (possibly purchased) for less than $500 and less every day that passes.

This example card has DP and HDMI and has HDCP for Blu-ray.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131519

If you don't want to build and money is no object just get an Apple laptop.

To push huge files around will take some processing power, but a normal PC can handle it. Bandwidth to the monitor is the key.