Carbs versus fuel injection

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Carbs versus fuel injection
« on: 30 Oct 2013, 12:56 pm »
A buddy of mine has a new Moto Guzzi which is fuel injected, of course, and he's recently decided that he prefers the feel of his old carbureted Guzzi. 
I have two fuel injected motorcycles and two carbureted motorcycles at the moment and nearly always take the carbureted bikes out for a joy ride when I just want to go out and have some fun.
The injected motorcycles run perfectly, there's no problems there.  No pops, hesitation, smooth throttle pull, they just run perfectly.
Put the key in, let the computer go through the self diagnostics, hit the button and you're ready to go.
For the carb bikes it's gas on, choke out, key on and hit the button.  No more tickle the Amals and kick start nowadays.
The carbureted bikes will do the occasional pop on deceleration and the throttle pull is a bit stiffer.
Bringing this around to audio, I wonder if there isn't a parallel between the carb/fuel injection and analog/digital.
The digital has no pops, ticks, tape hiss, etc. yet I'll always take the analog if it's for enjoyment.

I guess that old Buell ad nailed it: For Those Who Relish A Rude Ride!

mcgsxr

Re: Carbs versus fuel injection
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2013, 12:59 pm »
An interesting comparison.

My brother has a 1989 BMW K100RS that is fuel injected.  It has the inline 4 motor.  Sport touring with ABS.

I had a ton of GSXR's back in my youth, and a few RZ/RD Yamaha's.

The 2 strokers captured my heart, and those are the bikes I long for on days when I wish I still rode.

As for audio, I am purely digital, have not ever owned a turntable.  There is still hope I suppose!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2013, 01:10 pm »
Those RDs were screamers which weighed about as much as a bicycle.
I took one on a test ride and it was so much fun.
Maybe you should get one and a turntable for Christmas.
P.S.
The flying bricks aren't exactly the rude ride, are they?

Maritan

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2013, 03:24 pm »
The early model SV650 I have has carburetors. I got good enough with it where I could have the carbs off and back on in about 20 minutes or so. When I used to race that was very handy. Slightly cooler day? Alright, add a shim on the needle to allow more fuel. Or the opposite for a warm day. Very tweakable and very "easy" (after all that practice). I also loved the throttle off to on response - so smooth and hiccup free.

And to get the ultimate, I was looking for flatslides with pod filters but could never find one that wasn't more than what I wanted to spend.

The newer bike I have is FI, and it needs help when the throttle transitions from off to on. But that was always a known issue with these bikes.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2013, 02:48 am »
Carburetors cant run good at iddle main in the winter, also it consume more fuel.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2013, 10:30 am »
Wish I had a new Guzzi.

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2013, 11:19 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members and bikers.
I know, I am not in the same league as you guys,
but I had for 16 years a Honda 100cc with a carburetor and it often, would stall when accelerating, however, I did more than a quarter million miles (That sounds like a lot, hummm…) and never had big problem, only maintenance, those Honda won’t die.
I am sure I could have done a million miles with it.
Now I have a Honda SCR 110cc (Gift from my niece (That went to the USA) and it’s a fuel injection and it never stall, it’s very smooth at idle and also when it accelerate.
It’s not more economical on gas because of the automatic
transmission or I should call it variable ratio transmission.
Only have 20,000 Kilometers on it.
I my youth I had a Honda 50cc minitrail, a Yamaha 62cc trail, a Yamaha 125cc street and a Honda CB360 all with carburetors and no problem.
Now in Vietnam, 2 strokes engines are not imported anymore and the F.I. bikes are only for the 4,000 USD + bikes.

Guy 13

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2013, 01:33 pm »
The big K bike is a nice sport tourer, but this particular BMW is from the era when they self imposed a 100hp limit.  So, it is not that sporty, and is only 1/2 a touring bike. 

It excels at 3-4 hour rides, and has hard bags too.  You really feel the heritage in the way it settles down at 70-80 mph.  At low speed it is a little top heavy (I am only 5'8, he is 6'2) but once underway it is very stable.

As a fuelie, it is dead simple to start in any weather.

It is worlds apart from my old lightweight, snarly, spitty RZ's. 

GT Audio Works

« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2013, 04:14 pm »
Those RDs were screamers which weighed about as much as a bicycle.
I took one on a test ride and it was so much fun.
Maybe you should get one and a turntable for Christmas.
P.S.
The flying bricks aren't exactly the rude ride, are they?
I had an RZ...Yellow & Black...The bumble bee my friends called it...Kenny Roberts edition.
Breathed on motor, pipes reeds carbs etc. an extreme ride
I cant think of a more fun per dollar bike I owned than that one.
Light switch power band...coming out of a corner you had better not be leaned too far over when you hit 6k on the tach or you found yourself on one wheel.
I think the parallel to audio is more about our age and the excitement of youth.
I doubt I would enjoy that bike as much today or the crappy direct drive turntable I used to blast Rush 2112 with.
Or my home brewed speakers powered by that big watt Japanese receiver with the big smooth operating tuning dial.
I will take fuel injection over the carbs today, but when I was 18 the Holly 4bbl on my 240Z with the 2.8L  block and manual choke was a lot more fun.
                                                 Greg