Studio speakers chat.

Danny Richie

Re: Studio speakers chat.
« Reply #20 on: 29 Oct 2013, 02:48 am »

Here is a pic of the SCM 19 crossover:

WOW!

Some inexpensive poly caps (not bad though), sand caste resistors (16 cents each and the worst of all), clear PVC jacketed wire possible one Copper and one Aluminum, and slip on connectors....  If the inductors are Bennic as well then they could even be made from recycled Copper (typically they are 94 to 96% pure Copper).

Yep. Lots of improvements ahead.

The Classic X-LS kit that I sell for $109 edges these out in crossover parts quality.  :green:  Yep, $109 for everything pictured.

And that kit comes with high purity OFC (99.98% pure) wire in polyethylene.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 29 Oct 2013, 02:49 am »
Are they Yamaha's?

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 29 Oct 2013, 02:58 am »
The Classic X-LS kit that I sell for $109 edges these out in crossover parts quality.
And I'm just now hearing about this?  :o

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 29 Oct 2013, 03:06 am »
And I'm just now hearing about this?  :o

Best deal on kits ever man: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90911.0

As finished speakers they were reviewed by Audioholics, Affordable Audio, Home Theater and High Fidelity, GoodSound, Tone Audio, Consumer Guide, Prillaman.net, and several others. They received two Product of the Year awards, a Best Buy award, and a Budget Speaker of the Year award.  :thumb:  :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 29 Oct 2013, 03:11 am »
I will say this again.  Those are the Dynaco A25's of the 21st Century. 

I have given these to my family and friends have bought them, when the finished speakers were available, and were amazed at the sound quality improvement over what they had.  Even musicians were turned on to great sound reproduction.   :thumb: 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #25 on: 29 Oct 2013, 03:23 am »
I will say this again.  Those are the Dynaco A25's of the 21st Century. 

I have given these to my family and friends have bought them, when the finished speakers were available, and were amazed at the sound quality improvement over what they had.  Even musicians were turned on to great sound reproduction.   :thumb:
This

Gave a set to the Nephew heading off to College. When I actually heard them  :o

Use the Center channel for my "everyday" TV setup all the time  :thumb:

I know of nothing that touches them (or even close) for the price.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 29 Oct 2013, 03:25 am »
Best deal on kits ever man: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90911.0
And $109 included the cabinets, or just the (non-wood) drivers and XO components?

Bob

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 29 Oct 2013, 03:34 am »
And $109 included the cabinets, or just the (non-wood) drivers and XO components?

Bob

No cabinets. Just what is pictured.

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 29 Oct 2013, 03:39 am »
Bob, and it gets even better.

Check this out: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90911.msg988342#msg988342

The Encore version uses one of the best dome tweeters out there. They should be about $100 a piece. I sell them for $49.90 each. See them here: http://gr-research.com/gr-t3tweeter-1.aspx

The Encore kit even has Gen. 2 Sonicaps in the tweeter circuit. And the whole kit is only $149. for a pair of them just as pictured below.

Check out some more info on a few of those X-Series kits: http://gr-research.com/x-serieskits.aspx

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 29 Oct 2013, 03:41 am »
I think those Yamaha NS-10M Studio monitors are pretty popular. I see them everywhere. I might have to design an upgrade for them.

jcotner

« Reply #30 on: 29 Oct 2013, 05:55 am »
Well of what I heard, I liked the Meyers HD-1 and PMC-Bryston combos the best
but I didn't want to spend that kind of money.
So the fallback position for me is a set of speakers that Danny sold me driven
by an Aragon amp. I was never a fan of ribbon tweeters but Danny's design
really does them justice. After dropping $2200 on a studio DAC and lots of
adjustments I have something that is really good for what I do.
At some point I'll add a better amp but for now this is fine.
I'd love to take Danny's speaker up and compare it to the HD-1 but I consider
myself lucky to be allowed to audition my material in this particular studio.
In a purpose designed studio, the material produced really has a lot to do
with the monitor choice. I'm more nearfield and don't need high SPLs.
I think that really allowed me to get by for a lot less money.
BTW somebody warned me about the Yamaha monitors a long time ago.

bdp24

« Reply #31 on: 29 Oct 2013, 08:09 am »
I have no idea where JLM is coming from, or what his motive is. Sounds like the kind of guy who uses the term "Audiofools". My mama tried to learn me that you cain't reason with an unreasonable feller, but from what I've seen in the L.A. studio's that I've been in (including the old RCA room where the Stones recorded "Satisfaction", Elvis did his movie soundtracks, and Sinatra is pictured in on his old 50's and 60's album covers), High-End/Perfectionist Audio is light years ahead of Pro Sound. Those damned Yamaha NS10's are everywhere, as are Auratone's (car radio speakers in a box), decades old JBL's and Lansing's, lots of no-name compression drivers with horns, producing the most horrific vowel-colorations I've ever heard, partnered with boomy old 15" woofers built into empty cavities in very resonant walls-----anything that will play REAL loud, day in and day out, without blowing up. And Pro amps? Oy! Can you say Opamp? Once again, as long as they don't break, studio's will use them. Mass audience artists are geared towards the lowest common denominator, in both content and sound quality. Compression to make the song louder as people zip up and down the radio dial, boosted highs to make the song sound crisp on radio speakers, harmonic distortion added to make voices sound fuller, electronic echo and reverb to make the bone-dry studio sound like a cathedral, etc. Accurate sound is NOT what most engineers are trying to achieve. There are, however, some big names who have seen the light, and are bringing Audiophile speakers into their studios. Rick Rubin buys his Wilson's from Brooks Berdan (a High End Dealer selling expensive speakers, tube amps, and---GASP---designer interconnects and speaker cables), as do some other Grammy winner's. Even Henry Rollins is hipper to good sound than a lot of studio guys. He has heard all the pro gear in the studio's he's recorded in for 30 years, can afford anything he desires, and he also has the big Wilson's. And tube amps. I'm a planar-lover, which are not, of course, intended for monitoring recordings through. But that hasn't stopped some of the best British engineers (Tony Faulkner, for one) from using Quad Electrostatics for monitoring and mixing recordings. And whatta ya know.....their recordings sound better than others. A LOT better. So does the work of hardcore Audiophile Steve Hoffman, re-issue engineer (for many labels---MCA, RCA, Curb, Audio Fidelity) of a lot of amazingly high-quality CD's and (!)LP's. Done through High-End, not Pro, amps (including tubes) and speakers. So there.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 29 Oct 2013, 12:46 pm »
No cabinets. Just what is pictured.
Uhh yea... How did I miss the great big bold text explaining that.  :oops: :duh:

I didn't know you had small speaker kits. I thought it was only the big OB designs.
Thanks for the heads-up, I think I'll have to get one of those. Do you think that little Lepai tripath TA2020 amp everybody is talking about would drive them ok? I would be using the rig as a nearfield/desktop/PC setup.

Thanks man,
Bob

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 29 Oct 2013, 02:39 pm »
Uhh yea... How did I miss the great big bold text explaining that.  :oops: :duh:

I didn't know you had small speaker kits. I thought it was only the big OB designs.
Thanks for the heads-up, I think I'll have to get one of those. Do you think that little Lepai tripath TA2020 amp everybody is talking about would drive them ok? I would be using the rig as a nearfield/desktop/PC setup.

Thanks man,
Bob

Hey Bob, I bought some of those little amps for my kids to use with their desk top systems. And they worked out real well with some small speakers I built for them. They are very similar to the little Sonic T-Amp. And hard to beat for the money. They hardly cost anything.

Freo-1

« Reply #34 on: 29 Oct 2013, 08:59 pm »
While I do think the crossover on the SCM-19 could be improved, I think it's a little better than it's being given credit for.  The 6" driver is likely the best 6" driver made, period.  The tweeter is pretty darn good as well. 
From the tech radar review on the SCM 19: 

" The company's finest drivers are dubbed Super Linear (SL) and the SCM19 is the least expensive speaker that incorporates an SL unit, in this case a 150mm design with a large 75mm soft dome. This large diameter also represents the size of the voice coil, which gives you some idea why the speaker is so heavy.
The main change to this speaker's predecessor is in the new high-frequency unit, which has a neodymium magnet and a faceplate that ATC machines in-house. This carefully curved aluminium plate has been designed to give greater and smoother high frequency dispersion.
The tweeter itself is a 25mm soft dome with a second-order Butterworth crossover, incorporating metallised polypropylene capacitors, large air-cored inductors and ceramic wire-wound resistors. These are all high-quality ingredients that give the speaker superior power handling and inspire the sort of confidence that ATC underpins with its six year guarantee."

I've listened to a lot of speakers of all types, and these get very near the best out there. Still, I'm curious what you would recommend as upgraded parts? 
http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/atc-scm19-hi-fi-98230/review

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 29 Oct 2013, 09:20 pm »
While I do think the crossover on the SCM-19 could be improved, I think it's a little better than it's being given credit for.  The 6" driver is likely the best 6" driver made, period.  The tweeter is pretty darn good as well. 
From the tech radar review on the SCM 19: 

" The company's finest drivers are dubbed Super Linear (SL) and the SCM19 is the least expensive speaker that incorporates an SL unit, in this case a 150mm design with a large 75mm soft dome. This large diameter also represents the size of the voice coil, which gives you some idea why the speaker is so heavy.
The main change to this speaker's predecessor is in the new high-frequency unit, which has a neodymium magnet and a faceplate that ATC machines in-house. This carefully curved aluminium plate has been designed to give greater and smoother high frequency dispersion.
The tweeter itself is a 25mm soft dome with a second-order Butterworth crossover, incorporating metallised polypropylene capacitors, large air-cored inductors and ceramic wire-wound resistors. These are all high-quality ingredients that give the speaker superior power handling and inspire the sort of confidence that ATC underpins with its six year guarantee."

I've listened to a lot of speakers of all types, and these get very near the best out there. Still, I'm curious what you would recommend as upgraded parts? 
http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/atc-scm19-hi-fi-98230/review

Just about anything is an upgrade over what's in there. It doesn't matter how good the drivers are if the crossovers parts are like those pictured then you might as well be listening to the speakers on a budget receiver. There is a lot holding them back. Everything pictured is very inexpensive parts that are of poor to entry level quality.

If you are interested in upgrading them then I can certainly help you out.

I can send you parts and you can build out new crossovers yourself. I can build them out for you. Or you can send me the speakers and I can turn key the whole thing.

Freo-1

« Reply #36 on: 29 Oct 2013, 09:25 pm »
OK.  I'll send you a PM, and post results (of the speaker performance, that is).   :lol:

persisting1

« Reply #37 on: 29 Oct 2013, 10:34 pm »
Or you can send me the speakers and I can turn key the whole thing.

This might be fun.

Freo-1

« Reply #38 on: 30 Oct 2013, 01:17 am »
This might be fun.

It might indeed.  The drivers are among the best in audio, so if the crossover can be improved, I'm all for it. 

Will post updates as they occur. (Danny, you talked me into it  :lol: )

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 30 Oct 2013, 04:02 am »
Ha, I just turned a rough measuring Yamaha NS-10M into a very accurate measuring speaker.  :green:

Check out the stock measurements.

And the results with my newly redesigned crossover. +/-1db from 10kHz and down.  :thumb:

A smoother impedance too.  :thumb: