OK So what did I miss?

Scott F.

OK So what did I miss?
« on: 2 Aug 2004, 02:04 am »
So, spill the beans. How was the get-together at Steves Saturday?
Have you guys got pics to post .... I hope :D

Mike D

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2004, 03:44 am »
We settled on a goal to turn pjchappy (Paul) onto vinyl but he had to leave before we could change him over to the dark side.    

One day, Paul....

He brought over and outstanding DAC and Willie brought another beautiful looking and sounding creation.  It was a preamp this time with a WIDE open soundstage from the mid voices on up to the heavans.  I'll let Steve, Sturgus, Vasu, Willie, and or Paul fill in the rest of the fun reports.

It was a great time and we missed you.    :bawl:

Steve, you     have    ower                     gwattitute.

vpolineni

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2004, 04:54 am »
First off, I have to say thanks to steve for being such a gracious host.. the burgers were excellent.  Paul's scott nixon dac was great-it reminded me a lot of the ack dack (for obvious reasons).  For me, the show belonged to Willie. His preamp was great.  Once we got the hum down, I was amazed at how wide the soundstage was.  The meeting was great.  I'd host next month's meeting, but I doubt anyone wants to drive to columbia  :lol: .

steve k

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2004, 06:54 am »
Willie's latest creation was quite the topic of conversation--a tube preamp with 12AX7 phono stage--what else could one ask for? No LED pilot lights for Willie, strictly cockpit quality indicators. We're still hoping for a peek at his "laboratory".  I could swear, he's cloning things there!:lol: It was nice meeting Paul finally. His little tube DAC really cleaned up the sound of my Sony. Put another thing on the upgrade list! Thanks for coming, Paul. The burgers, brats and beer flowed heavily. Everyone had a great time. We even discussed using the Ludovico method on Paul for his vinyl conversion, but we really didn't want to listen to Beethoven's 9th over and over!  :o :roll:

Pics are up now.
steve k.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=356

DeadFish

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2004, 02:22 pm »
Thanks for the great pix, Steve!
I was really sorry to have missed saturday, but y'all know in 'married life' things don't always go the way one (the guy) plans.
 :lol:
REAL sorry to have missed Willie's newest work-de-arte, and I guess I am gonna have to hold my breath to compare Paul's DAC to my ol' trusty Theta.  (sigh..)  Not that there has ever been anything wrong with the Theta, but y'all know that living in a world of one, you forget how things compare to the latest flavors.
Ah, the wife would have me saving for the latest flavor of HOUSE stuff anyway...there ain't no sense wanting something...('sniff!')

Glad you fellas had fun, and hoped you saved some for NEXT time!

:mrgreen:

Regards,
DF

Bostekrisco

Sorry I had to miss it
« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2004, 02:33 pm »
I was  looking forward to seeing everyone again and hearing your rig, Steve. I ended up putting a Pergo floor in one of my parents bathrooms. Like every other time I do a job like that, it took twice as long as I thought it would. Mom's happy though, which is always a good thing.
Hopefully next time...

Bob

drummerwill

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2004, 01:44 am »
Thanks Steve and Family !
    For your hospitality and great BB's ( Brats and Beer) !
     The type 26 preamp with the 12AX7 phono stage is something I've
    been playing with for 3 years now. It was great for me to bring that
    rig out of the basement for a while, Thanks guys for your interest.
        Have fun
        Willie

Scott F.

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2004, 02:01 am »
I wish I could have made it. Sounds like it was great fun.

Really wish I could have heard Willies 26 based pre. If I had, something tells me that it would be on the short list of projects that I never get started (or completed).

Don't worry PJ, if you hang around with us long enough you'll soon be dreaming of NOS tubes and be stopping at Goodwill, thrift shops, garage sales and flea markets to sift through boxes of old vinyl. Eventually you will turn to the dark side.
Resistance is futile.

Hey Bob (and anybody else), it's just about time for another Classics get together. Just got the Radiis up and running again after some mods. The big system is sounding pretty darned dynamic again. For those that didn't make it for the first one, it was a blast. Tons of Classic rock played way too loud, loads of beers and pizza pies. Great stuff for you hardcore headbangers our there.
(Oh, and all of it on vinyl BTW)

Bostekrisco

Classic and (never get around to) Poker Night: Part Deux
« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2004, 03:30 pm »
Hi Scott:

I'm ready!  Give me a call or a pm and let me know when it works for you. I found a really nice UK copy of the Classics and Poker Night Anthem (Montrose, for the uninitiated) at a garage sale. Maybe we could do a DSOTM type shootout :lol:

Hey PJ,

If you're really thinking about getting into vinyl, I heard a Guitar Center commercial in the last couple of days saying they're selling Technics 1200s for half price. If it's a legit 1/2 price, and not a mark up-mark down deal, That mght be a good way to test the waters. I set up a 30 year old 1200 with an AT440ML for a buddy and it sounds really nice.

Bob

pjchappy

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2004, 07:42 pm »
We all had a great time. . .

Thanks for the hospitality, Steve!

It was interesting to see Will's Franken-Pre.

As for vinyl, although it was a bit of a noisy copy of DSOTM, I have an understanding of the vinyl freaks love for the media.  HOWEVER, I feel CDs (especially through my SN Tube Dac+  :mrgreen: ) sound GLORIOUS.  More clarity, more range, etc. . .

Anyways, I had fun and hope to see you all again. . .and see some new faces.  Hopefully in the next few months I can host a gathering down in Soulard.

p

Mike D

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2004, 08:21 pm »
OH!!!  It's ON now!  

Vinylization party officially requested.  

Here's the format:

Me all bring in Records that we also have on CD and to head to head comparisons.  If we have a particular CD that we would like to here on vinyl, request it on this forum.  If we have a particular record that we would like to hear on CD, post it here.

I'll bring Blue Mitchel's "Down With It" on both Vinyl and CD.

:duel:

pjchappy

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2004, 08:24 pm »
OK,

Pink Floyd--The Division Bell
Radiohead--The Bends

Since I have no vinyl, if anyone has the above on vinyl, that would be great.  

And, not just CD--SN Tube Dac+ glorious CD playback.

Yep, IT's ON!!!   8)

p

steve k

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2004, 12:27 am »
Dudes,
I have a clear winner--Kind of Blue on Vinyl. I have the CD and SACD too. No comparison to the black pancake.  :rock:  
steve

Scott F.

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2004, 02:18 am »
Quote from: pjchappy
As for vinyl, although it was a bit of a noisy copy of DSOTM, I have an understanding of the vinyl freaks love for the media.  HOWEVER, I feel CDs (especially through my SN Tube Dac+  :mrgreen: ) sound GLORIOUS.  More clarity, more range, etc. . .

Ouuu.....A Challenge  :guns:  :flak:

I'll take that challenge too. I just came up from the toy store after doing an A/B of my MoFi of DSOTM and the CD played on the Njoe Tjeob (upsampled and tubed).

Hey Paul, set aside some time and come out (honestly). Let me show you what 2.5 watts can do. I'll even throw in an A/B/C using a tubed DAC that costs as much as a fine used car. We can even try your SN DAC too.

Oh, I don't have the Division Bell on Vinyl but I do have Momentary Lapse of Reason. Not sure Division Bell is availible on vinyl. If it is, I'll find a copy though, I'd love to have it.

I've got tons of newer stuff on vinyl. If you are into NIN, Metallica, Rob Zombie, Nirvana, David Bowie, Depeche Mode, Yingway Malmenstein (or however you spell his name), or tons of other head bangin stuff, I can bring it to the next meet.

Since you are a Rocker, you need to join in on the next Classics get together. Bob and I are starting to talk about dates. You'd enjoy it emmensely.

Steve, you're right. KOB from Classic records is to die for.

If you guys want, I'd be happy to host the Vinylization Party unless somebody else wants to.

pjchappy

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #14 on: 4 Aug 2004, 02:32 am »
Division Bell IS available on vinyl. . .blue vinyl.

I would love to come out. . .

p

Scott F.

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #15 on: 4 Aug 2004, 02:59 am »
Yep, just found it on eBay. I'll see if I can snipe it.

I checked at Euclid Records and they didn't have a copy in stock. I'll try Vintage Vinyl too. I'd rather give my money to the local guys if I can.

Hey P, come on out anytime! Just give me an hour or so notice so I can vacuum up the crud  :o

Do we want to turn this into the 'official' Vinylization Party? Anybody else want to make the trek or does somebody else want to host the main event  :lol:  :?:

pjchappy

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #16 on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:17 am »
I'm sure Vintage Vinyl would have it. . .

I haven't been there since about my sophomore year at SLU. . .6 years ago.

I'll let you know when I'm ready to come out. . .whereabouts do you live?  I'm down in Soulard.

p

Scott F.

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #17 on: 4 Aug 2004, 04:22 am »
I'm on the other side of 6 Flags just off the hiway. For you it's a straight shot out 44. I'm about 30 minutes away.

Lets see if any of the other guys are interested in coming out and then we can set a firm day and time. A weekend day would probably be the best for most.

pjchappy

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #18 on: 4 Aug 2004, 05:02 am »
Yeah, a week-night is a no-go for me. . .

p

sturgus

OK So what did I miss?
« Reply #19 on: 5 Aug 2004, 04:05 am »
Hey fellas
I have been out of the loop for a few days. Just to let everyone know I had a great time last week. Amazing I never get tired of this stuff. Steve thanks for being a great host. Also it was good seeing everyone again. Paul I am glad I got a chance to meet you. Hope you enjoyed yourself as much as I did.  Maybe someday soon we can go hear some live music as a group.
Sturgus