30 pin connector to 3.5mm confusion and is it better?

apollophono

Ok, don't know if this has been brought up before.  Searched
and I didn't see it. 

Question: Does using the 30 pin connector to 3.5mm phone
jack bypass the internal iPhone/pod dac or is that only
possible by going 30 pin to usb?  I don't see how that is
possible.

I've heard that it sounds better by going 30 pin to 3.5mm than
using 3.5mm 3.5mm.  Is it?  I would buy a 30 pin to 3.5mm
if it is.

If the iPhone/pod dac or headphone audio out
is that bad I would think "audiophile"
amplifier manufactures for the iPhone/pod would
recommend going to 30 pin to 3.5mm. 

srb

Re: 30 pin connector to 3.5mm confusion and is it better?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2013, 02:37 am »
Question: Does using the 30 pin connector to 3.5mm phone jack bypass the internal iPhone/pod dac or is that only possible by going 30 pin to usb?  I don't see how that is possible.

The 30-pin dock connector only bypasses the internal DAC when connected to a digital dock that has embedded Apple licensed software to enable it.  There is an Apple CCK (Camera Connection Kit) cable that is able to output USB audio, but I think that is limited to the iPad only.

I've heard that it sounds better by going 30 pin to 3.5mm than using 3.5mm 3.5mm.  Is it?  I would buy a 30 pin to 3.5mm if it is.

Using the 30-pin connector with an analog LOD (Line Out Dock) cable does not bypass the internal DAC, but will give you a true line-level analog output that bypasses the internal headphone amplifier and jack.  For my iPod 30GB Video and iPod Touch 4G, it made an improvement in overall clarity as well as improved solidity of bass.  Of course, the internal iPod volume control is out of the circuit when using an LOD cable.

Steve

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2013, 02:51 am »
 I don't know everything about the subject, but the 30 pin connector can output digital signal and bypass internal DAC. So you would need an external DAC to convert to analog. I'm told it can improve the sound some, but we're not talking high fidelity anyway. I almost bought one of these, which presumably has a better DAC,  but now have Lightning connector, so glad I didn't jump.

Don't know if you can output digital signal to 3.5 mm plug. What would you plug it into?

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-i-20-30-Pin-iPhone-Speaker/dp/B0049MOK92/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1JF5P91D58CNM&coliid=I1CUHAP0EP0CFW

apollophono

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2013, 02:58 am »
Thank you SRB and Peter J.   :thumb:  That helps with
the bypass DAC issue.  The other I will have to decide
if I can tell the difference if I use a 30 pin to 3.5mm
(complete).  I've used a Fiio LOD (no cable), but
couldn't tell any difference.  If anything it sounded
worse.  I suspect because I was having to use a
separate 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. 

apollophono

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2013, 03:05 am »
Sorry Peter J.  I'm using my iPod touch to either a
Dayton Audio DTA-1 T-amp or my TBI millennia
amp.

I have Cambridge Audio Scirocco S30
and A/D/S L300c speakers.  Not the best, but
I'm looking to upgrade to Ascend Acoustics
CBM 170se and a subwoofer. 

I have the highest resolution possible of AAC
tracks on my iPod and maybe my equipment
and source is not up to the task of getting
high enough quality sound to notice the
difference. 

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2013, 06:42 pm »
Unless the equipments you are using are capable of showing the difference, you will not gain anything from taking lineout / digital out data.

If you are interested in improving the sound from your ipod checkout companies like ALO Audio, Cypher Labs, Ray Samuels etc.

Checkout this video from Head-fi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmtd7m_3lw8

I use a Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang but I don’t use a digital player, I use tape player see a couple of my setups below.

Checkout this article too http://www.headfonia.com/the-usual-suspects-12-portable-amps-compared/

srb

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2013, 08:05 pm »
Unless the equipments you are using are capable of showing the difference, you will not gain anything from taking lineout / digital out data.

I believe almost any setup can benefit from using the iPod or iPhone line out vs. the headphone out.

I've heard a positive difference with three of my (different) iPods connected to an Insignia NS-R2001 receiver + Athena AS-B1 speaker setup, a Scythe SD1100 amplifier + KEF Cresta 1 speaker setup and a Denon AVR-1603 receiver + Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speaker setup.

Steve

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2013, 08:38 pm »
I believe almost any setup can benefit from using the iPod or iPhone line out vs. the headphone out.

Steve

Clearly in this case it did not benefit or he can’t hear the difference, hence for him a waste money.