OB opposing servo subs with passive 2-way (L/R)

TF1216

• Industry Participant
OB opposing servo subs with passive 2-way (L/R)
« on: 25 Oct 2013, 02:55 pm »
Hello,

I have been struggling to find an affordable tube amplifier that will adequately drive my 3-ways.  I have considered using class-D for the wooofers but I want to keep things more simplistic than that; I want to use one amplifier or built-in power to the woofers.  I have considered replacing the 10" woofer (Scan-Speak 26W/8867T) with servo subs as seen in the Super-V and the Serenity 7.  I have heard both and the bass in the Serenity 7 was so outstanding I have been thinking about it ever since RMAF 2012.

Has anyone successfully placed a 2-way above the opposing woofer configuration used on the Super-V and Serenity 7?  Does anyone have a picture of where the plate amp lives?  Also, how about dual 8" drivers instead of the 12" ones?

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read this. 

jparkhur

Re: OB opposing servo subs with passive 2-way (L/R)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2013, 03:39 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=111297.120

Tech. this is what the coaxial driver of the super v or the full range / coax of any other speaker is doing here.  There has been conversation that putting a bookshelf speaker on top of a sub is not always good, but you could put the seal version of the sub 8 or 12 in your box (with some work) and run it.  You would then have to put the amp on the floor or build it in to the box.  The amp is 11 inches wide and the new servo 8 am is only 8 inches wide. 

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2013, 03:47 pm »
Thanks JP.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to reuse my box.  I am not capable of the handiwork it would take to change out drivers.

Why was the three (3) 8" driver configuration used instead of the opposing 12" woofers? 

jparkhur

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2013, 03:53 pm »
Baffle size smaller, 8 inches all the way down, 8 inch top driver, baffle size, :), smaller form, some can not get two 12 H Frame's in to their system/room.  They work very well and do play deep in to the 20s.

Jon

Built to put whatever driver you want on top or maybe even two drivers plus the tweeter is set at the right ear height 

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2013, 04:01 pm »
Thank you.  I started reading the thread and it occurred to me I followed the build when it was active.  Very cool!

If we have WI/MN event will these speakers be in attendance?

jparkhur

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2013, 04:11 pm »
No, sorry.    Built them for Richard HAL HOLIS AUDIO and a pair for myself.  Not in the house right now.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2013, 04:32 pm »
The three 8" servo subs in the Monolith's sound great with the prototype servo amps.  Just waiting on news of the amps being in stock.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2013, 04:48 pm »
The three 8" servo subs in the Monolith's sound great with the prototype servo amps.  Just waiting on news of the amps being in stock.

Do you know if the prototype amps were used with the Serenity 7 speakers?  I think I would need the 12" drivers to mate better with the width of my 2-ways.  That 8" driver configuration very intriguing however.

jparkhur

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2013, 04:49 pm »
The protos are only for the 8's, not the 12's.   The Regular 370 amp that Danny R has will do fine.

JP

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2013, 04:51 pm »
The protos are only for the 8's, not the 12's.   The Regular 370 amp that Danny R has will do fine.

JP

Thank you. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2013, 11:42 pm »
Hello,

I have been struggling to find an affordable tube amplifier that will adequately drive my 3-ways.  I have considered using class-D for the wooofers but I want to keep things more simplistic than that; I want to use one amplifier or built-in power to the woofers.  I have considered replacing the 10" woofer (Scan-Speak 26W/8867T) with servo subs as seen in the Super-V and the Serenity 7.  I have heard both and the bass in the Serenity 7 was so outstanding I have been thinking about it ever since RMAF 2012.

Has anyone successfully placed a 2-way above the opposing woofer configuration used on the Super-V and Serenity 7?  Does anyone have a picture of where the plate amp lives?  Also, how about dual 8" drivers instead of the 12" ones?

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read this.
Well, not exactly a two way on top of the Open Baffle Super V woofers.....

<-----------------

except the positions are now basically reversed from my avatar photo. Still a work in progress trying to get them integrated.

Impressive sound though  :thumb:

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2013, 09:49 pm »
Does anyone know what woofers and amplifiers were used in the Serenity 7?  Was it the SW-12-xx and A370PEQ?

mikeeastman

« Reply #12 on: 8 Nov 2013, 10:39 pm »
 The A370PEQ

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2013, 05:46 am »
Does anyone know what woofers and amplifiers were used in the Serenity 7?  Was it the SW-12-xx and A370PEQ?

Yep that's the amp and the woofers are our SW-12-16FR's. Flat to 20Hz and -3db in the teens. They stop on a dime too.  :thumb: