Mavericks

Crimson

Mavericks
« on: 24 Oct 2013, 11:03 pm »
Just a heads up: Mavericks has restored support for integer playback, as demonstrated last night in my listening room with Pure Music and Audirvana+.

Blackmore

Re: Mavericks
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2013, 01:24 am »
 :thumb:

Just installed it on my iMac and will use Pure Music tomorrow morning.  Thanks for the update.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2013, 12:13 pm »
Assuming I should have no problem running on my 2.26 Core 2 Duo macbook with 8gb RAM, but will wait until the first update.

jparkhur

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2013, 12:23 pm »
Installed on three computers, two 21 inch macs, and one mac mini.  Had no issues with install from 10.8 at all.  It did take about 45 minutes to get everything set and all updates rolling-then a disk utility repair permissions just in case.   I run Audivana and have had no issues there either.

JP

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2013, 01:23 pm »
Just a heads up: Mavericks has restored support for integer playback, as demonstrated last night in my listening room with Pure Music and Audirvana+.

I'm old to audio but new to music servers, bought an iMac last Christmas, just ripped all my CDs to ALAC files, planning on adding Pure Music, not interested in high resolution, just updated to Maverick. 

Questions:

Is Pure Music compatable with Maverick? 

What is "integer playback"?
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2013, 12:04 pm by JLM »

jparkhur

jparkhur

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2013, 01:41 pm »
From Pure Music

NOTICE: In preliminary testing, Pure Music has proven compatible with Apple's new Mavericks OS (10.9). However, DO NOT upgrade a working system to Mavericks unless you are certain that your audio interface / DAC is compatible (obtain confirmation from the audio interface / DAC manufacturer). Please see our Support page for additional Mavericks (OS X 10.9) Compatibility Information.

PeteG

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2013, 02:31 pm »
Installed Mavericks 10.9 and upgraded JRiver for Mac to 19.06, so I can now use integer mode and real-time 2xDSD output using DoP. So far everything is working great not one problem, as for SQ I need a few days with it to see how it compares to Win/JRiver combo (bootcamp).

dburna

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2013, 05:33 pm »
Would someone explain HOW I can enable integer playback on my Mac Mini?  Is this done through iTunes, System Settings, or a third-party music player (I used Pure Music).

Thanks,  -dB

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2013, 05:35 pm »
Would someone explain HOW I can enable integer playback on my Mac Mini?  Is this done through iTunes, System Settings, or a third-party music player (I used Pure Music).

Thanks,  -dB
It would be done through PM if it can do it.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2013, 05:39 pm »
You might find this post interesting.  I have switched from PM to JRiver....

For example we have mounted and staffed exhibits at five major audio expos this year - AXPONA, New York, Newport Beach California, Capital City Audio Fest and Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. This does not come cheaply - there is the cost of the exhibit room, hotel, travel, plus freight charges for shipping equipment to the shows and back. Our total expenses for all these shows ran over twenty thousand dollars. At the recent Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last week we even set up and staffed not one, but two listening rooms. One might ask, where are the other music player software companies? Dead? Certainly not. But we were the only one to actually set up and host listening rooms (that is, Channel D listed as a principal exhibitor of a listening room, and contributed equipment and set-up the room ourselves) at the above mentioned shows this year, and historically usually have been the only one, ever since we started hosting our own exhibits at audiophile expos over seven years ago.

Would a company with a “dead” product expend this sort of effort promoting and supporting it?

As another example - Apple released iTunes 11.0.3 a couple of months ago, which broke at least three major music players, including Pure Music. However, within hours of the iTunes release we had posted a work-around involving a simple settings change that eliminated the issue. And within 24 hours we had posted an update to Pure Music that eliminated the issue altogether, without the work-around. I wonder if the other companies were equally responsive?

Recent example: less than two days ago, Apple released OS X 10.9 “Mavericks.” We began downloading it within minutes, and within a few hours had successfully completed preliminary testing (finding no issues at all) and posted to that effect on our website. It has been running nonstop since then on one of our test machines without ado. We will continue to test it over the weekend on additional computers.

Sales of Pure Music and our other products continue to do well (obviously, or we could not finance our continued participation at audio expos and introduce new products). I also like to think that we lead everyone in the quality of our customer support, providing free, lifetime unlimited email, telephone and Remote Support - we will call users anywhere in the world, pay for the call on our dime and conduct a Remote Support session, and have done so across all the continents (except Antarctica).

The product road map for future releases of Pure Music has more than 100 items in it - including brand new features and performance enhancements. I cannot discuss specifics but there is a major new version on the horizon that will be well worth the wait. It will rearrange the landscape. In the meantime there will be one more dot release with some (but not all) asked for enhancements. Of course development of the dot releases and the major update are proceeding in parallel.

We do have a broad product line (meaning not just minor, marketing-driven variations on a single product) to tend to, which does slow development of the individual products somewhat. That is the downside. The upside of a broad product line is the same as having a diversified portfolio rather than expending all efforts on a single thing, or all eggs in one basket. Also, we tend to time planned updates relatively far apart, incorporating many features at once rather than small incremental updates which I think are annoying to users who want to focus on listening to music on their systems (I still am occasionally surprised to find users who are running a Pure Music version that a year or two out of date) rather than the minutiae of constantly tweaking and upgrading. (A few users have been sent interim Pure Music releases which enhance the current feature set, that will be incorporated into the next minor release.) For others who want to see a more rapid rate of update releases, that unfortunately means waiting a bit.

That said, since Pure Music 1.0, we have released dozens of free-of-charge updates bringing over THREE HUNDRED ground-breaking new features and performance enhancements, and all for FREE. This includes but is not limited to being the first audiophile music player software to provide DSD streaming support, and our patent-pending and novel use of proxy pointer files permitting playing unsupported formats such as FLAC and DSD via iTunes, that was copied without authorization by the developer of another product mentioned here. Incidentally we have just been notified regarding the initial patent office’s office action on that patent application, and it was favorable, so it should be only a matter of time until we are able to enforce our rights protecting that innovation.

Incidentally, to address a point made in another post: it is not sensible to combine upsampling with integer mode playback, because upsampling requires conversion from integer to floating point (high quality upsampling requires floating point) and then truncation back to integer format. This is at odds with the putative reason for integer mode, which is minimizing or eliminating any signal processing (including floating point conversion), and merely sending the audio samples straight to the DAC / output device. And it is heartening to see that Apple has re- instated the APIs for integer support in the latest OS, avoiding unsupported methods of writing to the OS kernel, something not advised by Apple.

I anticipate that this response may be picked apart and portions used out of context. I am sorry that I won’t have the time to respond to that, because I need to get back to work on the next release of Pure Music... The reason for writing this response was in case someone wandered in here seeking the answer to the question posed in the thread title, and wanted the story from the product manufacturer. Thank you very much for your time.

Rob Robinson, Channel D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2013, 05:54 pm »
From Pure Music

NOTICE: In preliminary testing, Pure Music has proven compatible with Apple's new Mavericks OS (10.9). However, DO NOT upgrade a working system to Mavericks unless you are certain that your audio interface / DAC is compatible (obtain confirmation from the audio interface / DAC manufacturer). Please see our Support page for additional Mavericks (OS X 10.9) Compatibility Information.

Yeah read that, hoping that one of you really smart people could tell me what it means if I haven't installed Pure Music yet.

scb

« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2013, 03:22 pm »
You might find this post interesting.  I have switched from PM to JRiver....

What I find interesting is that they say they downloaded Mavericks when it was released and then started testing.

Developers have had access to builds of Mavericks since June. I really hope they didn't start testing after October 22