Has anyone used the PS Audio P3 or P5 regenerators?

Big Red Machine

Has anyone used the PS Audio P3 or P5 regenerators?
« on: 23 Oct 2013, 06:47 pm »
I think trying a regenerator is the final inch in this long mile of dropping the background noise.  It's been years since I owned a regenerator and have no experience with this new gear.  The balanced transformer from Furman I use now is working pretty well but I think I can go one step further with the front end gear.

What say you more experienced users?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Has anyone used the PS Audio P3 or P5 regenerators?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2013, 06:50 pm »
No experience with them at all.  Can't say I'd ever even consider one though.   :scratch:

This though, heck yeah!   :green:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2013, 08:52 pm »
I'd heard of the Plasma unit prior to the RMAF via some guys on Audiogon.  And they liked it.  But way over my price range right now. :o

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:36 pm »
I'd heard of the Plasma unit prior to the RMAF via some guys on Audiogon.  And they liked it.  But way over my price range right now. :o
Mine too.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2013, 04:16 pm »
I'm sitting here on the fence too. I may have to bite the bullet and call someone I know who makes tube gear and does a lot of tube regulation; I'm sure he would have some interesting things to say about power issues.

Stay tuned....

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2013, 05:51 pm »
No experience with them at all.  Can't say I'd ever even consider one though.   :scratch:

This though, heck yeah!   :green:

JT, I am confused by your response?  Typically you claim to believe in science; well, an properly implemented AC regenerator is about as scientific an approach one can get to power delivery as is possible.  So I do not understand why you would not consider one?  AC regenerators are about as far from "snake oil" type products for power delivery as can be.  Hi Fi News has measured them to be demonstrably better than the AC input...

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2013, 05:56 pm »
Music Direct sells them and they have a great return policy. Could grab a demo unit to save some bucks.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2013, 02:08 am »
ANybody have great noise reduction results with regenerators?

doctorcilantro

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2013, 04:22 am »
Some guys on the Decware forums hold them in high regard, saying they are dead silent using them with tube gear.

And I am asking the same question. PM if you might be interested in a Signal DU-3 brand new. I'm not sure I can commit to ship overseas. You could have a balanced isolation tranny for under 400 after adding IEC and outlet.
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2013, 09:56 am by doctorcilantro »

One and a half

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2014, 09:04 am »
Regenerators are not a free lunch.
They are at best 97% efficient. The noise they create has to go somewhere, whether the power line or emitted from the case.

You are pretty well off with the Furman balanced transformer. If you have a digital front end, consider, a separate balanced transformer for the source components.
Devices like the ifi USB are good for USB connections to reduce the noise from computers, has helped markedly.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2014, 03:51 pm »
The regenerators still create some distortion on the line. A 'percentage'.. So they may want to give the illusion they make perfect AC but in fact they are really about as good as other good power conditioners.
The downside is it  takes power to regenerate. the old ones were using twice the power that it put out as usable AC. The new ones are better, but they still use up a third more power.. So for any large power-hungry device like an amplifier they are just not efficient enough to please any 'greenie'.

I owned a PS Audio PPP and sold it. Anytime the plasma TV was on the PPP fan would start whirring away.

I bought a used Furman REF20I. The Furman is way better! 
Later I bought a used PS Audio P600 but ONLY because I wanted to play with a feature it had (with an optional board) of being able to produce alternate AC 'frequency' So instead of a 60Hz sinewave, it can make a nyHz from 60 to 120 (Someone in Stereophile mentioned playing with this to some good effect, and I wanted to try it.) So I use my PS Audio P600 regenerator only for a few digital items. It wastes power, but so what, it is only a few dozen watts.

So what I am saying is folks are not realizing the regenerators are NOT making a perfect sine wave. Just a somewhat better one. AND, as I wrote,the other types can certainly do as well. Without wasting a ton of electricity doing so.

I would not trade my Furman REF20i for any other conditioner.. It is all I can want in one. I would say I find the powerfactor conditioners to be great. Other Furman I have no experience with.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2014, 03:57 pm »
If you want an absolute perfect sine wave you need an old Elgar 6006B unit.  Sadly, they're not made anymore but they are usually around on ebay for a couple of hundred.