VH Audio Plasmatron

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
VH Audio Plasmatron
« on: 13 Oct 2013, 05:42 am »
Saw this guy at RMAF today.  Looks really cool and thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.vhaudio.com/plasmatron.html

The Plasmatron provides a more linear voltage output by adding negative resistance to the power line source impedance. But that’s ‘EE-speak’... What that really means is: the voltage supplied by the Plasmatron won’t drop. In fact, it can actually go up, when the load is increased. Need more. Get more.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: VH Audio Plasmatron
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2013, 01:38 pm »
Thanks for the link Jason.

Chris is one the good guys in the audio business.

He produces quality products that are based on science and not voodoo.

If you see Chris again, please say hi for me.

George

cab

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2013, 03:01 pm »

He produces quality products that are based on science and not voodoo.

Reading through the web ad, I don't see any science. What is this, exactly? We are told what it isn't. I see no specs for what levels of distortion it creates, or any other specs for that matter. It sounds like it's trying to be a voltage regulator to supply a constant voltage. Given that most household line voltage is fairly stable, what benefits exactly does a more tightly regulated voltage provide, especially in light of the fact that the ac is rectified to dc anyway.....it claims to benefit digital equipment, again, why? One can get lab supplies that regulate voltage for a fraction of the megabucks these things cost. Oh, they do look cool, that I won't dispute...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2013, 05:48 pm »
Reading through the web ad, I don't see any science. What is this, exactly? We are told what it isn't. I see no specs for what levels of distortion it creates, or any other specs for that matter. It sounds like it's trying to be a voltage regulator to supply a constant voltage. Given that most household line voltage is fairly stable, what benefits exactly does a more tightly regulated voltage provide, especially in light of the fact that the ac is rectified to dc anyway.....it claims to benefit digital equipment, again, why? One can get lab supplies that regulate voltage for a fraction of the megabucks these things cost. Oh, they do look cool, that I won't dispute...
Understanding the operation of thyratrons: what they do and don't do - will tell you why this is a more than viable concept and project.

Chris Ven Haus is one of the true gentlemen in this industry and a no BS guy.

And you are right... It looks too cool!

Dave

cab

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2013, 05:55 pm »
So let's see more explanation on what it is and what it does, and some specs.....I'm not criticizing the character of the seller, I'm asking for some facts instead of marketing.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2013, 06:32 pm »
So let's see more explanation on what it is and what it does, and some specs.....I'm not criticizing the character of the seller, I'm asking for some facts instead of marketing.
Sellers do a lot of work on their products before bringing to market.  Along with that is ofetn thousands of $$$ worth os R&D, tooling, parts supply, etc., etc, ad infinitum.

I can't tell you the nuymber of times people have criticized my for not laying out every aspect of my products from schematic to how it works.  Never gonna happen.  No one is entitled to my intellectual property and I believe the same thing for other manufacturers.  Especially someone as ethical and honest as Mr. Ven Haus.

Want to to know how it works - due diligence is the place to start.  I'm not trying to be a jerk about this.  I write what I write out of respect for the creator of the product.

Marketing is how we sell our products.

Dave

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2013, 06:39 pm »
We're running it in our room, and it definitely gives an improvement ...

cab

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2013, 06:48 pm »
I'm not asking for a circuit diagram, just an reasonable explanation as to what it "is"....All we get on the web site is "what it isn't" along with a bunch of sales jargon. "What" does it do? Not "how"....$7000 for something that can't be explained other than "it makes your system sound better"? I don't think so....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2013, 06:49 pm »
Did you read the original post? 

From the page that I linked:

The Plasmatron provides a more linear voltage output by adding negative resistance to the power line source impedance. But that’s ‘EE-speak’... What that really means is: the voltage supplied by the Plasmatron won’t drop. In fact, it can actually go up, when the load is increased. Need more. Get more.

cab

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2013, 07:11 pm »
Did you read my original post?

It sounds like it's trying to be a voltage regulator to supply a constant voltage. Given that most household line voltage is fairly stable, what benefits exactly does a more tightly regulated voltage provide, especially in light of the fact that the ac is rectified to dc anyway.....it claims to benefit digital equipment, again, why? One can get lab supplies that regulate voltage for a fraction of the megabucks these things cost. Oh, they do look cool, that I won't dispute

It's all smoke....

yo2tup

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2013, 07:25 pm »
I keep my digital front end powered on 24/7.  I think it sounds better after being warmed up for a day so I just keep it on all the time.  This plasmatron seems like a really cool idea but I wouldn't want to keep it on 24/7 so don't think it's a viable option for me.

Then again... The digital front end sounding better when it's on 24/7 may be all in my head...lol

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2013, 08:12 pm »
It's altering the noise on the incoming power to something that doesn't sound as bad when it creates digital distortion. Our ears are sensitive to the type of distortion more so than typical levels found in audiophile gear.

Also lowering source impedence will increase some equipments normal noise rejection.

cab

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2013, 08:35 pm »
It's altering the noise on the incoming power to something that doesn't sound as bad when it creates digital distortion. Our ears are sensitive to the type of distortion more so than typical levels found in audiophile gear.

Also lowering source impedence will increase some equipments normal noise rejection.

How do you know that? We have no specs about how much noise it is adding on its own, how well it regulates, etc.

How can it lower the source's impedence? It not in the signal chain....???

jriggy

« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2013, 08:49 pm »
Glad to see this thing finally show up! I happened upon it (online), during its trials/prototype days, last year some time. Was offered one of the last prototypes for purchase but I am not an early adaptor type.
 Definitely looking forward to reading some opinions on the plasmatron

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2013, 09:17 pm »
How can it lower the source's impedence? It not in the signal chain....???
The quote from Salis Audio is:

"Also lowering source impedence will increase some equipments normal noise rejection."

It does not say the source's impedance.  It says: "source impedance"  Two entirely different things.

Dave

cab

« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2013, 09:22 pm »
So it's a power factor correcting device? Who knows what is does, it isn't explained how it improves anything. It just makes things "sound better"....

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2013, 09:59 pm »
So it's a power factor correcting device? Who knows what is does, it isn't explained how it improves anything. It just makes things "sound better"....
Are you in the market for such a device?  If so, Solis and I make those types of devices.  Ours make things sound better, too.

Dave

cab

« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2013, 11:22 pm »
Thanks for the pitch.

jriggy

« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2013, 11:28 pm »
Are you in the market for such a device?  If so, Solis and I make those types of devices.  Ours make things sound better, too.

Dave

Not to take away from the as yet unheard Plasmatron, but Dave, I thought your offerings made things sound more gooder

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2013, 02:42 am »
Thanks for the pitch.
Oh, now I understand completely.  A grumpy critic, not a true audio enthusiast in search of better sound. 

That's cool. It is good to know they players.  It's all good.   8)

Dave