Mr Speaker Alpha Dogs

thomc

Mr Speaker Alpha Dogs
« on: 21 Oct 2013, 06:08 pm »
Anyone have there's yet?  Opinion?   I'm considering these, but would like to have direct commentary before purchase.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: Mr Speaker Alpha Dogs
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2013, 06:33 pm »
It will take some time for me to try them, but there's a long thread going at Head-fi. Maybe Frank is writing a review soon?

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2013, 08:26 pm »
I heard them at Capitol Audiofest back in July. The sound was amazing, holding their own against the much more costly Audeze and Hifiman cans. They got very clammy-feeling on my head very quickly though (as do most sealed cans). If this isn't the case for you, they are definitely worth looking into.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2013, 09:58 pm »
Love my MadDog v3.2 headphones. I grabbed these around the time the Alpha Dogs were announced. They are a great sealed headphone that I love for when I am at work.

And I can upgrade the 3.2 to the Alpha Dogs for just the cost difference between the two headphones! Can't beat that! Financially nice to split up the costs of the purchase of the Alpha Dogs this way.

Impressions over at Headfi of the Alpha Dogs are pretty universally positive. And seem to be great for the price.

rodge827

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2013, 11:31 pm »
Roscoeiii thanks for the informal review, glad to hear you like them...a lot  :D

I'm going to the Head-Fi meet in Philadelphia (North Wales) on Saturday.
Mr Speakers will be in attendance and I hope to be able to try them on various set ups.
These are on my short list, and I will post my findings.

Chris

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2013, 12:22 am »
Nothing beats a meet. Enjoy the cans you check out. And do report back.

Mr Speakers also has a 14 day return policy

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2013, 07:45 pm »

Impressions over at Headfi of the Alpha Dogs are pretty universally positive. And seem to be great for the price.

That's very true. Some even compare them to Audeze of Hifiman.

Srajan at 6 moons just started writing about the Alpha dogs:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/mrspeakers/1.html

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2013, 08:27 pm »
I will eventually compare my Mad Dogs to my HiFiMan HE-5LEs. And will compare the Alpha Dogs to the HE-5LEs as well once I break down and pull the trigger (though there seems to be a bit of a waitlist for converting Mad Dogs to Alpha Dogs).

Douger

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2013, 10:15 pm »
I am on the list, probably be February or later that I send my Mad Dogs for conversion... The Alpha Dogs sounded great at RMAF!

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2013, 06:45 pm »
I will eventually compare my Mad Dogs to my HiFiMan HE-5LEs. And will compare the Alpha Dogs to the HE-5LEs as well once I break down and pull the trigger (though there seems to be a bit of a waitlist for converting Mad Dogs to Alpha Dogs).

I will be interested on that! Dan (Mrspeakers) suggested a few amps that pair really well with the Mad dogs, which one you are using roscoeiii?

rodge827

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2013, 01:24 am »
Looks like Dan won't be at the meet, but has sent along the Alpha Dogs for demo.
The 4 cans on my short list are the Mad Dog Alphas, AKG 702, Hifiman HE 500, and Senn HD 600's.
Trying to keep the cost reasonable.
Will post findings.

rodge827

« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2013, 12:10 pm »
Didn't make the meet. :(

Had a last minute work thing to take care of.  :evil:

Work is sooo overrated!

Hope to make the NY meet in a couple of weeks.  :)

Chris

toocool4

« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2013, 02:03 pm »
Checkout Jude from Head-fi video review here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMMG-sc4lw