Glass tops

Big Red Machine

Glass tops
« on: 18 Oct 2013, 12:50 am »
I know, a little overkill, but all flat surfaces become resting homes for objects that should not be on the top of your nice veneers.  :nono:

So I finally got around to having some glass cut for tops of the SS8's  Cost a whopping $13.65.  I went with 3/16 to be less visible.  Wanted 1/4 inch but the green edge would have been even more noticeable and with the blue dye the green clashes.  Glass w/o the green tinting is special order so I passed on that.

Kinda anal, but I know me and eventually I'll have an oops.  Now to find some felt pads...

martyo

Re: Glass tops
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2013, 06:42 pm »
Cool Pete.  8)

( we all know this is just the beginning with the glass, there will be multiple upgrades) :P

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2013, 06:46 pm »
Yeah, something acoustically transparent. :duh:

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2013, 07:30 pm »
I once used smoked glass on a walnut veneer subwoofer. It looked great--at least I thought so.  :lol: Very reasonably priced from my local glass supply company and that included polished edges.

Gzerro

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2013, 08:53 pm »
Now to find some felt pads...

I use Herbies "small thin dots" for under the glass tops I had made for my Salk/Rythmik subs. I am sure there are cheaper options, but the dots look nice and are just the right size.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2013, 08:55 pm »
I use Herbies "small thin dots" for under the glass tops I had made for my Salk/Rythmik subs. I am sure there are cheaper options, but the dots look nice and are just the right size.

No residue that you are aware of left behind?

Gzerro

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2013, 09:26 pm »
No residue that you are aware of left behind?

I have had them over 18 months and no visible sign of residue or discoloration underneath. I didn't get the "sticky" version, but even those are listed as "loudspeaker safe".

mojave

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2013, 09:34 pm »
Desk Buttons are what we use in the glass industry between glass and wood for glass on desks, table tops, etc. You should be able to get them for free from the place that cut the glass. I can put some in the mail today if you want me to.

The green is caused by iron in the glass. When the edges are polished it is even more visible. Low iron glass is used when clarity is desired.

WireNut

« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2013, 11:09 pm »
BigRedMachine,

I'd like to know how you did that color  :o

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2013, 06:44 pm »
BigRedMachine,

I'd like to know how you did that color  :o

Jim did blue dye over the Tamo ash.  Or are you asking 'how in the world did I land on blue?' :icon_surprised:

martyo

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2013, 06:52 pm »
Jim did blue dye over the Tamo ash.  Or are you asking 'how in the world did I land on blue?' :icon_surprised:

Can't he figure it out from your screen name? :P

WireNut

« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2013, 07:04 pm »

I like the blue. Never seen blue over wood veneer before.....

coke

« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2013, 01:07 pm »
Jim should offer these as an option. 

I remember when I first got my speakers and invited a friend and his wife over to listen.  As they were walking in the room; she threw her keys on top of one of my brand new speakers like it was a cheap coffee table  :evil:

JonnyFive

« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2013, 03:23 pm »
I remember when I first got my speakers and invited a friend and his wife over to listen.  As they were walking in the room; she threw her keys on top of one of my brand new speakers like it was a cheap coffee table  :evil:

Whoa!!!!  Did it scratch? 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2013, 03:41 pm »
I want to know if you are still friends with your buddy after you backhanded his wife!  beeeyotch!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2013, 05:57 pm »
Yeah Pete, how come they aren't stained 'Red'?

coke

« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2013, 07:22 pm »
Whoa!!!!  Did it scratch?

Luckily it didn't do anything noticeable.

I want to know if you are still friends with your buddy after you backhanded his wife!  beeeyotch!

I did yell at her, but there was no backhanding lol

Scoville

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2013, 03:21 am »

Posted by: Big Red Machine
« on: Yesterday at 03:41 pm

Big Red Machine --

Hitting women isn't funny.

Jim White