Should I buy new or maybe go used?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Should I buy new or maybe go used?
« on: 17 Oct 2013, 07:05 pm »
I have room for a small home theater area in the basement of my new house. There are a lot of entry-level 1080p projects, but I know from my plasma-buying experience that I like dark black levels. So I'm considering a used or recondition DILA projector like the Sony VPLHW30ES or the JVC DLAX3. I don't care about 3D since I have monovision and cannot take advantage of that feature. What do you think? A new projector will most likely run $900 to $2000. A used JVC or Sony is attainable for $1,500 to $2,000. My gut says roll the dice and go for the black levels.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Should I buy new or maybe go used?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2013, 07:11 pm »
I have room for a small home theater area in the basement of my new house. There are a lot of entry-level 1080p projects, but I know from my plasma-buying experience that I like dark black levels. So I'm considering a used or recondition DILA projector like the Sony VPLHW30ES or the JVC DLAX3. I don't care about 3D since I have monovision and cannot take advantage of that feature. What do you think? A new projector will most likely run $900 to $2000. A used JVC or Sony is attainable for $1,500 to $2,000. My gut says roll the dice and go for the black levels.

The Epson units have slightly better blacks than the Sony, but not quite as good as the JVC.

Equally important, is how much lumen output do you require for the screen size you will ultimately choose.

FWIW, I own the Epson 6020 (which I selected over the Sony).

Here is a nice comparison:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080p-projector/2000-3500.php

George

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2013, 07:21 pm »
Thanks, George. I will check out the Epson. One thing I like about the JVC is its ability to project a 2.35 to 1 image without a panamorphic lens. Whether or not the projector included 2.35 would drive my decision about the screen. But overall, I don't need a huge screen for a 10-12 foot viewing distance. I suspect I'll start out with an inexpensive fixed screen (2.35 or 16:9) and then move up at some point. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2013, 08:13 pm »
Thanks, George. I will check out the Epson. One thing I like about the JVC is its ability to project a 2.35 to 1 image without a panamorphic lens. Whether or not the projector included 2.35 would drive my decision about the screen. But overall, I don't need a huge screen for a 10-12 foot viewing distance. I suspect I'll start out with an inexpensive fixed screen (2.35 or 16:9) and then move up at some point. 

There is an Epson or Panny model that will do the same 2.35 or 16.9 for around $2k.  Considered going that way myself but I did not want a perforated screen and could not fit a wide enough non-perf screen between the speakers to justify the added expense of the projector change.  So I ended up using my older 1080 pj and bought an electric screen that works very nicely.  I watch 1/10 the movies I used to in this new place.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2013, 09:03 pm »
There is an Epson or Panny model that will do the same 2.35 or 16.9 for around $2k.  Considered going that way myself but I did not want a perforated screen and could not fit a wide enough non-perf screen between the speakers to justify the added expense of the projector change.  So I ended up using my older 1080 pj and bought an electric screen that works very nicely.  I watch 1/10 the movies I used to in this new place.

It's a little pricey, but Elite Screens CineWhite 1.1/Osprey offers two screens in a single housing. If you are doing CinemaScope, drop down that screen. For 16:9, push the other button. Stereovision has a good overview here: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/top-picks-projection-screens. I'm kind of liking the Lunette curved screens.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2013, 01:19 pm »
The Epson units have slightly better blacks than the Sony, but not quite as good as the JVC.

Equally important, is how much lumen output do you require for the screen size you will ultimately choose.

FWIW, I own the Epson 6020 (which I selected over the Sony).

Here is a nice comparison:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080p-projector/2000-3500.php

George

Hi George:

Epson has a new model, the 5030UB, that looks interesting. It is much like the 5020 but with twice as much contrast (600000:1). Thanks for the suggestion.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2013, 02:03 pm »
The 5030 does look interesting.  It is supposed to start shipping in December and I'm in process of a move (early next year) and I'll be taking a look at it.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2013, 02:28 pm »
To avoid washout from ambient/reflected lighting, take a close look at the screen innovations black diamond.  It made a big difference for me.

If interested, Pm me and I will give you contact that gave me a good price for it.