HDMI audio output to BDP-103/105

JohnR

HDMI audio output to BDP-103/105
« on: 16 Oct 2013, 06:08 am »
It occurred to me that a Mac could be connected to the HDMI input of the BDP-103/105 players, thus bypassing USB completely. So I went and bought a Mini-DisplayPort -> HDMI cable, and it works great! (Plugged into a Thunderbolt port of my rMBP). Although, it does seem a little noisy.

I suppose one disadvantage is that the HDMI cable is transmitting video as well. This might explain the noise (really not sure, just guessing here) and it also makes the Mac think it has an external display, which might not be what you want. Perhaps something like SwitchResX could be used to switch off the video signal.

Is anyone here using this connection method? Success? Or not? I'm wondering if I should spend the time to do an update to my tutorial.

skunark

Re: HDMI audio output to BDP-103/105
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2013, 07:36 am »
Sadly for HDMI, the video frame type and rate can influence the audio sampling rate as rides along on the video blanking periods.   The MBP might be required to convert the audio and the Oppo/AVR/TV might introduce jitter on the audio clock recovery especially if it's not a standard option.  I would not have expected any noise though, just slightly lower quality.    Does Oppo provide any additional screen resolution/rate sizes other than what a typical monitor would have?  I assume it's just forwarding the capabilities of the TV and behaving as a repeater.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2013, 08:43 am »
Sadly for HDMI, the video frame type and rate can influence the audio sampling rate as rides along on the video blanking periods.

Ah. I suppose that's why the audio cuts out when I change display resolution. I didn't realize they were interleaved that way.

In Audio Midi, the HDMI device shows up as an 8 channel 24/96 device.

Does Oppo provide any additional screen resolution/rate sizes other than what a typical monitor would have?

At the moment I am seeing the rMBP showing display resolution options on the external monitor/TV via the Oppo of 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and 1600x900. The display's native resolution is 1366x768 I think.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2013, 09:15 am »
I would not have expected any noise though

Maybe it's actually on the recording and I only notice it when the audio output unmutes. I'm not sure yet.

skunark

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2013, 01:26 am »
The HDMI specification provides a basic overview on how the audio is transferred, if interested, figure 5.2 in version 1.3 is a good high level picture.   As I lightly mentioned, the video frame rate is used to recover the audio clock for most designs, well at least all designs i've looked into, and this can impact jitter but also the amount of available audio data bandwidth.  A typical example for most TVs today display at 120Hz so a blu-ray that is 24fps will have each video frame sent 5 times, which provides more bandwidth to send the audio data.  It's likely same clock oscillator is used at 120Hz and 60Hz, but the jitter introduced at the clock recovery could be less if the frame rate is 60Hz, but now with half the data bandwidth.   With all the possible options, HDMI might not be the best option for us audiophiles. 

As with the noise, anything is possible, but since HDMI encodes every pixel and with HDCP enabled every pixel is also encrypted the audio data will arrive safely.  Which is why I would say it's unexpected to be noisy, but maybe of lower quality or less detail.   In the past I had a hdmi switch that did add video artifacts sometimes, the audio did sound have a few pops too, but i was so annoyed with the white squares on my screen, i didn't have time to be annoyed with the pops.    I quick reset of the hdmi switch did the trick.   

Jim

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2013, 06:42 am »
Thanks for the pointer, Jim. Looks like the 1.3 spec is a free download so I'll have a go at decoding it.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2013, 05:47 pm »
I connect the HDMI output of a Win7 laptop to an Oppo 103 and use Jriver to play back 5.1 PCM and DSD files.  Jriver transcodes the DSD files to 24/88 PCM for HDMI compatibility with the Oppo.

It works well and sounds good, but not as good as USB.  I still use USB into a Benchmark DAC to play stereo music files.  But at the moment, PC HDMI to the Oppo is the most cost effective way to play back hi-rez 5.1 music files from a music server.

Russ