Tempest phono stage gain: MM & MC. Numbers, please!

djbnh

:?:  :?:  :?: Can anyone please tell me the numerical gain (db) of the Tempest's phono stage for:

1) MM setting; and

2) MC setting?

FYI - this question seems to have been asked previously by a member named "Farmer" in Februrary 2003 @ http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1178.msg8916#8916&highlight=tempest+gain#8916, but there were never any numbers put up.    :roll:

Hi, Does anyboy know what is the gain (in db) of this preamplifier? I like to try a moving coil cartridge but I am not sure what type (low, medium, or hight output) I should use to match the Tempest. I could not find it in the user manual. My system is Strato, Tempest and MMF-5.

I also know in a past post that Klaus recommended not going below 0.2 mv for MC users, but his response did not provide the gain of MM and MC. See http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=4323.msg36635#36635&highlight=tempest+phono#36635.

In advance, thanks to anyone who can provide a definitive answer. (Also, it might be helpful to include the information on one of the Odyssey web sites/Tempest product page, and in future Tempest manuals. Just a suggestion.)

KarlDL

« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2004, 02:58 am »
Hi,

Measured data on my Tempest before it went back to Klaus for the "Extreme" upgrade:

MM gain = 33dB at 20Hz
MC gain = 49dB at 20Hz (includes MM stage)
Line gain = 13dB at 1kHz

MC/MM data appear to have been taken before the line stage, but my notes aren't definitive on this.  These data were taken with an older audio analyzer and may be subject to calibration errors.  My newer analyzer arrived after the Tempest left for Indy.

The theoretical (computed) gain for the line stage is 13.3dB.  I haven't computed that number for the phono stages, mostly because I haven't had the time (or curiousity) to input the schematic into nodal analysis software.  A "quickie", approximate analysis of the MM stage suggests that its gain cannot exceed 36dB, at the LF peak gain point.  1kHz gain is approximately 20dB worse, e.g., 16dB or so.

MC loading is primarily established by loading plugs that are inserted in one side of the paralleled input jacks.  Theoretical loading of the MC stage itself appears to be in the vicinity of 450 Ohms, but I've not measured it or done a nodal analysis.  The loading plugs are not used in the MM mode.

Being an EE and having the necessary test gear, I won't be able to resist the temptation to measure all the "vitals" on the "Extremized" unit when it returns from Indy.

djbnh

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2004, 04:01 am »
KarlDL,

Thank you very much for the response. The information will be helpful to me, and hopefully others.  :D

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2004, 03:46 pm »
Have no fear!   Klaus may have recommended not going below 0.2mV but my Tempest bought last year works VERY well with my Denon MC carts.  My DL-304 is rated at 0.2mV but the factory trace shows 0.18mV.  My other is a DL-103D at 0.28mV.   Obviously I'm a big Denon fan and both are absolutely fantastic with the Tempest.

--Bob

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2004, 10:20 pm »
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamnnnnnnnnnnn,  Karl.
Thanks a mill for the numbers.  
Anyway,  the loading #'s are actually on the web site for forever.
It's  47 K  /   and 70  Ohm / 150 pF.

It's interesting to poin out that the SL  integrated amps RG 10,  which are somewhat identical to the separate Stratos / tempest  not only got reference status in several main German magazines with 2 mgs the amps actually being the day to day working ref. unit for the editors,  but even more so,  the MC  stage of the SL  / Tempest received 100 % merit across the board,  while the Tempest actually received 105 - 100 %  merit,  o "over - eference",  making the SL  / Tempest one of the very best MM stages on the market today.

Late,

Klaus

djbnh

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2004, 04:54 pm »
I have NO problems with the Tempest being the reference standard in my system!  :mrgreen:

Christophe35

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2004, 08:54 pm »
Quote from: KarlDL
Hi,

Measured data on my Tempest before it went back to Klaus for the "Extreme" upgrade:

Hi KarlDK,

Can you give your impression on the difference between the tempest and the tempest etreme ?

Thanks for any information,
Christophe

KarlDL

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2004, 03:00 am »
Christophe,

Cannot do.  It has yet to return from Indy.  And my otolaryngologist put a tube in my left eardrum this morning, so I have no idea where my hearing will be in a week.  But probably different than before the Tempest went back for the Extreme mod, so comparison will be impossible.

I don't think that anyone can fairly compare any two components without hearing them at (or near) the same time.  Otherwise, it is all recollection, which is imperfect at best and, more likely, chaotic.

Update on the gain data:

My curiousity got the better of me and I ran a theoretical calculation of the Tempest's MC stage gain.  It's 20.6dB.  My measurement (16dB) was most likely erroneous, caused by a double-termination of my signal generator.

The MM stage theoretical gain is "under exploration".  I'm not sure that I got all of the RIAA equalization circuit parts values correct when I reverse-engineered the schematic a few months ago.

KarlDL

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2004, 03:17 am »
Tempest MM Gain Data Correction:

My first post stated the measured MM gain as 33dB at 20Hz.  That was incorrect (not to mention illogical ... why would I measure only at 20Hz?).

It is 33dB at 1kHz, verified by calculating the theoretical gain of the Tempest, which yields the same number.

As noted in the immediate previous post, the MC stage gain is just over 20dB.

Apologies for inconvenience to anyone.[/b]

djbnh

Getting Complicated Now
« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2004, 12:34 pm »
Now I'm wondering about some of these numbers, especially when Tempest users report no problems using an MC of 0.18mv output, and Klaus attesting to success using a 0.2mv cartridge.

There are a number of cartridge manufacturers who recommend how much gain a preamp should have to mate well with their respective cartridges. This is what prompted my original request for gain numbers. Benz Micro information is used below as an example of cartridge manufacturer recommended phono stage gain (from http://www.musicalsurroundings.com/ser2.html):

The Latest Advancements from Benz-Micro

New output levels - ideally match with today's best phono preamps. LOW OUTPUT .3mV @ 3.54 cm/sec- Ruby 2, Ref 2 Silver, L2, new Glider L2 are ideal with 60+dB gain phono stages such as the PP-1, the Phonomena, the Aesthetix Io, and most high-gain tube and solid-state phono stages.

MEDIUM OUTPUT .8mV @ 3.54 cm/sec- Ruby H, Woodbody M2, Glider M2 are ideal with 50+dB gain phono stages, typical of most tube phono stages such as the ARC PH3, CAT, and Conrad-Johnson.

HIGH OUTPUT 2.5mV @ 3.54 cm/sec- the Woodbody H2 and Glider H2 are ideal with moving magnet and 40+dB gain phono stages, typical of tube phono stages such as the Audible Illusions and Cary.

I compared the Benz Micro recommended gain figures in my illustration above, with what KarlDL posted, and note a wide difference between the purported Tempest figures and what Benz Micro recommends. KarlDL, if your figures are correct, Tempest users would be seemingly be unable to mate even the High Output cartridges with the Tempest. However, Tempest users seem to indicate non-issues with the Tempest's MC gain and low output MCs. Furthermore, I know my current MM works wonderfully with the Tempest's phono section. I need go no higher 10-11 o'clock to get some very nice SPLs; however, KarlDL's figures suggest the MM stage is 33dB at 1kHz. It seems that the Tempest phono stage gain figures should be significantly (at least another 20 db?) higher than what KarlDL measured/calculated.

So, what could be going on between Tempest owners' ears (pun intended), various cartridges, and KarlDL's measurements? Who's right, who's Tempest phono stage gain numbers will reign supreme (sorry, Iron Chef fans)???  :mrgreen:

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:09 am »
djbnh,

If you look through the old posts, my one concern before finalizing my Tempest order was the Phono section's ability to handle ultra low output MC carts.  Klaus replied that Rolf Gemein of Symphonic Line was using the Symphonic Line equivilient of the Tempest to drive his reference MC cart which was in the 0.2mV range.  That plus Klaus' no questions asked return policy ended my concerns.  

The proof was in the pudding, my Denon DL-304 and DL-103D are easily handled with fairly low volume pot settings to boot.  No strain, plenty of gain.  So regardless of what the numbers are my very low output MCs (both with factory tracings showing output levels, etc.)  work superbly with the Tempest.

So, being a tad redundant, regardless if the MC stage has a gain of 52dB or 65dB, it WORKS :)

--Bob

djbnh

« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:48 am »
Bob A,

I agree with your comments, and believe my last post supports that the Tempest will work well with the MC cartridges, including the low outputs. That being reemphasized, there's probably some residue from my undergrad and grad school degrees that craves quantifying the numbers, much like KarlDL's EE background perhaps has sent him on the search to quantify theoretical and actual Tempest gain numbers. Sometimes one just can't help wondering why things work, esp. items that work as well as the Tempest.

I thoroughly enjoy my Tempest (if you like, read the initial comment in my A-Gon system description, including kudos to the Tempest phono stage), scratch my head wondering why more persons don't own it, and continue to be thankful there are so many wonderful AudioCircle members willing to share their sentiments, information, and experiences in this and other areas. I note when I originally purchased my Tempest, the phono stages weren't my first priority. However, a burgeoning re-interest in vinyl (revitalized in part by my youngest daughter's persistent forays into the punk and rock sections of my LP collection) caused me to move up the ladder in TTs. Now I play at least as much vinyl as CDs, and am fortunate to have work colleagues and friends who are willing to donate some wonderful LPs to my ever increasing collection (some of my homebrew periodically makes it their way in lieu of a thank-you note!) Eventually I hope to upgrade the cartridge to an affordable low output MC that matches well in my system (must... not.... use.... term.... "synergy"....), which brings us back full circle to the genesis of this interesting thread.

Happy listening to all.

KarlDL

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2004, 04:49 am »
Measurements provide insight into what is heard - and why.  They're never a substitute for listening, which always must be the first and last evaluation technique.  

There's no conflict between the measured/calculated gain data I provided and the empirical experience cited.  As I will demonstrate below, they actually agree quite well.  But, in the end, ya gotta listen ... read on!

My data is for the Tempest's separate stages - MC, MM, and Line.  So the total gain for MM thru Line is (33+13)=46dB and MC thru Line is (20+33+13)=66dB.  These gain figures fit the Benz high- and low-output parameters cited in the prior post.  

Moreover, 30 to 40 dB is a verrrrry typical mid-band gain figure for MM phono preamps or stages, be they freestanding or integrated into the control preamp, as I've found during 35+ years of tinkering in the guts of audio gear, both as a hobbyist and professionally (broadcasting).  I'm contemplating several tube MM designs of my own that have around 35dB at mid-band  (add 20dB from a good transformer and the MC gain will be sufficient for most decent cartridges).

And, finally, the Stratos has higher gain than many power amps.  So it needs lower input levels to get you the desired sound level out of your speakers, hence lesser preceding gains work just fine, as long as you don't get into noise trouble.  I haven't measured my Stratos Extreme, so I won't cite any gain numbers until I do.

I use an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, with 0.5V output (that's 15-20dB less than the "typical" MM).  It performed well with the Tempest, which is much quieter than the Acurus P10 used before (and now, while the Tempest is in Indy).  

To consider the overall gain necessary analytically, one must start from desired sound level and work backwards, through speaker efficiency, power amp gain, and preamp stage gains.  Because of the substantial variations in the first two parameters from product-to-product, requirements for the latter are highly system-dependent.  Let's presume that one desires 100dB SPL at 1m from the speakers, with an efficiency of 87dB and power amp gain of 31dB.  The necessary preamp gain, for a 0.5mV MC cartridge, is approximately 45dB.  The maximum gain of the Tempest in MC mode is around 66dB, so 21dB of attenuation is required from the volume control, which achieves that near mid-rotation (12:00).  Hmm ... this result agrees with my experience and that cited in the prior post!

But, for MC cartridges, the most important performance parameter of the preamp is its noise floor.  Minimizing that is the primary challenge in designing phono preamp stages.  And the better examples available today are pretty close to the theoretical limit of what's possible.  The noise limitations of low-level preamplification is why I tend to prefer high-quality transformers for MC step-up (a bias that is, undoubtedly, a product of my age and experience with more noisy circuits during my formative years).  Their gain comes with no added noise penalty, if they're installed correctly.

Below 0.2V output with the Tempest?  Depends on your ears and listening environment, say I.  My hearing resolution is pretty good (well, it was before the left ear got tubed last week), but the overall sensitivity is not good and hasn't been for years (my ear surgeon has the residents studying under him examine my ears as examples of abnormality).  I would probably be reasonably pleased with the performance of lower output MC cartridges, for I would not perceive the effectively-raised noise floor because of my hearing limitations.  Someone without any hearing deficiency (e.g., my wife) would hear the noise and would not be happy.  And I'd have a hard time resisting the temptation to A/B compare with a transformer.

So, we've come full circle.  In the end, the ear is the largest variable, so listening must be the final means of determining how little MC output is tolerable.

Karl

djbnh

Thanks for the update
« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2004, 11:08 pm »
karl,

Just got back from a few days in Bangor (ME), ran my e-mail client, and saw and read your post. Thanks for the info/insights!