Best of the Best - RMAF 2013

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Best of the Best - RMAF 2013
« on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:35 am »
Both Jason and I agree:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120535.0

Congrats on an outstanding room this year!

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Re: Best of the Best - RMAF 2013
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2013, 11:57 am »
Great job Ryan!

ChrisVH

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.vhaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:06 pm »
Congratulations, Ryan! I thought the Nimbus were silly-good, and when price is considered... an outright steal.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:19 pm »
 :drool:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:54 pm »
Congratulations Ryan and Pete. Looks like you guys had a grand slam there.  :thankyou:
I'm proud to say I knew you when you were nobodys.   :P

I'll make it over soon to hear those monsters, and I'll bring Andy with me as you requested.
Rock on dudes!  :rock:

Bob

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2013, 03:26 pm »
Great job guys, I'd like to say I bought the Cirrus before they were cool...but they were crazy cool then too.  Now they just have a little bit of pedigree, great work guys, you have become a world class company.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2013, 03:39 pm »
Congrats! I was very impressed with your systems at RMAF.  :thumb:

seadogs1

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2013, 03:42 pm »
You Guys are the BESTEST!!!! And so are your speakers!!!!!!!!

LateApex

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2013, 05:03 pm »
Congrats guys!!

imassarano

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2013, 08:37 pm »
 :thumb:

csmgolf

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2013, 10:59 pm »
I heard nothing but good about your systems at RMAF. Having heard several of your speakers, I am not surprised in the least. Now I am really looking forward to receiving my pair of Arcus! Great job guys :thumb:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2013, 02:30 am »
Thanks to Pez and Tyson (yet again) for the best show coverage on the net, and for giving all us AC'ers a fair shake compared to the big boys! 

But how about announcing our dirty little secret from the show?  Starting about a month ago I would look at how much work we had to do and think "it's going to be a miracle if we get all this done on time".  Every day we'd finish up, see how far we came, and I'd think the same thing.  2 days before the show even it looked as though it was going to be a miracle if we made it with what we had planned.  I even contemplated running a few finger tips through the table saw so that I could get out of our room because of injury  :lol:  And believe me, it was more than just a passing thought.  We worked 16 hour days for over a month, Saturday and Sunday too. 

Our plan was to finish, get the truck packed on Tuesday and leave town early Wednesday morning.  Well, it went right down to the wire.  The Nimbus White wasn't running until Tuesday night and we give it about 30 minutes of listening.  The Joule White wasn't running until mid-day Wednesday, and it got literally 5 minutes before we packed it into the truck.  We took a pile of crossover parts with us and soldered the crossovers together on the floor at RMAF on Thursday night.  Jim Salk even came over to say hi Thursday and saw the crossover being hastily assembled. 

So that's the dirty secret, both designs were taken and shown at RMAF with NO voicing and only a couple minutes of listening before being hooked up and played for attendees. 

So now that we're home both speakers are being taken apart, and a proper voicing process will begin.  Essentially we'll act like the crossovers you heard at the show didn't happen, and start from scratch.  I have no doubt having gone through the voicing process many many times, that both designs will be significantly better in 2-3 weeks than they are now! 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2013, 02:39 am »
Isn't the crossover identical for every Nimbus though?  You just test each crossover to match the original specimen and then test them to make sure they match each other.  Am I missing something?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2013, 02:42 am »
Isn't the crossover identical for every Nimbus though?  You just test each crossover to match the original specimen and then test them to make sure they match each other.  Am I missing something?

This was the first pair of both the Nimbus White and Joule White, so this was our first time in developing crossovers for them.  Yes, after the design is finalized the crossovers will remain the same, but it has to be developed first. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2013, 02:44 am »
Thanks to Pez and Tyson (yet again) for the best show coverage on the net, and for giving all us AC'ers a fair shake compared to the big boys! 

But how about announcing our dirty little secret from the show?  Starting about a month ago I would look at how much work we had to do and think "it's going to be a miracle if we get all this done on time".  Every day we'd finish up, see how far we came, and I'd think the same thing.  2 days before the show even it looked as though it was going to be a miracle if we made it with what we had planned.  I even contemplated running a few finger tips through the table saw so that I could get out of our room because of injury  :lol:  And believe me, it was more than just a passing thought.  We worked 16 hour days for over a month, Saturday and Sunday too. 

Our plan was to finish, get the truck packed on Tuesday and leave town early Wednesday morning.  Well, it went right down to the wire.  The Nimbus White wasn't running until Tuesday night and we give it about 30 minutes of listening.  The Joule White wasn't running until mid-day Wednesday, and it got literally 5 minutes before we packed it into the truck.  We took a pile of crossover parts with us and soldered the crossovers together on the floor at RMAF on Thursday night.  Jim Salk even came over to say hi Thursday and saw the crossover being hastily assembled. 

So that's the dirty secret, both designs were taken and shown at RMAF with NO voicing and only a couple minutes of listening before being hooked up and played for attendees. 

So now that we're home both speakers are being taken apart, and a proper voicing process will begin.  Essentially we'll act like the crossovers you heard at the show didn't happen, and start from scratch.  I have no doubt having gone through the voicing process many many times, that both designs will be significantly better in 2-3 weeks than they are now! 

I can vouch for that^^^

I was at his home a few days before the show, and him and Pete were covered in saw dust sanding on the speakers. Ryan told me, "These are the speakers going to RMAF". I know I raised at least one eyebrow thinking he was crazy if he was going to take an empty, unsanded speaker carcass and turn it into a "show-stopper" a couple days later. I have no doubt there's a couple show attendees that walked away from touching the speakers with some wet paint on their fingers. I think Ryan must have turned the box truck he drove to Colorado into a moving paint booth.

Well done dude. You bring pride to JeffCo.  :wink:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2013, 04:41 am »
I can vouch for that^^^

I was at his home a few days before the show, and him and Pete were covered in saw dust sanding on the speakers. Ryan told me, "These are the speakers going to RMAF". I know I raised at least one eyebrow thinking he was crazy if he was going to take an empty, unsanded speaker carcass and turn it into a "show-stopper" a couple days later. I have no doubt there's a couple show attendees that walked away from touching the speakers with some wet paint on their fingers. I think Ryan must have turned the box truck he drove to Colorado into a moving paint booth.

Well, the paint was cured although I was worried about them making the room smell like solvent.  No problem there either.  The only thing that didn't get finished properly was the base on the Nimbus, we had to slap some 3M Di-Noc vinyl on them at the show ... but I forgot my heat gun, so they were all wrinkly, which you can see in some of the pictures. 

Looking back, I still think it's miraculous that we get it all together!

Well done dude. You bring pride to JeffCo.  :wink:

Don't you mean MethCo? 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2013, 12:53 pm »
 :lol:  Indeed.  :smoke:

LateApex

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2013, 02:39 pm »
Ryan, is that what they call Kaizen-kanban manufacturing?!  ("just in time" manufacturing)

Great story and an awesome result.

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2013, 04:42 pm »
I think Ryan must have turned the box truck he drove to Colorado into a moving paint booth.

In the trade we call that finish "Blow and Go".

Great reporting everyone! I couldn't make it this year but next year for sure.

Wayne