« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:47 pm »
Congratulations, Danny! :thumb:

RUR

Re: GR Research - Best in Show - RMAF 2013
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2013, 02:15 pm »
Congrats on a GREAT room this year:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120535.msg1267553#msg1267553
Whose diffusors were used in the room?

Wish I could have been there this year to hear these....

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2013, 03:33 pm »
What am I doing wrong?   :scratch:  I visit the GR website and all I see are kits.

Jon Liu

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2013, 03:36 pm »
GR Research provides kit's solely.  There are cabinet makers available on this forum, but it's largely DIY.

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2013, 03:50 pm »
Thanks Jon.  I knew they were kit oriented but I did not know they were kits only.  I saw the big mother in the picture and somehow kit did not come to mind.

GR Research provides kit's solely.  There are cabinet makers available on this forum, but it's largely DIY.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2013, 03:54 pm »
The LS-X speakers are from Mockingbird Distribution.  GR-Research designed them.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2013, 05:22 pm by HAL »

Don_S

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2013, 04:00 pm »
Thanks Hal.

The LS-X speakers are from Mockingbird Audio.  GR-Research designed them.

rockadanny

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2013, 07:22 pm »
(edited out)
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2013, 10:56 am by rockadanny »

mobileholmes

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2013, 11:38 pm »
Hello,

I'm Phillip, the guy at Mockingbird Distribution.  This is my first post on AC.  I usually don't have much time for socializing, but I'm not antisocial (just busy). 

It was my first show and the weeks leading up were some of the most stressful I've endured.  Danny deserves 100% of the credit for the sound (well, there were other people, but it was Danny's room, so he gets the credit).  I tagged along with my turntables and accessories.  We managed to get an "impressive" from Valin partially because we had a turntable in the room to play a white label promo from Chad Kassem at Acoustic Sounds.  The new reissues being pressed at Acoustic Sounds are amazing. 

Anyway, the link to the website is to one that was used to build and work on the website.  The "real" website is at www.mockingbirddistribution.com

I'm not sure about the availability of regular production speakers.  It's expensive to build even a single example of that speaker system.  Building several, as would be required, gets astronomically expensive (exotic car money).

The prototypes are amazing, as good as anything I've heard.  They combine incredible power with transparency (usually you trade one for the other).  As much as I would love to keep them, they must sell to fund other projects and keep the bills paid.  They are in the garage, waiting to find a good home.  As the economy kind of sucks, this might be your best opportunity to get them.  Even if they were offered as a kit, we'd have to purchase many, many, many woofers.   Many.

Anyway, thanks to Danny and company (especially Kristy---it's good to have a mother around to pick up after the kids) for the encouragement, help and fellowship.  It was instructive and rewarding.

Regards,
Phillip Holmes

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2013, 03:57 am »
 :icon_lol:  If they could have only heard the system after the tweaks and gains we made Friday night.  They would have really flipped out.  :D

Thanks guys!

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2013, 04:22 am »
:icon_lol:  If they could have only heard the system after the tweaks and gains we made Friday night.  They would have really flipped out.  :D

Thanks guys!

Did they  even get back to hear it with the  big blue beasts ?  I think I read that when they  heard it on Friday  you  were having an issue  and  were  having to drive the speakers with the "little" Dodds
Whatever the case, looks  like they made a  big impression    :thumb:

-jay

Mike B.

« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2013, 05:15 pm »
Congratulations on winning the TP award

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2013, 10:38 pm »
Hey Danny,
Thanks for letting me be a part of your room again at RMAF! Between you (GR Research), Gary (Dodd Audio), Dave (P.I. Audio) & Eric (dB Audio Labs), we make great music together!

Congratulations on making The Absolute Sound's (Steven Stone) Best Sound (cost no object) in the Show!

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/rmaf-2013-digital-products-show-report/

Best Sound (cost no object) – The best sound I heard at the show was from a live concert sponsored by Ray Kimber and Kimber Kable that featured Jan-Ya Ling on piano and the Formosan Duo of Dr. Shi-Haa Wang and Dr. Yu-Jane Yang. The sound from the second floor balcony was glorious.

The best reproduced sound I heard was in the GR Research/ DB Audio/ Dodd/ Pi Audio/ Triode Wire Labs room. The new Mockingbird Audio LSX line array speakers ($39,000US) driven by Dodd Audio’s 34-watt EL-84 monoblock amplifiers ($3,100US) provided a pristine listening window for the dB Labs Evolution 192/32 DAC ($2395US) and dB Audio Revolution media server ($1995US). Triode Wire Labs provided the cabling and Pi Audio Uber Buss ($1095US) and Battery Buss ($499) cleaned up the AC power. The results were magical. 

Cool!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Pete

mobileholmes

« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2013, 11:08 pm »
Pete,

Thanks for posting that link.  I'll have to admit I've been a "digital sucks" analog guy for 30 years, but not anymore.  The system was so revealing, if there was a problem with Eric's digital setup, it would've been blatantly obvious.  Now, it's comparing strengths to strengths.  That says a lot for every part (cables, amplification, etc..), not just Eric's digital.  I don't recall a system with that much range and power, combined with that kind of resolution.  It was amazing to hear the system gel, too.  It was an enlightening experience.  Too bad we broke the big amps.

Regards,
Phillip

Hey Danny,
Thanks for letting me be a part of your room again at RMAF! Between you (GR Research), Gary (Dodd Audio), Dave (P.I. Audio) & Eric (dB Audio Labs), we make great music together!

Congratulations on making The Absolute Sound's (Steven Stone) Best Sound (cost no object) in the Show!

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/rmaf-2013-digital-products-show-report/

Best Sound (cost no object) – The best sound I heard at the show was from a live concert sponsored by Ray Kimber and Kimber Kable that featured Jan-Ya Ling on piano and the Formosan Duo of Dr. Shi-Haa Wang and Dr. Yu-Jane Yang. The sound from the second floor balcony was glorious.

The best reproduced sound I heard was in the GR Research/ DB Audio/ Dodd/ Pi Audio/ Triode Wire Labs room. The new Mockingbird Audio LSX line array speakers ($39,000US) driven by Dodd Audio’s 34-watt EL-84 monoblock amplifiers ($3,100US) provided a pristine listening window for the dB Labs Evolution 192/32 DAC ($2395US) and dB Audio Revolution media server ($1995US). Triode Wire Labs provided the cabling and Pi Audio Uber Buss ($1095US) and Battery Buss ($499) cleaned up the AC power. The results were magical. 

Cool!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Pete

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 19 Oct 2013, 03:18 am »
We dun gud, guys.... and Christy.

Wish I could have been there.

Philip,  when digital comes from a server that has been tweeked to the max by someone that knows what he is doing and fed through a DAC that knows what to do with the bits, digital audio gets really, really good.  Oh, yeah... Redbook digital done right.  We don't need no steenkin' Hi-Rez... but we can do that too, heh, heh.  8)  The Revolutionary Evolution (or the Evolutionary Revolution?) has just begun... WOOHOO!!!!!

See you next year.

Dave, out

Skiman

« Reply #17 on: 23 Oct 2013, 11:30 pm »
GR room brief review by Jason Victor Serinus:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/warmth-gr-research-dodd-audio

Lovely, warm and delicate sound, unmistakable tube bloom, and fantastic percussive impact distinguished my brief time in this room