Bryston 2B-LP Pro: How to turn it on?

streetcore

Bryston 2B-LP Pro: How to turn it on?
« on: 14 Oct 2013, 11:16 pm »
This probably seems like a stupid question, but I bought a used Bryston 2B-LP Pro today and I'm wondering what the best way is to turn it on and off? There's no power switch on the front panel and the Remote/Local Control switch on the back is going to be hard to reach when the amp is in my rack.

Unfortunately, my current preamp doesn't have a 12 volt trigger, so that's not an option right now. I also don't like to leave my gear on all the time and I've read that Bryston amps should not be plugged into power strips.

Is there any other way to switch this amp on and off without reaching around the back and fumbling for the Remote/Local switch? What about a remote control outlet like the one at the link below? Is it okay to plug the amp into something like that?

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-RS-211-Switch-Wireless-Remote/dp/B0000ERN8H

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Thanks.

brucek

Re: Bryston 2B-LP Pro: How to turn it on?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:10 am »
I think you'd be limiting the current available to the 2B-LP if you plugged into that device. It indicates a max of 10 amps.

I think it would be better to perhaps use that device and plug a simple 12 volt wall wart power supply into it, then use the 12 volts to trigger the amp.

brucek

streetcore

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2013, 02:19 am »
I think it would be better to perhaps use that device and plug a simple 12 volt wall wart power supply into it, then use the 12 volts to trigger the amp.

brucek

I wondered if that would work, but the manual for the 2B-LP says the trigger voltage should be 12V and 5mA. I have a few wall warts here and they range from a few hundred milliamps to about 2 amps. Would it be harmful to use a power supply with a higher current rating than 5mA, or does a higher rating just mean it can provide more current if needed?

Thanks.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2013, 02:42 am »
Would it be harmful to use a power supply with a higher current rating than 5mA, or does a higher rating just mean it can provide more current if needed?

The trigger relay circuit resistance will determine the current draw, so yes, you should be fine with a larger capacity supply.  The smallest 12VDC wall wart power supply I have ever seen is 100mA.

Depending on the design, a larger capacity supply will dissipate a little bit more wasted energy than a smaller one given the same small load or no load, so the smaller the better in that regard.

Steve

streetcore

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2013, 06:00 pm »
I'd like to eventually pickup a pair of these for bi-amping, so I would I be able to turn two amps on with one wall wart? Would I need to split the line so the current is going to both amps simultaneously, or would I run the wall wart to one amp and then use a jumper to the other amp?

I've also seen older versions of the 2B-LP Pro with a captive power cord and no Remote/Local switch. Were they designed to be on all the time?

Thanks again for the advice.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2013, 07:00 pm »
Electrically it would be the same.  I would let my wiring method be dictated by the physical placement of the amps.  If the amps are located next to left and right speakers with the 12VDC source in the middle I would run two wires from the transformer.  If the amps are together I would jumper between them.  It really doesn't matter too much, it would be more a decision based on cleaner wiring.

The amps were intended for rack mounting, so they were either left powered on or controlled by a power center in the rack.

Steve

streetcore

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2013, 11:18 pm »
Hi guys,

I have a line on a second 2B-LP Pro, but it is an older version with a captive power cord and no 12V trigger. It was serviced in 2007 because it was "making noise" and the invoice says "typical for this era in bridged... changed filters... 6800uf x4".

I would be using them in bridged mono for now and eventually for biamping when I find an appropriate active crossover. Would there be any concerns using an older version with a newer one? They both have XLR inputs.

Thanks again for all the advice.

sfraser

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2013, 02:58 pm »
You might want to contact Bryston service dept. They may be able to change the front panel and some internals to provide you with a front power switch. I have 2 x 2B-LP's and both have power switch's up front. I am assuming one is a Pro model because it also has gain POT's as well.

Cheers,

Scott

streetcore

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2013, 02:31 pm »
You might want to contact Bryston service dept. They may be able to change the front panel and some internals to provide you with a front power switch. I have 2 x 2B-LP's and both have power switch's up front. I am assuming one is a Pro model because it also has gain POT's as well.

Interesting... There must be many different versions of this amp, because I keep hearing about new variations.

I doubt it would be cost effective to remove the headphone jacks and replace them with power switches, and I've decided to use a power bar for now. 

Cheers.