class D in the near future

spinner

class D in the near future
« on: 13 Oct 2013, 03:01 am »
  I see more and more about Digital amps.  James is the next generation of Bryston amps going this way? :?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: class D in the near future
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2013, 03:25 am »
  I see more and more about Digital amps.  James is the next generation of Bryston amps going this way? :?

Definitely not.

james

cab

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2013, 03:35 am »

See this link:

http://www.stereophile.com/ces2008/011008bryston/

CES 2008
Bryston Goes Class-D
By Larry Greenhill • Posted: Jan 10, 2008

Seems they already have.....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2013, 04:12 am »
Hi

Strictly for Zone applications. not serious Hi-Fi. :thumb:

It was a good exercise though - taught us a lot about D series designs.

james

cab

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2013, 12:27 pm »
Hi

Strictly for Zone applications. not serious Hi-Fi. :thumb:

It was a good exercise though - taught us a lot about D series designs.

james

Not enough to design your own apparently.....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2013, 12:30 pm »
Not enough to design your own apparently.....

Hi

We thought the Hypex was a terrific design and the best out there but still feel Linear Analog amplifiers are still the best option for us.

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2013, 04:26 pm »
  What is the major drawback of D amps not being good hi-fi ?. Pardon my ignorance on this.

cab

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2013, 04:34 pm »
Maybe not the best place to ask that question.....

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2013, 04:38 pm »
  Yes but one that needs an answer. :P

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2013, 04:55 pm »
  What is the major drawback of D amps not being good hi-fi ?. Pardon my ignorance on this.

Yes I think I will stay out of that one. :thumb:

Each and every design has its plus and minus's and it is up to each company I think to decide what is best for them and their customers - and ultimately the customer decides what is best for him or her  :thumb:

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2013, 03:46 am »
Well put James. Opinions aren't facts. :)

spinner

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2013, 10:12 am »
  I like my Bryston amps  but I would like to know what are the drawbacks of digital designs. I would think that noise would be a major issue if they are "switching" amps. Thanks.... :dunno:

cab

« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2013, 12:40 pm »
Why not try a google search? There have been volumes written about class d amps. Just be critical in what you read as there is a lot of bs, bias, and misstatement of fact out there, like everything else. Audio comes down to personal preference ultimately so go listen to some class d and come to your own (informed) conclusions.

DS-21

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2013, 10:19 pm »

Generally, output impedance, aka source impedance. Most class D amp have output filters that raise the output impedance enough to interact with the frequency response of typical loudspeakers, and cause FR anamolies.

Tubes have the same issue, which is one reason why many tube-heads have become Class D enthusiasts, and why many of the fetishized Class D amps are, objectively speaking, low fidelity devices.

The Hypex modules are an exception to the rule, maintaining flat FR into most speaker loads with noise performance only bettered by the most refined Class AB designs. The latest Icepower designs are also better, but still not quite there.

I suspect the main reason firms such as Bryston don't widely adopt such things is because they don't want to be dependent on someone else's IP for their mainstream products. Bryston's standard product is of a highly evolved, high performance, and reliable design. The efficiency gains from Class D (and lower heat output) compared to well-optimized Class AB are also arguably less important in home audio than they are in, say, cellphones/car audio/whole house audio.

spinner

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2013, 11:30 pm »
Generally, output impedance, aka source impedance. Most class D amp have output filters that raise the output impedance enough to interact with the frequency response of typical loudspeakers, and cause FR anamolies.

Tubes have the same issue, which is one reason why many tube-heads have become Class D enthusiasts, and why many of the fetishized Class D amps are, objectively speaking, low fidelity devices.

The Hypex modules are an exception to the rule, maintaining flat FR into most speaker loads with noise performance only bettered by the most refined Class AB designs. The latest Icepower designs are also better, but still not quite there.
Thankyou for that very comprehensive  explanation . I can understand from this why Bryston will just keep up the great work they have always done. :thumb:
I suspect the main reason firms such as Bryston don't widely adopt such things is because they don't want to be dependent on someone else's IP for their mainstream products. Bryston's standard product is of a highly evolved, high performance, and reliable design. The efficiency gains from Class D (and lower heat output) compared to well-optimized Class AB are also arguably less important in home audio than they are in, say, cellphones/car audio/whole house audio.

scb

« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2013, 01:52 pm »
class d is not digital

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2013, 02:22 pm »
class d is not digital

That's is correct and many people do not understand the distinction.

james