Favorite CD of the year so far

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« on: 31 Jul 2004, 01:52 pm »
Hi Guys,

Just had to write about this one. Although it is 18 tracks and the last four are nothing special the first 14 tracks are absolutely killer songs.
I could only pick this up at Amazon.com at $30 as it is a German import from BMG. Who pays that for a cd? I had the pleasure of hearing this before I purchased so bar none well worth the price of admission.

Vaya Con Dios    "What's A Women "   The Blue Sides of Vaya Con Dios.

Here is the guarantee. If you don't like it I will buy it from you at $15.  :D

R_burke

This year???
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2004, 02:55 pm »
Perhaps for your ears, but this was released in 1998.

It's readily available at towerrecords.com for $19.99

As for best CD of the year so far I nominate Dr. John - N'Awlinz, Di, Dat...

It transports you to New Orleans, gets you drunk, fills your tummy with gumbo and makes you want to get laid all at once

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2004, 03:36 pm »
Thanks for the heads up at Tower records. I did realize it was a 1998 recording but this was the first I heard of them about a month ago.
 I will definetly check out the Dr John release

R_burke

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2004, 04:07 pm »
I went to Tower hoping to hear them, but no samples available.  

What kind of music is this?  I read that it was gypsy pop, not sure what that means.  

Please compare to a few things I might know or be able to hear somewhere.

I'm always on the lookout for something new

rwb

meilankev

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2004, 04:15 pm »
Bill,

Is this available on vinyl??  I don't buy many CDs.

FWIW, the best "new" disc I've heard this year is John Coltrane's "Ballads".

Thanks,
Kevin

Jon L

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2004, 04:53 pm »
Rachael Yamagata "EP" and
Rachael Yamagata "Happenstance"

I can't put these CD's down.  There are some "misses," but the songs that work really WORK!

R_burke

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2004, 05:10 pm »
I just listened to a couple of samples of happenstance (Yamagata) and I agree that it is really good, still not my favorite of the year but I will adding it to my want list

Sa-dono

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2004, 11:37 pm »
Quote from: Jon L

I can't put these CD's down.  There are some "misses," but the songs that work really WORK!

Cool Jon! I have been trying to get the word out about her. It's good to see another fan. I have a live recording of her, that is pretty sweet as well. 8)

I would probably nominate Happenstance or one of the BluePort albums, as far as US albums.

Jon L

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2004, 04:35 pm »
Quote from: Sa-dono
Quote from: Jon L

Cool Jon! I have been trying to get the word out about her. It's good to see another fan. I have a live recording of her, that is pretty sweet as well. 8)

I would probably nominate Happenstance or one of the BluePort albums, as far as US albums.

Yeah, her "tortured" songs actually sound tortured despite her young age.

Where did you buy the "live" album?

Also, have you noticed any sound distortions on last 2 songs (1 "hidden" track) of the EP?

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2004, 02:28 pm »
Hi RWB & Kevin,

Vaya Con Dios has a great bluesy/Jazz feel to it. The muted horns on two of the tracks reminds me of maybe somebody playing right before the Alamo was attacked or even afterwards. Kind of a sad muted trumpet. On 2 other tracks the drum also sound like a roll from the death march before the fight. Very intoxicating.
The lead female singer Dani Klein has some of the best pipes and should be ranked up there with some of the best.
  A friend lent me this album and I forgot about it for a few weeks and put it on not really thinking about critically listening and went about my business and after a few tracks honestly forgot who I put on the cd player and it was one of those. WHO'S THIS?  I've been listening to this now for at least a month so much so the little woman asked me if I'm obsessed.
 This music while laying on the couch listening will not only have your toes tapping but your whole bottom half. It just has a great rythm to it that is addicting.
 Great harmonica player , drums are very dynamic without interfering as I think there are some tympanies as the bottom end is percussive and low, piano has that jamming play that wishes you would have taking up piano as a child so you could do that. Flamanco guitar along with electric and bass ,Last but not least the Hammond B3 which plays throughout the cd adding the quality of what I consider a must for any band as its richness envelopes the music that I crave.
 I don't believe this was ever printed to vinyl but if its out there I will find it. I will pick up as many copies as I can get my hands on.

Needless to say brought my copy to work this morning and guess what playing.  :D

PJ

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2004, 01:39 am »
James Holden - Balance 005.

It's progressive trance/house.

Edit: This was actually 2003, but I only bought it this year :)