Massiv audio rack

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Massiv audio rack
« on: 8 Oct 2013, 08:00 pm »
I have a complicated system and I needed more rack space.  I also run turn tables and the top shelf had to be stable.

Introducing the Massiv in my sytem.  I drove out 5 hours to Ohio and Klaus drove in 5 hours for me to take delivery of the rack.   I wasn't ready to foot the freight charge.  It is indeed massive and stable.  So far so good.  Everything sounds great.

I will take close ups later and post.  I priced the furniture market and Klaus' price is very competitive.  There is nothing out there this hefty. :thumb:

this_is_vv

Re: Massiv audio rack
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2013, 10:29 pm »
curious about pricing of this....

V

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2013, 11:43 pm »
curious about pricing of this....

V

I believe Klaus talks about it here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCdBFwG4a7Q   From memory (could be wrong), they start around the $2k mark give or take (depends on the configuration and amount of aluminum, wood veneer, etc., which you pick out).  Mine is in process as well. Ran into Woodsyi at the Capital Audiofest and found out about it.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2013, 11:51 pm »
Apologies for my poor drafting skills.  Just to show a different configuration and how one can customize it to their own needs/specs

Mine will look something like the below as it will be part of integrated A/V system with a spot for the center channel in the middle top.  On each side the opening between the aluminum posts will be about 19 inches and above double that in the middle.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2013, 11:52 pm »
This is the configuration Klaus brought to the Capital Audiofest

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2013, 11:57 pm »
Rim, PS the rack looks great.  Makes the system look a whole lot nicer w/o the different racks

this_is_vv

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2013, 12:26 am »
Apologies for my poor drafting skills.  Just to show a different configuration and how one can customize it to their own needs/specs

Mine will look something like the below as it will be part of integrated A/V system with a spot for the center channel in the middle top.  On each side the opening between the aluminum posts will be about 19 inches and above double that in the middle.

i think i need to contact him....i need something...problem i dont know what i will buy later.,....things just keep on adding...

V

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2013, 12:30 am »
i think i need to contact him....i need something...problem i dont know what i will buy later.,....things just keep on adding...

V

My rack is at the stage where the aluminum tubing mat'l has just arrived but is not cut yet.  I'd imagine in a month or so I'll be picking veneers.  I'm also getting 2 pair of speaker stands (for side and back surrounds) with the same veneer on the front.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2013, 12:32 am »
The speaker stands will have this type of design - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114220.0

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2013, 12:46 am »
I do understand about adding things.  I actually had talked to another vendor many months back and am moving to a new place in about 4 months and had my screen and height channels mounted.  In early to mid July I made multiple calls to and sent multiple e-mails to the other vendor and spoke to him twice.  Was looking to have the thing delivered by Labor Day week so I could put it together and leave it in place underneath the screen in the new place (pic below).  But I received no return phone call or e-mail and then ran into Woodsyi at the Capital Audiofest.  Klaus' rack in my opinion is built just as well as what I was looking at, looks a whole lot better and since I have multiple systems I just planned what I'll put where.  Due to the impending move, my main system has been 2-channel only since April (and I have Salamander Synergy stuff in there with lots of components now and that will go in a spare system - pic before I took the main system apart below) and I have come to like a little simpler.  With the old furniture in a spare system and a few other systems, I'll have plenty of space to put things.  Klaus is great to work with and a great sales person.  Did not want to buy more equipment before the move, but I ended up with the Candela preamp he brought to the Capital Audiofest.  Have put Synergy HiFi tubes in it and may use it in the spare system where the old furniture is going and my be talking to him after the move about an amp as the preamp is really awesome vs. what one can buy at retail even for double its cost.

New place

Main system before I moved the screen down to the new place

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2013, 04:46 pm »
Nice manly man racks they are!  I may have to consider one when I install my turntable.

/mp

« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2013, 08:59 pm »

Nice assemblage of stuff woodsyi. Wandering off topic but how do you find the SG400 matches with the RM40?

/mp

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2014, 07:59 pm »
Finally got my rack and have it together

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2014, 01:07 am »
Very nice.  I like both of them.   I've been thinking racks lately, but I am still using my 80/20 homemade ones that I like enough.   But I am running out of space as well.  Holy cow, woodsyi, can you fit another piece in there? 

Mine is not far off.  Actually if you account for all the gear I have that I am not using full time at the moment it is worse than that. 

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2014, 01:44 am »
I am actually going to simplify the main system when I'm done.  In my old house I had the below furniture, which is now in a spare bedroom system.  I had the screen above the 40 inch Salamander Synergy towers in the old place and it was just a bit too high up to my liking.  So when I moved the screen down, I decided I wanted it at a height where your head will be above the bottom of the screen.  Stuff that I don't use often is now in that spare bedroom (pic below) like a LD Player, RF Demodulator, Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator, etc.

Old furniture in the new place

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2014, 09:10 pm »
Phil did a great job....put together in real life it is truly imposing and very, very sophisticated........

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jun 2014, 10:34 pm »
woodsyi, rack looks great and you do indeed have loaded it up!!

Phil A, the rack under your screen looks great also! Post a pick if you will when you get settled in and have everything setup.
I was considering buying a cushioned laser bench but it would make my room look like a lab. Next thing you know I would probably have a couple of grad students camping out :o

Some nice work there Klaus! :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jun 2014, 12:48 am »
Still a work in process.  Busy catching up on some computer audio stuff before I stick the music server and two hard drives behind the center channel.  That may take a couple of weeks until I get it in some sort of order (have more stuff to do but that will wait as the main system came apart about 7 months ago for a move and I want it back together.  Will look better when I finish it (may have to make a couple of cables too).

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2014, 12:54 am »
It's tough finding something where you can have a screen at a good height and also have something that is functional to house (real) components to listen to music.  I'm still working on 3 of the secondary systems too.  I actually simplified the main system and am leaving some of the stuff I had in there before out that I rarely use like a LD player (have a couple but have not played one in a few years).

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2014, 01:00 am »
Forgot to mention the great speaker stands that Klaus did too