6DJ8..recomendations..

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
6DJ8..recomendations..
« on: 8 Oct 2013, 03:19 pm »
Anyone use tubes from the "6DJ8" family....?

Got any you would recommend...?

I am using PSB Stratus Gold I's speakers and they have plenty of bottom end punch.

I would like to find a tube that would bring out more of the mid's/high's, if possible....

Thanks....

Ericus Rex

Re: 6DJ8..recomendations..
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2013, 03:40 pm »
What are you using now?

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2013, 04:53 pm »

strateahed

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2013, 04:54 pm »
I really like Amperex Orange Globe ... great all round tube IMHO. Check out comments regarding these on Joe's Tube Lore over at the Asylum.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2013, 05:22 pm »
I like Telefunken ECC88 -- top notch highs and great overall sound.  Price is fairly high but not crazy like the Cca version. 

Whatever you get, pay a little more and get from reputable source.  You wouldn't believe the variation on mutual conductance and emission even though everyone writes specs on the tube or the box.  I broke down and got my own Amplitrex to test everything I get.

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2013, 05:34 pm »
I really like the Mullard CV2492.

WireNut

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2013, 07:00 pm »

I really like Amperex Orange Globe ... great all round tube IMHO. Check out comments regarding these on Joe's Tube Lore over at the Asylum.

strateahed,

Thanks for that. Here's the link.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

ASMAN

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2013, 08:20 pm »
I went from standard EH 6922 to JJ gold pin 6922. Reasonable cost. Great improvement.
I then went to NOS Sylvania 7308 and love them.

Austin08

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2013, 09:10 pm »
I would go for Mullard ec188/7308 for mellower sound and Amperex 7308 PQ white lable for more neutral.

steve k

« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2013, 09:40 pm »
I had the best luck with the Amperex PQ's when I used 6922's. Very open, clear, bell like sound.
Steve

jules

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2013, 09:49 pm »
Personal favourites are Telefunken and Siemens-Halske, followed closely by the Orange Globes at much more reasonable prices. Amperex are generally more mellow [IMHO] than Telefunken and Siemens. I've got a well used set of Amperex D getter bugle boys that definitely have something special going for them but strictly speaking it's warmth rather than accuracy. In a very broad sense the Amperex family [and mullards] are more mellow than the Siemens and Telefunken tubes.

I'm not confident that you will find something that can "bring out more of the mids and highs". This sounds like you might need to look at some other part of your system if I'm understanding what you're saying.

The least successful tube of many I've tried was one of the best looking ... Valvo E88CC, gold pin, Heerland Holland have a great paint job, apparently good internal design but sound horrible in various ways.

Jules

*Scotty*

« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2013, 10:46 pm »
You should probably look at Sovtek 6DJ8s. They are very reasonably priced and would cost very little to add to your tube rolling arsenal.
Scotty

jhm731

« Reply #12 on: 8 Oct 2013, 11:08 pm »
Here's a great tube supplier:

http://www.mcshanedesign.net/tubes.htm

tomytoons

« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2013, 11:21 pm »
I'm using Amperex, Orange 6DJ8 Herleen "A" frame dimple getter.
Excellent tube in my amp.
You must try some of the recommendations because they vary in sound in different circuits.

What equipment are you going to use them in? Preamp?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #14 on: 8 Oct 2013, 11:24 pm »
I'm not confident that you will find something that can "bring out more of the mids and highs". This sounds like you might need to look at some other part of your system if I'm understanding what you're saying.

There's good advice here.  Current production tubes usually are thinner and screechier sounding than their NOS counterparts.  In your system, that would probably translate to a darker and thicker sound.  Not the direction you wanted to go in, if I read your post correctly.

Before you shell out some major bucks on NOS Euro gold I'd get some well matched USA tubes to try first.  You should be able to find a well tested and matched pair for $40 or so...just a little more than current production.  I would highly recommend TC tubes (www.tctubes.com) as they test and match their tubes using the Amplitrex 2000 meter; the best tester ever made.  They aren't currently showing any US pairs but send them an email and see if they just haven't updated the site.  US singles start at $14 each.

A reputable tube dealer would also have some recommendations based on your preferences.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #15 on: 9 Oct 2013, 01:02 am »
tomytoons,

I am using a Dodd Audio Integrated amp. It has a Dodd Audio preamp with a 6DJ8 tube..

Sounds very good and it is very quite... quietest amp I have ever heard..

(I have some tubes I could roll and I might be able to find something out there that would be useful..)

Steve

« Reply #16 on: 9 Oct 2013, 03:42 am »
Might give Genalex E88cc a try. Excellent tube, low noise, reasonably priced, and plentiful.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2013, 01:02 pm by Steve »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 9 Oct 2013, 08:02 pm »

rbwalt

« Reply #18 on: 9 Oct 2013, 10:38 pm »
try the pre war yugo 6dj8 tubes. they stay quiet the longest. go to ram labs/ music reference for tubes. no one grades and matches tubes better than roger.

tomytoons

« Reply #19 on: 9 Oct 2013, 10:56 pm »
Bladesmith lots of good suggestions.
Another way would be to borrow a bunch of different tubes.
Also anyone else here using this equipment should say what they are using.
Any suggestions from Dodd Audio?
All this would help.