Eric's Pepperwood Burl SoundScape 8 HT system

ericmj

Re: Eric's Pepperwood Burl SoundScape 8 HT system
« Reply #20 on: 13 Dec 2013, 10:45 pm »
Eric, If you have some time, I'd be curious to hear your listening impressions of your new Soundscapes. :)

I'm not by any means an audio reviewer so sorry about this terrible description.  I've had quite some time to listen to my new system for a some time now and I think it continues to get better as things get broken in. 

I will start off by saying that this is the best sounding system I have ever heard for under 200K.   I've heard a wilson system that was over 300K and it sounded pretty good and perhaps better but I'll keep the extra money and stick my Salks.  This opinion might be influenced because they are mine but I have a friend who's family has been in high end audio distribution for over 30 years and he said that my setup is the best sound system he has ever heard.  I feel bad because he is now not very happy with his setup anymore.  He gets huge discounts on all the big box companies but I think he wants Salks now and doesn't get any discounts.

Like many others have said before, I'm now listening to music more than anything and it seems like I'm buying new music everyday.  Now I usually also prefer 2 channel over the multi channel tracks.  I did start feeding the SS8's the entire load and they do very well this.  I'm powering them with an Emotiva xpa-2 (300w/ch).   I've found that at louder volumes, I will start to overheat the amp.   I love the tight bass and response of the SS8's but I grew tired of having to give the amp a break.  Now I'm crossing them over at 80Hz and sending the rest to the subs.  This is not because the SS8's didn't play low or loud, it's because the amp couldn't put out enough power for more than 30 minutes without overheating.   Fortunately the Rythmiks are also very responsive and smooth.   They are not quite as tight as the SS8's but they obviously go lower and have more impact.  Ideally I would get a much more powerful 2 channel amp or mono blocks and use the SS8's for stereo by themselves.   At lower than reference levels, I use the SS8's alone and love it. 

The soundstage is huge as well as the depth.   These speakers reproduce the sound very accurately and effortlessly.  Close your eyes on a good recording and the speakers disappear and leave a huge stage in front of you.  You and easily pick out locations for different instruments.  Voices and clear and well centered.   In my rooms they create the illusion of sound to the side and even behind me.  I've looked behind me more than once on a live recording because there are people clapping behind me but I don't have my surrounds on. 

Strings are unbelievable with the ribbons.  Midrange is full.   Bass is tight and quick.  They are never harsh. 

The higher the quality of the recording, of course the better they sound.  There seems to be no limits as to how high they can soar.  I'm sure at this point I'm limited by my electronics.   My next purchase is going to be the Oppo 105 to feed directly into the amps and then bigger amps. 

I find myself listening to all kinds of different music and really liking it.  If something is well recorded and reviewed, I'll try it.  I haven't been disappointed.  There is really nothing these speakers don't do well.

As for home theater, they are also top notch.  Dialog is clear, sounds are crisp and accurate.  Bass from the rythmiks is enough to rattle the windows 20 feet away.  I shook a cd case off the table in the middle of the room.   There is no reason to see something in the theater unless you like a 100ft screen.  My sound will blow the theater out of the water. 

We also use the setup for watching TV and of course they are great for that.  You and really tell when a show has put in the effort to produce a good soundtrack.

I couldn't be happier with the speakers.

Eric

Big Red Machine

« Reply #21 on: 14 Dec 2013, 12:59 am »
Coolio.  You can do much better than the oppo when it comes to dac duties though.  Feed the 8's well and they will continue to give back at higher levels.

SCompRacer

« Reply #22 on: 14 Dec 2013, 01:49 am »
Beautiful setup! High marks!

OgOgilby

« Reply #23 on: 14 Dec 2013, 03:16 am »
Eric,

Congrats, that is a beautiful setup.   :thumb:

And you are correct, the better your electronics, the better your Salks will sound.

-Greg

robcentola

« Reply #24 on: 14 Dec 2013, 12:13 pm »
"He gets huge discounts on all the big box companies but I think he wants Salks now and doesn't get any discounts." That's one a the great things about this manufacturer: We ALL get a "discount" with this business model, coupled with the efforts and generosity of Jim Salk. Really, that played a big role in my decision. If I went with the my original plan on speakers, I would have gotten half of I'm getting now. True value comes from being happy and he should make himself happy. ;)

Discovering new music is always great. I suspect my experience will be similar NEXT WEEK. I've been downloading a bunch of hirez of pieces that I'm unfamiliar with and thinking to myself, "This is going to sound great on the Salks!" Seems to me computer audio has come a long way the ten years and it's just going to keep getting better.

Great review. We all read these reviews all the time and it's nice to read them from people who are just regular folks like me.

SCompRacer

« Reply #25 on: 14 Dec 2013, 04:13 pm »
To add to what you said about value, getting a pair in a veneer you like adds to the individual experience. One thing I liked about Jim was how he accurately and tactfully described the difference between the speakers I had and the SS8's I was getting.

A group of my friends and I take turns hosting music meets. The host assigns several categories and you bring music to match. It is a great way to get introduced to music or an artist/group you've never heard before.

JonnyFive

« Reply #26 on: 14 Dec 2013, 05:47 pm »
Great review Eric, thanks!  Made me even more anxious to get mine! :)