Need advice

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Need advice
« on: 3 Oct 2013, 12:01 pm »
Looking for cheap/compact/convenient and hopefully cheerful option for occasional background music for the living room.

The open floor plan with cathedral ceiling means that the total connected space is roughly 10,000 cu. ft. and location dictates being user/cat/kid friendly while reducing the visual impact of my current solution of using leftover pieces from old systems (one of which died which is bringing this issue to head).  That has consisted of AM/FM stereo receiver, CD player, and 2-way floorstanders (that the cat has been slowly clawing the grill cloths to death.

I've been debating powered/active speakers (with possible subwoofer to accommodate the large space and my thirst for foundational bass) sourced by Airport Express (AE) and controlled via iTouch/iPhone (I own a 2012 iMac that is in my audio man cave).  But I'd have to buy the AE and iDevice, pushing the system cost right off the bat to around $700 without subwoofer.  BTW the router is only about 12 feet away in the loft above where the living room system resides.

The other less expensive option I've been considering is to try a Logitech UE (internet radio).  Currently $99 on the street, no AE or iDevice would be needed (of course an iDevice app exist if desired), compact (9" x 5" x 5"), and the headphone jack could be used to send analog signal to powered/active speakers as deemed necessary.  Other options, such as component internet tuner would straight away require powered/active speakers and in itself cost more (roughly same as the AE/iDevice option); while something like DeepBlue requires an iDevice to remotely control (and while being the same investment as the AE/iDevice option wouldn't accommodate alternate use on a desktop, with computer which I'd like to keep as a future option).  I realize that sound quality from the Logitech UE by itself will be quite inferior to any decent powered/active stereo speaker setup, but it's much cheaper/simpler option to run alone.

My Question #1:  Any idea how the sound quality from the analog outputs from something like the Logitech UE compares to AE?

My Question #2:  Any idea if the Logitech UE can access different music from my library from what I may be playing from the iMac in my man cave?  (I understand that AE cannot do that, it and the host computer can only simultaneously access the same music.)  Having access to concurrent different music would be a big plus in my book.

TIA

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Re: Need advice
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2013, 01:39 pm »
My Question #2:  Any idea if the Logitech UE can access different music from my library from what I may be playing from the iMac in my man cave?  (I understand that AE cannot do that, it and the host computer can only simultaneously access the same music.)  Having access to concurrent different music would be a big plus in my book.

Not sure if Logitech UE can do this out of the box, but it can be reverted back to a Squeezebox Radio on which it is based. There is a selection in the settings allowing it to run the Squeezebox firmware. You'll need to run slimserver on your computer, but that's not been a problem in our house.

FYI - I just bought and am waiting for delivery of the Logitech UE Smart Radio which I plan to run as a Squeezebox Radio (along with my other SB Radio, Touch, couple SB3s and Duet). Yeah, I'm a Squeezebox fan. The Logitech UE Smart Radio also comes with a rechargeable battery (which was extra cost on the SB Radio) so we can easily move it around, take it out on the patio, etc.

JLM

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2013, 11:56 pm »
I had an early modded SB3, but the software was so glitchy that I dumped it.  Great concept, is the Duet still available?  Has the glitches ever been resolved?  (I'd like a long term, stable solution.)

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2013, 12:03 am »
They haven't made duets for a while, but used one's should be around.

I no longer use mine, but it now just a board.  I had moved it to a new case, but I repurposed the case and just have the duet board laying around somewhere.

Randy

JLM

« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2013, 09:23 am »
Thanks Randy, but don't want something that only Edison's mother would love (looks like an experiment or worse yet, is still full of buggy glitches).  And not really interested in a device that is at the end of the technology road.

The simpler operating system of the Logitech UE that should greatly reduce the 'glitch factor' is why I'm even interested in it. 

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2013, 10:51 am »
Thanks all, got answers from Nature Boy   :thumb: