Will become a Von Schweikert owner in a few days

martinr

Will become a Von Schweikert owner in a few days
« on: 1 Oct 2013, 12:41 am »
I just took the plunge and purchased a pair of VR-4 Gen iii HSE off Audiogon.  Have wanted VS speakers for many years now.  I will be replacing Odyssey Lorelei 2-way speakers which are great for the money but the VS should be a significant upgrade........I'll be bi-wiring through my recently upgraded Odyssey stratos mono-blocks (Kismet Hybrids).  Am planning on placing the speakers on systrum platforms that I use for the Lorelies.   Can't wait....these are new in the box although NOS from 2003,  I know Albert recommends 100 hour break in --- although I'm hoping they will sound good right out of the box.  I'll be able to place them about 2.5 feet off the back wall...can't wait to hear them!  :green:

- Martin

roscoeiii

Re: Will become a Von Schweikert owner in a few days
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2013, 01:33 am »
Awesome. Even though I have VR-4 Gen IIs I gave that ad some thought...

StereoNut

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:12 am »
Martin

Don't be surprised if the break in takes a lot longer.  Albert completely re-built my VR-4 Gen.III's with the 2012 upgrade, it took 500 hours to get them to really sing.  For your sake, I hope you don't have to go through that lengthy process.  It was totally frustrating, but worth the wait.

My 2¢

SN

martinr

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:33 am »
I understand SN....Odyssey gear takes a long time to break in as well..not worth listening to until at least 200 hours...thanks for your advice.

- Martin

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:39 am »
martiner:

I bought a pair of VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers brand new from Albert Von Schweikert years ago.  A Very,Very fine sounding speaker. But!! When I bought them they were $6,00.00 a pair. I had them upgraded a few years ago that cost me about $3,000.00. When I got them back from AVS they were like brand new and now sound like a $20,000.00 speaker. If you are thinking about  doing what I did save the original shipping cartons. Because they are no longer available not even from AVS.

Good Luck
                                                                              Cheers
                                                                                Charlie

martinr

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2013, 06:45 pm »
Thanks Charlie,

These that I've purchased are still in the original containers......never been opened, NOS from 2003.

For now I'll stick with the base units, my wife is doing well to contain herself over the money I spent on this purchase! :icon_lol:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2013, 10:52 pm »
martiner:

Get rid of the wife.
 Keep the AVS speakers.

Cheers
                                                      Charlie

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2013, 01:29 pm »
martiner:

Get rid of the wife.
 Keep the AVS speakers.

Cheers
                                                      Charlie

Well done Chas...spoken like a true audiophile  :thumb:

martinr

« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2013, 03:33 pm »
Done!

Charles Calkins

« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2013, 10:12 pm »
Done!

Martinr:
 Sure hope you can cook!

Cheers
                               Charlie

JackD201

« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2013, 07:01 am »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

martinr

« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2013, 02:26 pm »
I'll be eating beans for the next few weeks...bought the speakers (picking them up tonight) and was furloughed the next day........

Charles Calkins

« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2013, 09:31 pm »
I'll be eating beans for the next few weeks...bought the speakers (picking them up tonight) and was furloughed the next day........
Martinr:

Make very sure that you cook no more than 239 beans at a time one more makes them Too Farty!!

Cheers
                                                                     Charlie

martinr

« Reply #13 on: 4 Oct 2013, 03:42 pm »
Got em set up last night......they sound good out of the box although I know they'll improve over the next few weeks.  Bass and imaging should improve once I put them on my systrum platforms.  They're 2' 3" off the back wall, I have an additional 5" to play with...large basement with furniture, pool table - rec room.  Determing the best placement will take some time...I think is time to get some advice on soundtraps ect to "tune my room".  ...my system took a huge leap forward last night for sure......happily eating my beans  :) - Martin

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 4 Oct 2013, 05:02 pm »
You lucky duck. Good luck with placement.

JackD201

« Reply #15 on: 4 Oct 2013, 05:33 pm »
Hi Martin,

You'll find that the manual is extremely instructive and well written. Just follow the pointers put in by Albert and you'll lock your babies in very quickly. Gen III HSEs were my very first pair of VSAs. It's been no looking back since.

Enjoy!!!!!!

michaelhigh

« Reply #16 on: 4 Oct 2013, 05:53 pm »
martiner:

Get rid of the wife.
 Keep the AVS speakers.

Cheers
                                                      Charlie

To quote (loosely) the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers of yore:

"Times of AVS speakers will get you through times of no wife better than wife will get you through times of no AVS ANYTHING!"

Eat that and smile!  :green:

michaelhigh

« Reply #17 on: 4 Oct 2013, 05:56 pm »

Efficient Government Oxymorons at work, I'd assume...  :duh:

martinr

« Reply #18 on: 5 Oct 2013, 05:21 pm »
AFter an extended listening session last night got the wifes approval...she loves the speakers  :thumb:
using the ISOTEK system enhancer disc to break em in...have about 18 hours on em so far....after 100 + hours I plan on attempting the pink noise imaging/placement technique Albert describes in his literature. 

I will need to replace my speaker cables in the future...currently using  harmonic technology pro 11 plus on the base units and Odyssey Gronenberg on the top..

Im looking for some bi-wire SC's in the $500 range....used or new.  Considering Morrow Audio or maybe cables built by moon audio.

Any suggestions on Bi-wire cables in the $500 price range would be greatly appreciated!

Beans taste better when listening to VR 4's!   :green:

- Martin

martinr

« Reply #19 on: 5 Oct 2013, 09:39 pm »

[/img]