Your First Car

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Your First Car
« Reply #60 on: 1 Oct 2013, 09:41 pm »
But did you turn the air cleaner lid over to get that four barrel sound (I did and told my folks that it got better gas mileage do you think they believed me?)?    :rotflmao:
I did that on my third car, a 1975 Olds Cutlass Supreme.   :thumb:

WireNut

« Reply #61 on: 1 Oct 2013, 10:39 pm »

WireNut

« Reply #62 on: 1 Oct 2013, 10:51 pm »
WGH,

This in pink :o you da man brother, good cover  :smoke: 

The van was painted like a pink parfait because when Bill painted it he didn't have enough red or white paint so he mixed them in horizontal stripes going from dark pink to light pink.

Wayne

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #63 on: 1 Oct 2013, 11:38 pm »

1973 Plymouth Duster mine was dark metallic green w/ 225 slant six and 3 on the floor
I had chrome reverse rims with baby moon hubcaps. Brand new off the lot in Totowa NJ
for $2,400. Stereo was a Craig Power-play 8-track and Craig Power-play speakers.
My 1st 8-track tape was Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality.

galyons

« Reply #64 on: 2 Oct 2013, 12:04 am »
1964 Corvair Spyder...turbocharged  flat six!  Ate 289 Mustangs for a snack.  Janis blaring from the the 8 track, (though not in this pic, my now wife, and I in the local Christmas parade,1968!  :icon_lol:)  Started me on a life long affair with air cooled, rear engine cars!

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #65 on: 2 Oct 2013, 12:19 am »
1973 Plymouth Duster mine was dark metallic green w/ 225 slant six and 3 on the floor
That slant six was something that you couldn't kill.. They would run forever. Had one in an Aspen wagon that went on for ever..
Best PLant Chrysler ever produced..cept for the wedge and Hemi. The 426 Hemi was underrated in hp and torque. If I remember right it was advertised as having 500 foot pounds of torque.. freaking huge man! Friend had one in a 69 Roadrunner that was awesome off the line. Tourqueflite trans was something to behold! Great cars but wouldn't want to turn a corner or stop.

The Corvair with the turbo was quick! Like driving a go-kart with unlimited hp. Engine and transaxle made a great sand car...cut up a few for sand rails for the dunes over at Silver lake on lake Michigan.!

WireNut

« Reply #66 on: 2 Oct 2013, 12:33 am »

I had chrome reverse rims with baby moon hubcaps. Brand new off the lot in Totowa NJ
for $2,400. Stereo was a Craig Power-play 8-track and Craig Power-play speakers.
My 1st 8-track tape was Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality.

P-man,

That's frigging awesome. Duster + 8 track + Sabbath  8)

hakka26

« Reply #67 on: 2 Oct 2013, 12:33 am »
1958 Volvo PV-444.

Been wanting one of these for years to slide in a small block. Broke my heart to see one at the parts yard over the Labor Day weekend while I was hunting for CRX parts. Near as I could tell the engine must have given up as the car was in very good condition.

won ton on

« Reply #68 on: 2 Oct 2013, 12:50 am »
1975 Trans Am,bought new with my own money. It was red with a white interior,400 auto.Like Pman i got the craig powerplay 8 track 6x9 speakers and booster.Man those 8 tracks were crap and i switched to cassette for my next car.The record store would say it was the player and the car stereo place said it was the tape........Bob 2 i had a friend who blew 2 slant 6's one he put a rod through the block the other just seized up,was in the same car too. Mind you it was the dead of winter and to get heat he put a piece of carboard in front of  the rad all the while trying to see how fast it would go. Got to 105 mph then boom oh well can laugh about it now.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #69 on: 2 Oct 2013, 01:01 am »

A 1985 Ford Mustang LX coupe

This was a 3 speed automatic, 4 cylinder 1.(doesn't really matter) Liter engine.  No "5.0" here. Not even close. It had trouble with long steep inclines.

Every few hundred miles I had to dump a quart of oil in it.  And add power steering fluid at random intervals.  And I seem to remember adding antifreeze regularly. And to keep even the illusion of traction in upstate NY winter, I had to put cinder blocks in the trunk - but U turns were easy - just put it into a tailspin.  The joys of being a teenager/early 20s.

The picture is similar but I think different hubcaps and that's not me driving.

jules

« Reply #70 on: 2 Oct 2013, 06:16 am »
Beetle with  an early Porsche motor ... you know what they look like  :)

jules

audiogoober

« Reply #71 on: 2 Oct 2013, 01:14 pm »

73 Vega Wagon in burnt orange!  It was a used POS that I paid $70 for.

The car would not die. I ran out of gas once and put roofing membrane cleaner in the tank.....she still purred like a kitten.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #72 on: 2 Oct 2013, 02:58 pm »

The car would not die. I ran out of gas once and put roofing membrane cleaner in the tank.....she still purred like a kitten.

Hilarious. :rotflmao:

Woodsea

« Reply #73 on: 10 Nov 2013, 08:45 pm »

She was not as nimble as my mom's mid 80's accord, but she was fast and the brakes sucked.  What a ride!

Nick77

« Reply #74 on: 10 Nov 2013, 10:14 pm »
66 Chevy Chevelle SS, big, fast and terrible brakes also. Good times...........

Woodsea

« Reply #75 on: 10 Nov 2013, 10:27 pm »
My Mom sold, right out from under me, a 67 Chevelle 283, dark blue with disc brakes.  I was 15, it was perfect!, I was crushed.

orthobiz

« Reply #76 on: 10 Nov 2013, 10:35 pm »
1973 V6 Mercury Capri, blue. Jamie Lee Curtis had the same car, albeit a 1972.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51aj-rK%2BOEL._SY200_.jpg

Paul

Photon46

« Reply #77 on: 10 Nov 2013, 11:23 pm »
1961 Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite. Slow as could be, but a lot of fun to drive once up to speed. Not to practical though, but I didn't care about that at 16. Mine was a darker metallic blue than the one in the picture.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #78 on: 11 Nov 2013, 12:06 am »
1952 Chevy Deluxe 4 door.  It was an A title car with 32,000 original miles.  Purchased for $250 at 8am in the morning, we were the first ones there, the second guy nearly cried.  Not my car here, but it was in that good of condition.

rodge827

« Reply #79 on: 11 Nov 2013, 12:17 am »
This was it for me!

White 1980 Dodge Omni  :D

Not too cool, but hey it had an AM Radio!  8)  :roll: