Your First Car

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Your First Car
« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2013, 04:57 pm »

68 Galaxy 500 but mine was in pale lime green.

WireNut

« Reply #21 on: 27 Sep 2013, 05:00 pm »
Some of you guys have had some nice first cars.

But you ain't seen nothing yet.  8)

AMC Gremlin. White with factory red racing stripe.

That racing strip makes all the difference  :o :D

Shoot, I even had 6x9's in my first car   :icon_surprised:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 27 Sep 2013, 05:11 pm »
The chicks couldn't resist the red stripe.  8)

milford3

« Reply #23 on: 27 Sep 2013, 05:21 pm »

1971 Ford Maverick.  Trans was a "three on a tree."  Oh yeah, it also had an eight track player in it.

Scott F.

« Reply #24 on: 27 Sep 2013, 11:12 pm »
I started with a '57 Ford F100, shortbed, styleside

Mine was two tone, burnt orange on the bottom and cream on the top. I only had it for a couple months and started driving a 1970 Ford Ranchero. Mine was solid red with a black tonnau cover.

Chris Adams

« Reply #25 on: 28 Sep 2013, 12:02 am »
Nice bunch of vehicles!

My first was a 1956 Chevy BelAir rag top like this one. Same color but mine did not have the continental kit.

Blackmore

« Reply #26 on: 28 Sep 2013, 12:36 am »

Mine was similar to this one.  A 1969 Dodge Coronet with the 225 Slant six.  We put hood scoops on it to look like a Super Bee.  Rode like a potato wagon but it always started and was fun to drive.  We sold it to get a red Gremlin X.  Beat that BISL!!!!!!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #27 on: 28 Sep 2013, 12:47 am »
......... We sold it to get a red Gremlin X.  Beat that BISL!!!!!!!

Ok....since you called me out.....  8) ..... Here's my second car.

A 1982 Chrysler K car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :thumb:
Just like this one.

(EDIT: Changed the photo)

Blackmore

« Reply #28 on: 28 Sep 2013, 12:48 am »
Oh that just sucks.  I throw in the towel.  You win!!! :lol:

bummrush

« Reply #29 on: 28 Sep 2013, 12:49 am »
72 Ford Fairlane,, sick looking slime green color.

bummrush

« Reply #30 on: 28 Sep 2013, 12:53 am »
That Ford above , the ranchero red is so nice. A friend had a purple one maybe a little older , by god we beat the piss out of that car . That damn car ran forever.

TomS

« Reply #31 on: 28 Sep 2013, 01:33 am »
I made a token payment to my dad for it, because I was broke while in college, but I guess that counts.
1966 Pontiac LeMans 2 door coupe, red, black interior, 326 V8. Great car!

Upon graduation, I bought a blue 1974 Datsun 260Z and drove 5 weeks around the country with my room mate, stuffed to the back hatch with camping gear, before starting a new job. That led to a succession of Z's until they just screwed them up totally.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #32 on: 28 Sep 2013, 03:20 am »
Here's the back of my first and the front of my second car. Neither were stock. I put a C6 (small block version) transmission in the '66 Mustang (with the 289 V8) to replace the ragged out C4. I wish I took pictures of more stuff back then, but this photo was really to send someone to show the result of my body repair work (no, I had nothing to do with the painting) on the rear quarter panel of the Mustang - not bad for a first attempt at such work. I need to find a photo of the interior - I built a wooden console and armrests (padded, of course) that really looked fancy, as did the two-tone color scheme. Like a complete dolt, I sold that Mustang in the early '80s.

The '71 Firebird Esprit came with a blown 350 engine which I replaced with a 455 Rocket out of a wrecked '70 Olds Delta 88. It was something of a sleeper. :icon_lol:

WGH

« Reply #33 on: 28 Sep 2013, 03:38 am »
It was something of a sleeper. :icon_lol:

That reminds me of my brother and his friends, he had a '68 Pontiac GTO which was fast but his buddy had the Chevy Nova 327/350hp that leaped.

Wayne

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #34 on: 28 Sep 2013, 09:30 am »
'67 Ford Mustang w/ a 289 in it, puke green, one body panel a different color than the rest.
That thing was a lot of fun to drive and being a kid I wasn't the most responsible motorist on the road, I guess.

I remember sliding off of the road in the Winter one night, I end up on somebody's yard and I'm trying to power my way through the snow to get back onto the pavement.
I wasn't making a whole heck of a lot of forward progress but I was doing a mighty find job of digging a trench.
Back and forth, back and forth, crap, I'm stuck and then some guy shows up and bangs on the car window and when I roll it down he was screaming, "My rose garden!!!  You're in my rose garden!!!" which made my friends just about wet their pants laughing.
Especially when I had to get a shovel from the distraught owner and dig my way back to the road as he hovered over me.

Umm, sorry about that, here's your shovel, thanks...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #35 on: 28 Sep 2013, 11:19 am »
Silver 1978 VW Rabbit 2-door 4 on the floor with a local (stupid) sports package (wide tires, fancy wheels, air dam/skirting, big red strips) was my first.  It was a poor compromise versus what I really wanted.  A year later I traded it for a 1979 Saab 99 2-door 4 on the floor (non-turbo, last of leaded gas burners).  Put a mono Blaukplunt  AM/FM in (had to pay $65 for a dashboard panel that was made for a radio) with Radio Shack Minimus 7 speaker.  Neither car had power anything or air conditioning, but the Saab was well built, huge interior volume, and eccentric. 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #36 on: 28 Sep 2013, 12:01 pm »

An early 60s MG Midget. Bought it with my own money while in high school. Thought it was cool and it was fun to drive. In the end though, it was a true POS car. Left pools of oil wherever I parked it, had a hole in the floor board behind the passenger seat and more. It was less than ten-years-old when I bought it.
The pic is not mine but it reflects the condition of the car I had. Of course I washed and waxed it so it was clean.
I sold it before the summer ended for what I paid for it. Pass it along to the next sucker, kinda like the Rega Mira I bought at a bargain a while ago. Common theme, British build.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: 28 Sep 2013, 01:44 pm »
Second car was a big upgrade from the Triumph. I bought a 1963 Alfa Romeo Giuletta Spyder for $800. It had a high revving (7K red line) dual overhead can aluminum inline 4, and the 4 speed had synchro in first. The top could be raised and lowered with one hand from the driver's seat, and the sucker even had roll up windows. It was a really cool Italian sports car. Unfortunately most people mistook it for a Karmann Ghia.

Guy 13

« Reply #38 on: 28 Sep 2013, 02:18 pm »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
My first car was an ugly pale blue Volkswagen Beatle 1961
and I was 21 years old.
The very first long trip I did with it,
was going to Quebec City a two hours drive from Montreal.
It was in the month of January and the thermometer was frozen at -25F
and I had no heater, only a little puff of warm air to defrost the windshield.
However, I had with me a hot girl friend to keep me warm,
I even remember her name: Evelyn.
As a matter of fact we went to Quebec City for my first sexual initiation…
OUPS… :nono:
Yes I know, I was 21 years old, a little late for a first one, but since then, I did catch up.
Now, back to the main topic, once in Quebec city the motor started to jerk
right in front of a gas station, the mechanic look under the hood,
at the back of the car of course and found a gas plastic tubing
from the gas pump that had collapsed, he replace it and the car ran like new, well… You know what I mean.
After that memorable trip, I sold that lunch box to a friend of my father
and that friend tear off the four wings and used it as a dune buggy
to go hunting in the forest.
That was my first car, after that 21 more cars and truck had followed new
and used.

Guy 13

The picture is not my car, mine was 100 times more ugly....

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #39 on: 28 Sep 2013, 02:43 pm »
I gotcha both beat Bob and Mark - wife's 2nd car

Pacer baby - otherwise known as 'the aquarium'