TV - BRP - Amplifer connections.

Guy 13

TV - BRP - Amplifer connections.
« on: 26 Sep 2013, 12:13 pm »

Hi all Audio Circle members.
Yesterday, while on a business trip to Hong Kong,
I happen to pass in front of a Panasonic store
and they had a huge display of flat screen TVs.
The first thing I did was to look at a 60” Panasonic plasma TV.
Looked nice, but beside the other Panasonic LED screens it was evident to me that the plasma was less lively, darker, did not have vivid colors like the LED.
(To my eyes anyway.)
I was surprised and therefore I asked the sales lady if that unit has been optimized or will be optimized once it has found a new home.
She said, yes, it needed to be fine tuned.
I said; that it would be better if you tune it right now so the potential buyers would be more incline to buy it.
She said that the customers know that the unit needs to be fine tune.
What a (Stupid) non professional answer.
(To me anyway, as a potential buyer.)
Anyway, I did not wanted to buy the TV in Hong Kong,
I was just curious about what the plasma TV I was dreaming of looked like.
Lots of LCD and LED here, but no plasma TV.
The final evaluation will be done when I am back in Canada with money in my pocket and ready to buy.
In addition I think I will go for a 40 to 50” screen, not a 32” (Too small) and not a 60” (Too expensive).
Does any of the Audio Circle members already own a Panasonic plasma TV (Entry level model) ?
As I could not find on Panasonic website a clear answer to my questions about the connections, I would like if someone could help me.
Here is my question.
The TV and the BluRay player with be connected between them with a HMDI cable.
From the BluRay’s RCA audio output, I will run RCA interconnects to my tube or/ss single input analog amplifier.
When I will not be running the BluRay will I be able to get the audio analog signal from the Tv to my amplifier, therefore by-passing the unpowered BluRay player.
If the audio signal from the TV can’t by-pass the BlyRay, I will have to run extra RCA interconnect directly from my Tv to my amplifier.
I hope my question is clear.
I am trying (For now) to avoid buying an A/V home theater receiver and save a few hundred $ $ $.
Also, should I change my mind about buying a Panasonic plasma TV and start considering LED TVs.

Guy 13

WC

Re: TV - BRP - Amplifer connections.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2013, 01:29 pm »
I have an entry level plasma from Panasonic. LCD and LED sets always look more impressive at a store. Look at the difference in the brightly lit showroom vs. what would be in your living room. LCDs are always brighter, but in most homes a plasma will have a better picture.

Most flat screen TVs only have an optical audio out, and most don't have an analog audio out. On some TVs you can set the optical to PCM output, but many of the TVs only output a Dolby Digital signal. Any DAC can read the PCM output, but only a few can read Dolby Digital. There are some inexpensive DACs that can read Dolby Digital. You can also find some older used AVRs with limited HDMI functionality for $50 or so, which would be all you would need if you are sending your video sources directly to the TV.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2013, 09:28 pm »
I have a Panasonic TC-P60U50 60" plasma (the cheap one) and cannot be happier with the picture, it is plenty bright for daytime viewing with real nice deep blacks. I can't imagine the picture on a more expensive model being any better. The price can be all over the map, from $1200 at frys.com to only $628 at Walmart. I paid $830 in January and thought it was a bargain. Basic calibration using the info from AVS Forum is good enough for me:
The Official Panasonic U50/54 Owners' Thread

Regarding connections the P60U50 only has digital audio out. I always download the manual before buying electronics to check out functions and connections.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P60U50?t=manuals

The most affordable setup would be to use the Blu-ray player for all video material. Look for the Audio Return Channel (ARC) function in both the TV and Blu-ray player, this allows the TV sound to go through the HDMI cable back to the Blu-ray player. Of course the Blu-ray player has to be on whenever you want big sound while watching TV, the advantage is you can control the volume with the Blu-ray remote. I think any Blu-ray player will have a better decoder and audio (RCA) output than a TV. Analog sound out of TV is always a disappointment. If possible stretch the budget for an Oppo BDP-103 which has excellent sound and picture.

Wayne

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2013, 09:41 pm »
I own a Panasonic plasma model number TS-65PS64.  It can be purchased from Costco or Sam's Club.

I think WGH is right.  It does not sound like you will be using a preamp so the Blu-ray player with ARC would allow you to switch between sources, the Blu-ray player or the TV.  Without being able to switch between sources you would have to manually change what is carrying audio through your RCA cables.

TV (source) -> Blu-ray -> Amplifier
Blu-ray (source) => TV & Amplifier

I just battled a similar issue as your foresee.  I wanted to be able to use the TV speakers for my girlfriend with the ability to use my external speakers for me.  I used an optical cable out of the cable box and TV into my old but fully-featured (minus ARC) receiver, a Yamaha V661.  After a couple of days of struggles I figured out how to get things running the way I wanted.

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2013, 02:32 pm »
Hi tf121682, WGH, WC and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks to all for your advises...
All the reading was of some help,
but I realize that I will have to wait until I am back in Canada in a real electronic store to see or visually look at the TV, Blu-ray and receiver to figure out how the connections works.
One think is sure, I will buy a Panasonic plasma.
For the Blu-ray I will choose between the Panasonic, Sony or Pioneer.
I would like the OPPO 103 at 499 USD,
but by the time I pay the custom tax it will be too expensive for me,
also, I don't like the idea of sending the unit back to the USA for repair,
even if it's easy.
I prefer to buy local. 
I have to accept the fact that I will have to buy a Home Theater receiver
for the HMDI connections.
I will have to go with a 5.1 unit,
but I will use it as a 2 channels stereo.
Thanks again all.

Guy 13