New Stereo Hypex Ncore dual 600W @ 2 Ohm less than $1500!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
See all new stereo amp images at the bottom of the page: http://jamesromeyn.com/#/home-audio-gear/hypex-ncore-nc400-build-service-on-time-or-free-build

I recommend this new stereo amp without reservation.  If you own the mono blocs and your friend buys the stereo amp, you will be shocked in direct comparison.  I think the stereo amp equals the mono blocs, and costs $400 less.  Also slightly less to ship.

Think about this: Bruno's Hypex Ncore NC400 power amp modules, dual 600W @ 2 Ohms, 8.5 lbs gross weight with damping added to top panel, draws 8W @ idle. 

The XLR plugs are perfectly vertical, with push release at the top.  The rubber feet do slightly protrude beyond the side panels, 3.5mm to be exact. 

Call me if you have any questions.   

martyo

Re: New Stereo Hypex Ncore dual 600W @ 2 Ohm less than $1500!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2013, 09:26 am »
Who rates at 2 Ohms? Am I right in assuming 200 watts per channel  RMS @ 8 ohms.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2013, 12:21 pm »
Hey James,
     I enjoyed your site, very nice music my friend.  I have always been tempted to try the "SST Trinaural Processor".  Some day we will have to have a discussion on it.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2013, 05:29 pm »
Who rates at 2 Ohms? Am I right in assuming 200 watts per channel  RMS @ 8 ohms.

Nowhere does Hypex rate any amp with the generally useless spec RMS.  RMS is useless for music reproduction unless you call steady state continuous signals "music."  Bruno rates amp power 1/3rd duty cycle.  IMHO this spec should be industry standard.  1/3rd duty cycle smartly splits the difference between RMS and 100ms dynamic bursts (too short).   

The point you raise above relates directly to this unique Ncore stereo amp and the 1200W power supply selected. 

Bruno of Hypex got me used to the 2 Ohm spec.  Bruno routinely refers to the 2 Ohm rating spec to reflect the difference employing one SMPS600 per each NC400 power amp module, or one SMPS600 per two NC400. 

At 1/3rd duty cycle the former yields 200/400/600W @ 8/4/2 Ohms (safe to 1 Ohm minimum).  The latter yields 200/400W @ 8/4 Ohms (safe to only 2 Ohms minimum). 

This unique stereo chassis with single 1200W power supply matches the former's specs (two SMPS600 mono blocs or dual mono), while saving the buyer $400.

As stated at my site, there are sum total two potential advantages of dual mono SMPS600.  One is power supply separation.  Considering the channel separation on any particular software, one might posit the effective difference is minimum to inaudible.  The only remaining potential advantage is shortest possible speaker cables for minimum resistance for the worst speaker loads.  This potential advantage is eliminated by placing the stereo amp exactly mid point between the L/R speakers and employing the superb and affordable 4AWG I found marketed for car audio power cable (super-flexible, utlra-fine copper strands, attractive soft-texture root-beer colored rubber jacket) parallel with 30AWG wrapping wire to eliminate the 4AWG's considerable self inductance.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! :lol:

I prefer simple tinned ends for speaker cable termination over any other method.  Tinned ends requires wire/pin hole in the binding post.   

« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2013, 09:38 pm by James Romeyn »

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2013, 08:11 pm »
FWIW, I have measured the THD+N vs Power of an SMPS600/NC400 setup. The one I tested manged a bit more than 200W/8R and hit 400W into 4R at just over 1%THD, so close it's hard to be sure. It manages 600W/2R at a slightly higher distortion. Plots can be seen here.

Given the SMSP1200 that James is using is rated at double the SMPS600, it should be about the same, perhaps a little better if only one channel is having a high demand such as using a pair of these in a vertical biamp configuration.  8)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2013, 09:23 pm »
I think I speak for every member in saying a big "Thanks" to Mike for each and every post, adding to our technical knowledge here at Audiocircle.  I'm honored for his edification in this particular instance.

For one, it's great to see how honest or conservative are Hypex' specs.  I presumed (or possibly read Mike's specs earlier) that Ncore distortion rises into lowest impedance loads.  I posted as much at DIYaudio.  Someone quickly replied and contradicted me, stating that though most amps increase distortion as impedance drops, such is not the case with Ncore. 

I must have read several hundred or more technical reports of audio amplifiers.  In each and every case, and Ncore appears no exception, as load impedance falls magnitude of distortion increases and/or distortion spectra worsens (becomes increasingly audible and/or objectionable, i.e. higher rate of odd vs. even order), usually or always both.

Theoretically, if the opposite were true, the best performing load is a dead short, which in SS terms is called a dead amplifier and room filled with, as they say in the fire business, "products of combustion."   

If I had to bet I'd naturally presume the latter person is incorrect and Mike's report is accurate.   

fsimms

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2013, 01:44 am »
Nice pictures James.  It looks like you did a nice job with your new stereo cabinets.  :thumb:

Bob