HT question

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
HT question
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2004, 05:27 pm »
I would check out some M&K's for the surround then.  they make all different sizes and was considering some as surround before going with all VMPS. Triad is also a good choice but not cheap...the Parasounds are a great choice -BTW- I just replaced my three 1000a with my Cary equipment this week.  

Larry

Stimpy

HT question
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2004, 06:45 pm »
Ed,

Why not just get one of Brian's Dipole Surrounds?  Mount it on the back wall, with the drivers firing left and right, along the back wall.  Hey, maybe Brian could even wire two inputs, one for each of the dipole driver sets.  Plus, you could get the kit, and save money:

DIPOLE SURROUND  

Side surround or main speaker with bipolar radiation pattern, dual 6.5” polypropylene or solid graphite cone woofers and dual 1” critically damped softdome tweeters w/control, 16x9.5x8” (HxWxD), 24 lbs.  Lite oak, Dark oak, satin black finishes Power Handling 150W. Impedance 8 Ohms, 24 lbs.

KIT w/cabinet $289ea

KIT w/o cabinet $149ea

Assembled $349ea

OPTION: dual Focal inverted metal oxide dome tweeters add $130 per speaker, dual 6.5" solid graphite woofers $120 per speaker

Stewart

Marbles

HT question
« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2004, 10:22 pm »
Why not just wait until you can afford the VMPS ribbon speakers?

I haven't regretted waiting until I could afford what I really wanted.  I HAVE regretted settling for an inferior product, the most memorable was a cheap over and under shotgun, when I really wanted a much nicer one.  If I had just waited 6 months I could have bought the nicer one, instead I was budened with the cheap one for about a year and took a big hit on selling it.

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #23 on: 4 Aug 2004, 05:48 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Why not just wait until you can afford the VMPS ribbon speakers?

I don't want to spend buku bucks on rears I only need for synthesized surround on dvd's. Want something really reasonable in cost/performance ratio.

Quote from: Stimpy
Ed,

Why not just get one of Brian's Dipole Surrounds?  Mount it on the back wall, with the drivers firing left and right, along the back wall.

Hmmmmmm.......this may be the way to go!

What about the QSO 626 @ $698.00/pr? I would probably prefer direct-radiating for HT......

-Ed

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
HT question
« Reply #24 on: 4 Aug 2004, 06:36 pm »
Ed,

What about this:

http://www.boldercables.com/Store.asp?m=TheBolderCableCompany&n=10&k=130787&s=CLEARANCE+SALE%21

Pair of VMPS QSO 404 speakers 8” 2way with solid graphite cone woofer, 1” critically damped softdome(50 lb)

Not sure you will do better for $300.

George

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #25 on: 11 Aug 2004, 06:41 pm »
George-

Went with a pair of Athena B2's and Parasound 1500A for rears. Using the AQ Diamondback RCA's with them as well.

Like how your theatre is comin' along. We are still moving in and I will post my living room theatre pics soon:)

-Ed

sbcgroup1

rears
« Reply #26 on: 22 Aug 2004, 03:41 am »
I ditched the Athena's and went with the Pinnacle BD300's instead.  They arrived a few days ago and have a really nice piano black finish...

Recieved the Cinenova's, the Parasound 1500A, Audioquest cables, focus enhancements scaler, Sherwood Newcastle Pre/Pro, & hung my DaLite CinemaVision screen. Hooked up my computer & phone network (with one hand) today...and life is getting good again:) Vonage VOIP is holding up very nicely... Anyways, VMPS BCSE African Ebony 40's, 30C & LRC's shipped on Fri!!

I crushed my left thumb on Wed morning loading a machine up on to a flatbed that slipped and got it amputated from the nail up. Spent the night in the hospital :evil:   Those pain numbing needles hurt!!! Then I got put to sleep...so the rest is hazy... Being limited, it's hard to move these damn speakers around (got released and I went back to working on the house... being the determined knucklehead that I am). Annoying the wife to help me hang them tomorrow!! I know...I'm crazy...:)

-Ed

Marbles

Re: rears
« Reply #27 on: 22 Aug 2004, 06:55 am »
Quote from: sbcgroup1
I crushed my left thumb on Wed morning loading a machine up on to a flatbed that slipped and got it amputated from the nail up. Spent the night in the hospital icon_evil.gif Those pain numbing needles hurt!!!  ...

Dude, how are you typing this?

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #28 on: 22 Aug 2004, 03:50 pm »
With my right hand:)

Ed

jgubman

HT question
« Reply #29 on: 22 Aug 2004, 03:54 pm »
Ouch, one less fingernail to do putty adjustments with!!

Sorry to hear about the accident, sounds horrible.