Technical wizards you saw play?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Technical wizards you saw play?
« on: 19 Sep 2013, 05:18 pm »
Post the most technically talented guitarists you've seen play.  Pure musical "touch," "style," and "emotional content" are close secondary considerations. 

Born and raised in San Francisco, lived in the Bay Area till 2007. 

Up through the mid-late 70s I saw many if not most of Doc Watson's performances in the Bay Area.  IIRC Doc's son Merle performed with Doc each time, up till Merle's untimely death (apparently a farm tractor accident).  The last time I saw Doc was the early 00s in Sebastopol, at which time I finally got to go backstage and shake this legend's hand.

In his prime, Doc's guitar solos would hypnotize the audience, sitting or standing in rapture at his technical wizardry flying up and down the neck, his left fingers with barely enough time to fret the strings.  Much of the audience would hold its breath, an involuntary reflex to increase the "signal to noise" ratio, maximizing the effect.  Occasionally, after one of Doc's more outrageous flourishes, the audience gasped in uniform amazement.

Doc had that magical "touch" that few musicians possess.  He could play six simple notes, or maybe as few as two or three, and make your heart ache with each stroke of his pick. 

At the Masonic Auditorium I saw Segovia in the early 70s, who played to a few thousand persons.  Segovia was ethereal.  He had similar technical wizardry as Doc, but more "controlled" and (seemingly) more deliberate.  He too had Doc's "touch," being seemingly unable to play a guitar note lacking emotional beauty.   

Circa 2008 I saw Tommy Emmanuel here in north Utah at USU's Caine Performance Hall, a gorgeous small venue with superb natural acoustics (designed by award winning firm, side walls with huge adjustable drop down acoustic panels).  Tommy is lightning quick, as quick as any guitarist I've seen or heard.  Being blind, Doc never had reason to look at the fret board.  Tommy is sighted, but he has that performance trick of staring out to audience members while his left hand flies from the guitar body to the nut and back again, increasing the viewer's wow factor. 

Tommy has an apparently kind, gentle, and loving spirit.  I might put his "touch" factor one step below the above two virtuosos, but he's every bit their technical equal, maybe even beyond. 

List your favorite technical wizards you've seen live.

simoon

Re: Technical wizards you saw play?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2013, 06:27 pm »
No doubt, for me it has to be Allan Holdsworth.

Yes he is fast and clean. But his technical wizardry also comes from his voicing, chord progressions, speed, phrasing, etc which are unmatched and completely unique. The list of guitarists in the fusion, jazz, prog-rock and rock genres that are quoted as saying he was one of their biggest influences, is almost endless.

A good friend of mine, a Berklee grad, said this about Holdsworth -

"his innovative, unique approach to improv is unmatched. The greatest jazz soloists (McCoy, Brecker, Freddie, Coltrane, etc.), all had predecessors on their respective instruments that they copped licks from and modified with their own voice. There clearly is no guitar lineage leading up to Allan's approach. This freak landed ship with a completely new vocabulary not based on anything that was already established. No blues, pentatonics, bop, post-bop...NOTHING."

Ralph Towner.

Another completely unique player. Major chops on acoustic, no doubt. His use of classical technique in a jazz idiom was and still is super innovative.

His solo releases on the ECM jazz label and his work with the group Oregon all show his talent.

Sean Lane.

The fastest, cleanest player I've ever seen.

Born in Memphis, his early experience was playing with Southern artists. At the age of 14 he became the lead guitarist for Black Oak Arkansas. He also worked with Ringo Starr, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Reggie Young, Joe Walsh.

Later in his life he went in the jazz fusion direction, which is where I became interested in his music.

But seriously, if you want to be stunned into jaw dropping silence by shear speed and technique, go to YT and check out some of his vids. Guitar World mag said this about him in 208, "Few, if any, guitarists can play faster than Lane could, and his arpeggio sweeps and precision-picked lines blasted more rapid-fire notes than the average human mind could comprehend."

His collaborations with Swedish jazz bassist, Jonas Hellborg, are incredible.

Sadly, his health issues related to chronic psoriatic arthritis took him in 2003 at the age of 40.

Others I could mention are:

Fusion -

John Maclaughlin
Alex Machacek
Scott McGill

Prog-metal -

John Petrucci
Paul Masvidal
Ron Jarzombek - not only is super fast and clean, but his ability to play in the most complex, constantly changing time signatures possible, add an entirely different layer to his technique and wizardry.

I've had the pleasure of seeing so many technical wizards, but for me technique is not enough to hold my attention without the rest of the package. For example, Steve Vai is a technical wizard that does nothing for me.

Great topic though.

rockadanny

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2013, 07:25 pm »
Stanley Jordan and Bob Maxey Ford ...

Last night of 10 day-long road trip up to Detroit visiting family. Staying with my bro and family in Grosse Pointe Farms. That night storm whipped up, and a large tree limb crashed down on our car, just missing me as I was at the trunk, and nearly totaled it. Wiped out the hood, windshield, front corner panel, headlight, and bumper. My shorts did get totaled. :oops:

So, we were stuck there an extra week while the car got fixed. Strolled into their little downtown one night and came upon a small bar where Stanley Jordan was performing. There couldn’t have been more than 20 people in the “crowd”. He was amazing. Not only due to his unique percussive fingerstyle guitar playing, but for one entire tune he sat at the piano and played lead piano with one hand while playing rhythm guitar with the other. Then switched halfway through, playing lead guitar with one hand and rhythm piano with the other. Not only executing it perfectly, but with convincing emotion as well. Simply terrific. :thumb:

And technical proficiency kudos to the dearlership as well, getting all of that fixed and painted within five days, as promised. That was amazing as well. :thumb:

cronsell

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2013, 07:40 pm »
Wynton Marsalis doesn't prove it often in his performances, but he's one of the most technically gifted wind musicians I've heard live...and musically expressive beyond most technical players.

I've seen Satriani tear it up on stage, and shared the stage with Brian Bromberg...he's a freak.

I still have to say, no one comes close to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.  Every time I see them live I'm blown away by their abilities, every one of them.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2013, 09:04 pm »
I am listening to him right now through my headphones, Mr. Guthrie Govan!  :thumb:  I saw him play last month as a member of "The Aristocrats".  He is a student of guitar history which is why I love him so much.  He has an incredible knack to emulate any guitarist while his solo material has a sound all his own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ct7qKCK8UM

If I could turn back time 10 years to attend a concert I would see Shawn Lane play like no other can.   :bowdown:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2013, 10:33 pm »
Was fortunate enough to see Leo Kottke, and an up & comer at the time Michael Hedges (since passed, much too early) in the same concert. While I've listened to Leo for years, at the time I wasn't familiar with Michael, who opened. Both have/had an ability to make 1 guitar sound like many. Left you wondering how many hands they had, and where all the notes were coming from. Clean, clear, precise, and simply stunning. This was close to 30 years ago, and last I checked Leo is still going strong. If by chance you aren't familiar with their music I suggest you check them out. Genre-wise tough to pidgeon hole. Folk, Bluegrass, is probably as close as I can come, but it's more.

Have seen both Jeff Beck and Pat Metheny, imo they are both pretty technically proficient, though totally different styles of play.

Have never seen Ralph or Bela, though tried last year when he was in town with the Marcus Roberts Trio. Hope to catch him with the Flecktones some time, maybe this year. His DVD "Live At The Quick" is pretty mind blowing.  8)
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2013, 01:33 am by ArthurDent »

cronsell

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2013, 10:40 pm »
ArthurDent...interesting coincidence: My first Bela Fleck show was in 1995, and the opener was Michael Hedges with Michael Manring...they finished the night all on stage playing together.  I was in the front row, center stage; it left an indelible impression on me!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2013, 10:44 pm »
IIRC Hedges was associated with Klein Guitars of Sonoma, CA.  I had the sublime pleasure of playing a Klein Jumbo (flat top) at Klein's reseller in Sonoma.  Of my most preferred flat tops played or heard, the Klein Jumbo was second only to a new $19k Santa Cruz Dreadnaught at 2011 NAMM.  The Klein was used, in the same price range. 

Hard to say which of the two above guitars would appreciate more.  The Santa Cruz sounded like an orchestra played behind you, but the Klein was a one of kind jewel, unique, as per every Klein.  The SC looked like an aged super special Dreadnaught, but at the end of the day it was another Dreadnaught.

I'll take both!   

jupiterboy

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2013, 10:53 pm »
Stanley Jordan
Steve Morse
Paco de Lucía
John Abercrombie
Al Di Meola

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2013, 01:28 pm »
Some of you guys got to see Michael Hedges play?   :thankyou:

What was that experience like?  I imagine seeing him live is one of those things that a person carries with them for a lifetime.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:32 pm »
Billy Sheehan - was that a bass guitar he was playing?

Buddy Rich!

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:45 pm »
Steve Howe of YES. I had 2nd row in the orchestra pit, he was about 10 feet way. Many, many, many fricken' guitars......

Wayner

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2013, 04:35 pm »
Billy Sheehan - was that a bass guitar he was playing?

Buddy Rich!

Buddy Rich, Yeah!  Forty-five years ago, Avallon Ballroom, or Fillmore West, can't remember which!  After meeting James Bongiorno thirty some years later, there seemed to be a strange physical resemblance. 

Buddy did about about a ten minute solo (IIRC while smoking a cigarette) that would make Ginger Baker green with envy.  Audience went nuts.  His big band was surreal and outrageous. Audience was blind in blackness, band members well lit, bright spots on Buddy. 

Wow, what a showman, had to be in his DNA.   

cronsell

« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2013, 05:51 pm »
When I saw Michael Hedges perform I was young and fairly daring.  I had been performing at the same hall in the pit for some musicals, so I walked into his sound check like I owned the place and got to catch all the pre show stuff too.  When it was time to clear the hall, I asked the ticket booth for three pieces of paper and a marker.  I wrote RESERVED on each piece of paper, walked to the front row center seats, and laid them down.  The show was general admission, so when both lines were let in, we raced down the aisles to the front.  The other guy beat me, but sat next to the "reserved" seats...worked like a charm.  I'd never do that today, but it made for a great experience!  Hedges was very peaceful on stage, filled with a gentle sense about him. He was a very sincere and generous performer.  Hearing him play his harp guitar was amazing...the tone!  My buddy, a bass player, was asked onto stage to hold one of three basses during Michael Manring's solo piece "My Three Moons".  I still have one third of the set list from the Bela Fleck set; my two friends and I split it up and had all the guys autograph it.  It's a cool memento of a wonderful concert...so much talent on one stage!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2013, 03:34 am »
I would love to hear Allan Holdsworth play!  He's a favorite of mine.  Of guys I have seen play I'd have to rate Tony MacAlpine as one of the most incredible.  He's a prog/metal guitarist that is also a conservatory trained classical pianist.  I've never seen anyone play so fast on guitar with that kind of surgical precision and immaculate tone.  And the fact that he would alternate between keyboard and guitar was even more impressive.

I also saw Jake E. Lee play with Badlands once.  He's best known, I suppose, from his days with Ozzy Osbourne.  Very impressive guitarist.  I've also seen Eddie Van Halen back in his heyday, too.

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2013, 05:20 am »
Jaco Pastorious

michaelhigh

« Reply #16 on: 2 Oct 2013, 02:54 pm »
Seen Steve Howe 7 times in the 70's, amazing.

Saw Return To Forever (Al DiMeola) tour Romantic Warrior in '76 or '77. That was an incredible concert, they played that one album and split. Millions of notes played by all!

I thought he was was the guitar tech till he kicked off the concert. He looked ratty with dirty t-shirt and sneakers.

I can't remember exactly between those two years.

Lots of recreational substances, and Columbian Gold!  :green:

dougme57

« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2013, 05:25 pm »
Steve Howe many times - Huge Yes fan
Keith Emerson
Jaco
Phil Collins with Genesis
Stanley Clark, Al and Ponty - Rites of Strings tour
Steve Morse

Leaving some out, I'm old lol

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 2 Oct 2013, 06:14 pm »
When I saw Michael Hedges perform I was young and fairly daring.  I had been performing at the same hall in the pit for some musicals, so I walked into his sound check like I owned the place and got to catch all the pre show stuff too.  When it was time to clear the hall, I asked the ticket booth for three pieces of paper and a marker.  I wrote RESERVED on each piece of paper, walked to the front row center seats, and laid them down.  The show was general admission, so when both lines were let in, we raced down the aisles to the front.  The other guy beat me, but sat next to the "reserved" seats...worked like a charm.  I'd never do that today, but it made for a great experience!  Hedges was very peaceful on stage, filled with a gentle sense about him. He was a very sincere and generous performer.  Hearing him play his harp guitar was amazing...the tone!  My buddy, a bass player, was asked onto stage to hold one of three basses during Michael Manring's solo piece "My Three Moons".  I still have one third of the set list from the Bela Fleck set; my two friends and I split it up and had all the guys autograph it.  It's a cool memento of a wonderful concert...so much talent on one stage!

Awesome story!  Thank you for sharing  :notworthy: :notworthy:

Freo-1

« Reply #19 on: 2 Oct 2013, 09:39 pm »
I was fortunate enough to see this gentlemen live in Providence, RI:

https://www.google.com/#gs_ssp=eJzj4tTP1TcwNMs2MwIAC_cCSQ&q=itzhak+Perlman

He was the soloist for this performance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheherazade_(Rimsky-Korsakov)

Incredibly moving. (Violins are a type of guitar).  :lol: