ALTEC 604E

Guglielmo

ALTEC 604E
« on: 19 Sep 2013, 09:48 am »
Hello to everybody,  :wave:

I am new in this Forum and I would share with OB fans some ideas and project plans.

I am going to get a mint matched pair of Altec 604E so I am looking for a proper enclosure for this glorious driver. I read a lot about "original" boxes like 612 or 620 or DIY wonderful enclosures but in almost all cases the project requires a huge amount of internal volume.

I live in a small lodging so I can't afford a big speaker cabinet thus I need your skilled help to get the better performances even in a small volume enclosure or, why not, in an OB fitting.

First of all my available space would be in a "bookshelf-like" location namely on the upper shelf of a living room furniture. The possible maximum space is 34" length X 12" depth while the height is free even if less than the length.

I read also that this driver may accomplish some new trends like the Open Baffle design with a lot of natural fresh musical reproduction even if perhaps with some bass lacking...
This Open Baffle theory could be a good approach for me because I could consider a frontal baffle with the 604 fitted to it and all around a frame less than 12" to allow rear flow of waves against the wall. Actually the enclosure would be an open baffle C shaped (front baffle with 4 wings all around namely a box w/out the rear panel!). By the way the cabinet location on the shelf is just in front of the wall.
The other solution may be a classic bass-reflex but I guess that in this way I will have some problem with very limited bass response.
The allowed dimension are to be intended external so it must be considered for internal volume calculation the ¾” wood thickness.
Please may you help me in suggesting the right design for these Altec’s.

I appreciate your contribution!

Guglielmo