How to use TV speakers or external speakers with a flick of a switch?

TF1216

• Industry Participant
I would like my girlfriend to be able to control the cable box and TV's volume using a single remote.  I love the ergonomics of our DirecTV remote so it's the one I would like her to use. 

When I watch TV I would like to be able to route the signal(s) from the cable box to the receiver which I use as a preamp for my amplifier.  I would prefer to not use an optical cable from the cable box to receiver because I intend on using the optical input of the receiver for Netflix on the TV.

The cable box has only one HDMI output so I am thinking I need a device that I can plug into that accepts a single input with more than one output.  One input would go into the TV and the other into the receiver which would then feed signal to the TV.  Is there a solution that uses an HDMI splitter that does not have to be powered?  I have a box at home that accepts multiple HDMI inputs with a single output.  I like how easy it is to press a button and the input changes.  This device does not required DC power.

I have a Harmony One remote which I don't want her to have to use.  I would like her to press the ON button and have the TV working as she is used to.  I, on the other hand, do not mind using the Harmony One or pressing a couple buttons manually to get the speakers fired up. 

Any suggestions?

WGH

Does your TV and receiver support the Audio Return Channel (ARC)? HDMI v. 1.4 has the ability to transfer audio from the TV back to a home theater receiver and listen to your TV's audio through your home theater audio system instead of the TV's speakers without having to connect a second cable between the TV and home theater system.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Does your TV and receiver support the Audio Return Channel (ARC)? HDMI v. 1.4 has the ability to transfer audio from the TV back to a home theater receiver and listen to your TV's audio through your home theater audio system instead of the TV's speakers without having to connect a second cable between the TV and home theater system.

Yes sir it does.  The manual shows (ARC) under the HDMI2 input.  Is your suggestion to plug the cable box into the TV's HDMI1 input then TV's HDMI2 out to my receiver?

WC

Yes sir it does.  The manual shows (ARC) under the HDMI2 input.  Is your suggestion to plug the cable box into the TV's HDMI1 input then TV's HDMI2 out to my receiver?

Plug the toslink from the cable box into the receiver. This will allow you to get surround sound from the cable box. the ARC from the TV will allow you to get 5.1 from Netflix on the TV.

WGH

I think you will have to experiment. I have had a home theater since the analog Hi-Fi Stereo VCR days and now it's all digital with the OTA Digital TV, computer, and Blu-Ray all wired together but how I get there so everything works is usually a mystery to me.

Another option is to use the TV (or Netflix) optical out and plug in a Optical Toslink to Coaxial (RCA) Digital Audio Converter ($12) from Monoprice which enables you to use the Digital RCA input on your receiver.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2948&seq=1&format=2